Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...

Go down 
+24
vanillaviking
Wargod
nevermore
James B.
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
Olafsto
DallasBlack
Infinite
Gilbert
Big Rich
MetalGuy71
adrian
Leatherface
speed101
Eyesore
stormspell
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Troublezone
ultmetal
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Pretty cool.

Their updates suck, though. Haha.

Yea they do. It might be just as bad as the Timo Tolkki ones.

It took them a long time to just get to that 100%. Either they aren't really promoting it that well or no one cares. Shame cause i've loved this band since I heard Cuatro. When I did Tolkkis Pledge music project it only took a few weeks.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:25 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Pretty cool.

Their updates suck, though. Haha.
Eh, the only update I need is whether they would make it or not.
After all the brilliant updates we got from Ginger, I'm spoiled. But I think they did it right. The fans are a huge part of this new process; reward them with something other than what they ultimately paid for. It doesn't take much effort in this day and age, with the ease of technology, to keep give the fans more of an inside look.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:04 am

These are the kind of updates this band is giving people:

HORRIBLE!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
These are the kind of updates this band is giving people:

HORRIBLE!

Laughing very hard
That`s being nice Eyesore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:58 am

Ummmm.....that's it ?
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I think fan-funding is great. For the fan, I think it's cool to be part of it, to know you helped to get an album made. Especially if you love the band.

Also, just because a band has been making albums for over 20 years, doesn't mean they generate enough interest beyond their niche market for a label to want to drop anything on them, or the label doesn't *think* they will generate enough interest, anyway...fan-funding is a good way to prove labels wrong.

Or Jason Newstead could just flow his old mates some of his Load money.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:33 pm

The latest update:

Dreadful. In comparison, this is typically the stuff we got from Ginger and his campaign:

Long clips, a little look at the band recording, funny stuff, etc. Nearly every update was pure entertainment. Flotsam's stuff is lame. I pledged for the Luscious Jackson campaign, too, and their updates are just as bad—pictures of their handmade drawings or some of the other signed items you can pledge for, even a recipe for a veggie smoothie! Oooh.

If bands want the fans to directly fund their project, give them something better than that!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Quote :
If bands want the fans to directly fund their project, give them something better than that!

I agree that the Flots stuff is way lame, but it's still a new platform for promotion. If this pledging thing really starts to take off with bands, I'm sure you'll see them putting more effort into the updates. In theory, anyway.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:14 pm

I don't care much about the updates, as long as the cd is good!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Yea I don't pay attention to the updates cause they've been horrible. Just let me know when the album is done and send it to me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 am

The cover artwork for "Ugly Noise", the new album from Arizona metal veterans FLOTSAM AND JETSAM, can be seen below. The CD will be released on November 21.

When asked about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the new album, FLOTSAM AND JETSAM guitarist Michael Gilbert told Metal Army America in July, "I worked with [former METALLICA and FLOTSAM AND JETSAM bassist] Jason Newsted on a few songs, and he's given me some tips about some things and opened my view up towards how I look at my music and how I want the listeners to perceive the points I'm trying to make."

He added, "[Jason] is really passionate about music, so when I called him and talked to him, I just wanted him to help out with some lyrical stuff and hear some of the music I was writing. He's a great songwriter, too. I'm not sure if everything that he got to do in METALLICA, if he was restrained a little bit, I'm not sure about all that sort of stuff, but as far as with me, anytime he wants to write with me, he's got full rein and he's got absolute say-so in everything that happens. It's a 50-50 relationship, as it would be with Eric ['A.K.' Knutson], our singer, writing music with us, or Kelly [David Smith], our drummer."

Regarding the musical direction of the new FLOTSAM AND JETSAM material, Gilbert said, "It's probably the most mature it's ever been, but if you wanna classify it as close to any other record that we've done, it's probably gonna be close to [1995's] 'Drift'. If we were gonna make a record right after 'Drift', which was out fifth record, 'Ugly Noise' would be the next one — with this lineup, you know."

Funding for the next FLOTSAM AND JETSAM album was aided by the PledgeMusic.com project, which encourages fans to contribute funds to the recording of albums and the artists themselves to donate to charity as a part of their fundraising.

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM last year parted ways with drummer Craig Nielsen and was rejoined by Kelly David Smith.

The band's current lineup is the same as the one that recorded the "Cuatro" (1992), "Drift" (1995) and "High" (1997) albums:

Eric "A.K." Knutson - Vocals
Ed Carlson - Guitar
Michael Gilbert - Guitar
Jason Ward - Bass
Kelly David Smith - Drums

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM's latest album, "The Cold", was released in Europe in February 2011 via Nuclear Blast. The CD's cover artwork was created by Travis Smith, who has previously worked with OPETH, NEVERMORE, AMORPHIS and KING DIAMOND, among others.

"The Cold" was released in North America on September 14, 2010.

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Flotsamuglynoise
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:26 am

The worst thrash metal artwork for 2012 and beyond, that's for sure! Smile

Then again F&J ain't thrash anymore, so it probably fits.

Last edited by stormspell on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 am

I like the cover.

Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:35 am

Don't get me wrong, for alterna/grunge album this art would be perfect. I just cannot associate it with F&J. But then again the last F&J album I really like is "When the Storm..." so I'm probably way out of line here...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 am

Yeah, I dig the artwork. Flots surely aren't thrash anymore. And from the samples I heard through this funding campaign, I'm not expecting much.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 am

Cool cover.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 10:01 am

I like the cover. Despite some of the opinions here, not every album needs a a hand drawn "throwback" cover to be good. Some bands like to evolve to 2012, not act like it's still 1986.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 am

I like the cover. Looking forward to hearing the new album.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 1:20 pm

As long as they still have a sound consistent with the last two, I'll love it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:08 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I like the cover. Despite some of the opinions here, not every album needs a a hand drawn "throwback" cover to be good. Some bands like to evolve to 2012, not act like it's still 1986.

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 25679
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

adrian wrote:

Same here, though I only know the last one. The Cold was such a suprise hit for me. When it ordered it, I never thought it'd be one of my top 10 albums that year but it was.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 3:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
adrian wrote:

Same here, though I only know the last one. The Cold was such a suprise hit for me. When it ordered it, I never thought it'd be one of my top 10 albums that year but it was.

If it's similar to The Cold, I'll like it. As for the cover, I like it too. It certainly brings the album title to mind.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Well, I see it the other way around: Very few bands can act and deliver like it is still 1986. The rest "evolve" Wink
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm

I like how the old school logo looks in the piano, its a cool cover. I'm a little surprised they are going back to the "Drift" era style especially with the last 2 albums, they seemed to be going in another direction and now they are back to the more commercial sounding stuff. Can't say they've done a bad album except for "High" maybe, but that one isn't even that bad. As long as the songs are listenable I don't care.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 8:20 pm

If they are going back to "Drift" then this cover will be the best thing about it. I was a huge fan back in the day, and they totally lost me with that one. What a lousy album. Only looks good in comparison to, say, FORBIDDEN's "Green".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next