Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
I don't like Led Zeppelin
Me either, I also do not like The Doors or the Beatles.

I like Pantera's 80s material better then some of their later albums.
I'm with ya on the Doors (mostly) and the Beatles (especially!) but the Led Zep box set changed my mind on that band.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Here's something that'll get my metal card revoked, I really like keyboards.

Also I quite enjoy Raven- The Pack Is Back.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Pantera is WAY overrated, but this is coming from a guy who grew up on 80's metal bands... I can kinda see them as being the "big thing in metal" for someone 10 years younger than me who grew up during the 90s.

Overkill's "Hello From The Gutter" is one of their most popular staple concert songs, but that song is just average. There are many, many much better Overkill songs than that one.

The tri-tone is not evil.

Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

I do, too. Nothing un-metal about that at all. Unless they're played in a non-metal way, making it sound like something other than metal.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:07 pm

I like some metalcore. Converge, Poison the Well, Zao, etc.

I'm not huge on thrash, usually. (Unless it's live, I think. I really enjoyed the intensity of the Anthrax show last weekend).

My favorite Def Leppard album is Pyromania.

I don't enjoy Manowar at all, save for the song "Gloves of Metal".

Power Windows is a fantastic Rush album; their last awesome one for a long while.

I like Tool quite a bit.

Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

You think so? I'll raise you one:

Beyond a few months when I was around 15, AC/DC have never interested me. I like about three to four songs, but the rest bore me to tears.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Sutekh wrote:

Beyond a few months when I was around 15, AC/DC have never interested me. I like about three to four songs, but the rest bore me to tears.

You sir are dead to me. Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 201269

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Sutekh wrote:

You sir are dead to me. Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 201269

Wait till I mention Kiss Razz
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Oh, I agree with Kiss. I tried and tried and tried to get into Kiss, but nothing ever really clicked with me.

The only Kiss song's I've truly enjoyed were the extra tracks from the Killers LP that were included on the greatest hits comp I have.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Oh, I agree with Kiss. I tried and tried and tried to get into Kiss, but nothing ever really clicked with me.

The only Kiss song's I've truly enjoyed were the extra tracks from the Killers LP that were included on the greatest hits comp I have.

Add another one to the Dead To Me List. Very Happy

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

I thought I was already on that one, Toho? Wink
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Seriously, I think this is a fun thread. It's like "I'm a metalhead but..."

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Not yet but you're on life support. A slam against AC/DC might pull your plug.

Hey, I just made a funny. AC/DC, pull the plug... I crack me up!

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm

In almost every case I'll take music from the 70s over music from the 80s & 90s.

Probably about 80% of the music I listened to during the 1980s and 1990s I no longer own and have no desire to revisit.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

The only negative I have about AC/DC is that I can't stand Brian Johnson. I only really dig Bon Scott-era stuff.

But remember, we both like Jethro Tull and Steely Dan! Razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Wurthless wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

The only negative I have about AC/DC is that I can't stand Brian Johnson. I only really dig Bon Scott-era stuff.

AND...while I don't dislike Brian Johnson as much as you apparently do, I much prefer the Bon Scott stuff.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

AND...while I don't dislike Brian Johnson as much as you apparently do, I much prefer the Bon Scott stuff.

Woah. Is this what common ground feels like? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 pm

This one will probably make me unpopular 'round these parts:

I have never understood why Vengeance Rising are so revered. To me they were a competent, if unspectacular, thrash band, albeit with one of the more irritating vocalists I'd ever heard.

... and before anyone tells me "Ohhh, you had to be there," I WAS there. I remember all the whoop-de-doo about'em when they came out, I checked'em out, they did nothin' for me then and they do nothin' for me now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I have never understood why Vengeance Rising are so revered. To me they were a competent, if unspectacular, thrash band, albeit with one of the more irritating vocalists I'd ever heard.

... and before anyone tells me "Ohhh, you had to be there," I WAS there. I remember all the whoop-de-doo about'em when they came out, I checked'em out, they did nothin' for me then and they do nothin' for me now.
I don't like Vengeance Rising either, even putting the lyrics aside(which are hard take seriously now anyways considering the lead singer is no longer a christian), the music just dosen't blow me away. Also not a huge fan of Bride, lyrics-wise I find them awfully heavy-handed and music-wise I think they're merely OK.

As for Mortification, I actually like Silver Chord Is Severed better then some of their more well-known output.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I like vengeance rising (particularly human sacrifice), but I can't listen to them as much as a lot of other thrash bands because Martinez's vocals grate on my nerves. I like the music on the first two a lot, though. I just wish they had a different vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

On a similar note, i think synthesizers do have a place in metal, especially in helping create a tone or atmosphere for a certain song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm not a huge fan of synthesizers but I think grand pianos, electric pianos and Hammond organs sound great in metal.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
I don't like Led Zeppelin
Me either, I also do not like The Doors or the Beatles.

I like Pantera's 80s material better then some of their later albums.

Vexer and I agree on something!!! I dont like the doors and like Zepplin even less but The beatles are rising somewhat in my estimation.

Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:37 pm

This thread is awesome. I agree with a lot of opinions expressed already:
AC/DC sucks because their songs are uninteresting.
KISS also sucks.
Totally agree that Vengeance Rising are overrated. I haven't listened to their first two cds in at least a few years.

I also think Deliverance are incredibly overrated. When I was first really getting into the early Christian thrash bands around 2001 I really liked Deliverance. Now I avoid them like the plague. I should just get rid of the first two cds at some point, but I'm too lazy to even bother.

Oh, I also think that almost all of Ozzy's solo material sucks. I think that No More Tears is his only really good album, and even that one I haven't bothered to listen to in quite a few years. Otherwise I just like a couple songs off of the first few albums and that's it.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
This thread is awesome. I agree with a lot of opinions expressed already:
AC/DC sucks because their songs are uninteresting.
KISS also sucks.
Totally agree that Vengeance Rising are overrated. I haven't listened to their first two cds in at least a few years.

I also think Deliverance are incredibly overrated. When I was first really getting into the early Christian thrash bands around 2001 I really liked Deliverance. Now I avoid them like the plague. I should just get rid of the first two cds at some point, but I'm too lazy to even bother.

Oh, I also think that almost all of Ozzy's solo material sucks. I think that No More Tears is his only really good album, and even that one I haven't bothered to listen to in quite a few years. Otherwise I just like a couple songs off of the first few albums and that's it.
I don't particularly like Deliverance either, also not that big of a Stryper fan. I prefer Christian bands that take a more subtle approach with their lyrics like Ransom.

Speaking of Ozzy, in Black Sabbath I actually prefer albums like Forbidden, Cross Purposes, TYR and Headless Cross over some of the Ozzy era stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 4 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 24  Next