Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Disturbed just rock!!!

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:04 pm

The Hoff just rocks too!!

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:14 pm

When the "post-" prefix is added to a genre (Post-hardcore, post-punk, post-metal, etc.) it's shorthand for "this band sucks"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm

exact33 wrote:
The Hoff just rocks too!!

Are you German?!! Laughing very hard

@ fat freddy Joy Division were Post Punk, Alcest are called Post Black Metal. Both are awesome!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

@ fat freddy Joy Division were Post Punk, Alcest are called Post Black Metal. Both are awesome!

Post-Toasties, post-whatever. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Whenever a genre has "post" in front of it, that's when I officially become confused as to what the actual genre is.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
metalheaded wrote:

I think all those bands are an insult to real metal....

You win the Manowar "All oiled up and ready for a REAL metal party" award for the day.

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Manowar1

lol!

Lol, nice one!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
When the "post-" prefix is added to a genre (Post-hardcore, post-punk, post-metal, etc.) it's shorthand for "this band sucks"

That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Wink
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 pm

When ya write a band name on a post-it and stick it on the fridge, then forget to grab the note when ya go to town, thus can't buy the cd. That really sucks.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Wink

Oh dear! Whenever someone says 'that's a fact' on the internet they are always talking out of their butt dance

And that's a FACT! lol!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 5:15 pm

yeah, I hate those labels, but there are a number of bands labeled post-rock or post-metal which are fantastic, unless you have absolutely zero patience, diversity, or concept of atmosphere. I'm sure at least a few people here dig some Neurosis, and Isis has some really good records as well ('Wavering Radiant' is just an excellent progressive metal album), and then the band I feel closest to is probably Cult of Luna. 'Somewhere Along The Highway' focuses on loneliness and a few other themes, that record just WORKS the whole way through.

Really wouldn't know what to call some of it, but post-metal is about the dumbest and most obnoxious thing I can think of. If you don't like metal, go away, don't make up a genre to feel un-embarrassed about listening to 'heavy music'.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Kill 'em All is Metallica's best album.

"Horrorscope" is a great album, but not Overkill's magnum opus like a lot of people believe.

Same with Rust in Peace.

"Christian" metal should be considered canonical and celebrated or at least acknowledged by rock fans and critics, especially when it comes to the thrash, death, and industrial bands.

Judas Priest stopped writing decent ballads after Stained Class (unless you're one of those that call Touch of Evil a ballad).

Touch of Evil is nowhere near a ballad.

I could do without ballads, really.

Joey Belladonna isn't a very good singer, although I suppose that shouldn't matter.

More on that post-_____ stuff later, thank you for the answers, they were stimulating.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm starting to look at my Postman in a different light now! Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 352445
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Joey Belladonna isn't a very good singer, although I suppose that shouldn't matter.

Have you heard their latest EP?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm

For some reason, I'm not wild about some of belladonna's vocals on among the living, but he sounds good on the others. I really liked his vocals on worship music.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Don't need to, I've seen him live three times. Corphlinks is right.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 am

ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Just Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Still meh for me. My wife confirms this as a former trained vocal coach. He's one of her least favorite vocalists. Don't get me wrong, I still love the band. Just unlike everyone else, I find him to be mediocre.

On a side note, she finds Halford, Dickinson, Dio, and Baz to be extremely efficient and competent vocalists, comparable to most trained professionals. And she's not even a fan of metal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 am

corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Just Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Still meh for me. My wife confirms this as a former trained vocal coach. He's one of her least favorite vocalists. Don't get me wrong, I still love the band. Just unlike everyone else, I find him to be mediocre.

If you think he's mediocre, I'd hate to see what you would think of my vocals as I consider myself a mediocre singer.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:08 am

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

If you think he's mediocre, I'd hate to see what you would think of my vocals as I consider myself a mediocre singer.

I'm actually quite forgiving with vocalists; I just think Joey is overrated. But enough of that; it's time to hear you sing. Waiting for a youtube upload... greedy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:18 am

corplhicks wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I'm actually quite forgiving with vocalists; I just think Joey is overrated. But enough of that; it's time to hear you sing. Waiting for a youtube upload... greedy

I did that once but wasn't in my best form. Got some good vocal tips though. As years go by, I think my dream of being a vocalist will have to be put aside. Maybe while I'm spending the next year or so during my over-the-road trucking, I can improve my vocals and once I get a local job, start doing Kareokee again. If I can get someone to record it, I will then post. I can't do it now because I really don't get the opportunity to sing aloud at home as my dad is almost always here (when I recorded my singing last time, he was on the road for weeks on end and I had the house to myself most of the time).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 am

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I did that once but wasn't in my best form. Got some good vocal tips though. As years go by, I think my dream of being a vocalist will have to be put aside. Maybe while I'm spending the next year or so during my over-the-road trucking, I can improve my vocals and once I get a local job, start doing Kareokee again. If I can get someone to record it, I will then post. I can't do it now because I really don't get the opportunity to sing aloud at home as my dad is almost always here (when I recorded my singing last time, he was on the road for weeks on end and I had the house to myself most of the time).

Duuuuuude I feel you. I love singing, nothing great here (search "Shay Clay" in quotes on youtube and you'll see), and I was a high-volume songwriter once upon a time, but like I said my wife is a trained singer so I get rather intimidated by singing around her. Plus we only have 1600 sq ft and the kids have to sleep etc. I drive a lot for my job, about 30k miles a year, and I used to belt it out, warm up, memorize my lyrics, all that jazz. Now "the dream is over" and I just don't have the drive anymore, but this is in no way a bad thing; my dreams just changed (like how I'm changing the direction of this topic, sorry everyone). Anyway, now I practice my guitar at home which satisfies me; currently I'm working on Mr. Scary.

And man do I miss karaoke.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm

My feeling on the whole "post-" or "-core" designation is that stuff like that can serve as a gateway to other things. So it might not be what I'd listen to or purchase, but I'm cool with all those scenes for that alone.

Generally I prefer songs to be longer than five minutes over songs that are under three. This is the direct opposite of how I felt twenty years ago. I also like longer albums over those that are too short.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 pm

jstate wrote:
Generally I prefer songs to be longer than five minutes over songs that are under three. This is the direct opposite of how I felt twenty years ago. I also like longer albums over those that are too short.

A very valid point but I'm the reverse; I love epic songwriting (hell it's been almost 20 years and I still can't get Rime of the Ancient Mariner out of my head) but these days my preference is for short, sporadic, quick and dirty songs/albums. I think that's why Reign in Blood is my most-played CD even though Hell Awaits is a better album. I'm guessing it goes back to that whole thing about having less time on my hands.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:07 pm

1- I like John Bush better Joey Belladonna

2- The Tony Martin Black Sabbath created some great albums

3- Done with Mirrors and Rock IN a Hard Place are excellent Aerosmith albums despite what popular opinion says about them

4- Gary Moore's blues era is better then his hard rock/metal era

5- The Steve Morse era of Deep Purple is almost as good as the classic line up

6- Manowar is a funnier parody then Spinal Tap and Steel Panther

7- Temple of Blood and I actually agree on things from time to time
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 pm

manny wrote:

3- Done with Mirrors and Rock IN a Hard Place are excellent Aerosmith albums despite what popular opinion says about them

Rock In A Hard Place is my favorite Aerosmith album!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 14 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 24  Next