Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need Some Opinions

Go down 
+6
powermacho
Stender
ultmetal
sam
mc666
MetalGuy71
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:18 am

Stopped by the used shop yesterday after work. Didn't have much cash, but I found a few things I might go back for this week. I told the owner to hold 'em behind the counter for me. Here's what I'm holding:

Forbidden - Green
Dark Angel - Live Scars
High on Fire - (don't recall the name, I'm pretty sure it's their latest)
Jagged Edge UK - Trouble ep
Jagged Edge UK - Fuel for your Soul

The Forbidden cd is a definate, the others are pending. There's probably more, as I didn't have allot of time to spend looking around and I haven't been there for awhile. Any opinions, good or bad, are welcome.

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:21 am

High On Fire - Death Is This Communion (the latest) - I love this album, it's a "grower", gets better with each listen. I'd definitely snag it.

Need Some Opinions J04584m6var
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:25 am

detuned wrote:
High On Fire - Death Is This Communion (the latest) - I love this album, it's a "grower", gets better with each listen. I'd definitely snag it.

Yea, that's the one. I've been on the fence with these guys, soley because of the vocals. The music is great. I'll probably give this one a shot though. It was cheap ($6) and in mint condition

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
detuned wrote:

Yea, that's the one. I've been on the fence with these guys, soley because of the vocals. The music is great. I'll probably give this one a shot though. It was cheap ($6) and in mint condition

You get used to the vocals, not really that different from Motorhead-style. This album is a great combination of thrash tendencies with elements of progressive & doom thrown in the mix. Plus, Matt Pike is one of the most interesting metal guitarists on the scene (my opinion of course).
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:38 am

if the Forbidden is a positive, i'd also go with the High on Fire. both take a few listens to get into, but are well worth it.

sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:40 am

definitely go with the high on fire, best disc of 2007.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:50 am

I love Live Scars, but I wouldn't let that be my first DA album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:54 am

I've not heard the High on Fire, but I did see them live and enjoyed them.

Dark Angel rules!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:20 am

I've heard some good & bad things about that Forbidden cd, but I've got a few of their other discs, so I figured I'd bulk up my collection. And it's not one that shows up in used bins that often. Same deal with the Dark Angel cd. The only other one I have is Time Does Not Heal, so I figured I'd pick that one up.

How about the Jagged Edge UK cd's? They seem to more in the melodic/hair metal genre, but I was wondering if they're rarities or anything. Soemwhat average, from the reviews I've read. The drummer went on to play in Bruce Dickenson's solo band and was the inspiration for the song "I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer" Kooky.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 am

I'd say get the Forbidden and Dark angel.
Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've heard some good & bad things about that Forbidden cd...
A lot of people trash that album, but I love it. It is very different, though. It's not really a thrash album. Get beyond that fact, and it's really a very underrated metal disc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've heard some good & bad things about that Forbidden cd...
A lot of people trash that album, but I love it. It is very different, though. It's not really a thrash album. Get beyond that fact, and it's really a very underrated metal disc.

That's what I've heard. Some industrial noise or something? Eh, I'm willing to give it a shot anyhow.

No comments on Jagged Egde? Dang, where's Shiney when you need him? He's always good for a comment on these glammier hair band guys.

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:45 pm

You can get the Jagged Edge CDs for me. =)

And I'm going to have to disagree with the industrial reference to Green. That's not accurate at all.

Just a bit more mid-paced and groovy.
Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 pm

"embedding disabled by request"
Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Both awesome...great hooks.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Forbidden is hard to find, I would go for this one
Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Out of the five, I would grab the Jagged Edge disc first. But that is just me. The DA is a live album, which if you have the studio albums, would knock it to the bottom of the list. That Forbidden sucks. Great band that sound very little like themselves on that album. And I don't know anything about the HoF.
Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:05 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
"embedding disabled by request"
thinking

I imagine that's quite the roadblock, then.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 pm

I love Dark Angel, but have never heard the live album apart from the Fear cover. I almost bought it at a used CD store a little over two years ago, but didn't get it because I wanted a couple of other albums there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
And I don't know anything about the HoF.

Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 am

Hmmm - not bad, de. Could be REALLY good with different vox. Black Sabbath on 78 with a splash of I Mother Earth.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Hmmm - not bad, de. Could be REALLY good with different vox. Black Sabbath on 78 with a splash of I Mother Earth.

Yah, I kinda liked that. If the vocals had been maybe one register up, it would have been even better. Still, not a bad tune. Might have to look into them a bit more (eventually, anyway).

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Stopped by the used shop yesterday after work. Didn't have much cash, but I found a few things I might go back for this week. I told the owner to hold 'em behind the counter for me. Here's what I'm holding:

Forbidden - Green
Dark Angel - Live Scars
High on Fire - (don't recall the name, I'm pretty sure it's their latest)

The Forbidden cd is a definate, the others are pending. There's probably more, as I didn't have allot of time to spend looking around and I haven't been there for awhile. Any opinions, good or bad, are welcome.

Picked up the Forbidden, Dark Angel and HoF discs. Skipped the Jagged Edge discs because I found some other stuff that I wanted more. I listened to Forbidden on the way into work this morning. Definately different than their older stuff. For some reason it reminds me of Static-X, which is really odd because I'm not a fan of Static-X, nor do I know their music, other than maybe a song or 2.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Go back to that shop and get that JAGGED EDGE ep. Its far better then their lp FUEL FOR YOUR SOUL. Nice hard rock.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Grab the JAGGED EDGE cds...then send them to me. Very Happy

I have "Fuel..." on cassette... and I loves me the hair metal...

Need Some Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Some Opinions   Need Some Opinions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Some Opinions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next