Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...

Go down 
+24
vanillaviking
Wargod
nevermore
James B.
SpectreFate
ZombieHavoc
Olafsto
DallasBlack
Infinite
Gilbert
Big Rich
MetalGuy71
adrian
Leatherface
speed101
Eyesore
stormspell
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Troublezone
ultmetal
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:44 pm

adrian wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Didn't F&J's last album come out on the former K0rn guy's label (y'know, the dude who left K0rn cuz he found God, whatever his name is)?
And then was picked up by Nuclear Blast

...well, then no wonder they're going the fan-funded route. They've officially run out of labels to sign to, there are none left!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Big Rich wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
as much as i like the last F&J, i just can't bring myself to buy an album that hasn't been made yet.

I know that's how a lot of people feel. That's why the new Ultimatum we asked Roxx not to do that. Once the album is nearly done, then they will pre-sell special editions of the CD along with chance to win Ultimatum stuff. That way those who pre-order know they will get it quickly and they will get something extra but it doesn't cost any extra than someone purchasing the CD after the fact.
I have no problem with a band like Ultimatum doing this, and would most likely pledge just to help you guys out. But bands like F and J doing this? Nah, they have enough of a following to make a record on their own, or should be able to.
What is "enough fans," though? The Cold sold 600 copies in its first week. That number surely didn't go up from there. In fact, I would bet money in its second week it didn't even sell half as much.

But I bet ten times as many people downloaded it.

I said long ago, when illegal downloading became a serious issue, that bands should start holding albums until they hit a certain number of preorders, that way they can at least reach a number of sales where they break even. Otherwise, they just lose money creating a product that everyone steals. Kickstarter and PledgeMusic are basically the same idea. So I'm all for it, as long as bands do it right.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
as much as i like the last F&J, i just can't bring myself to buy an album that hasn't been made yet.

I know that's how a lot of people feel. That's why the new Ultimatum we asked Roxx not to do that. Once the album is nearly done, then they will pre-sell special editions of the CD along with chance to win Ultimatum stuff. That way those who pre-order know they will get it quickly and they will get something extra but it doesn't cost any extra than someone purchasing the CD after the fact.
I have no problem with a band like Ultimatum doing this, and would most likely pledge just to help you guys out. But bands like F and J doing this? Nah, they have enough of a following to make a record on their own, or should be able to.
What is "enough fans," though? The Cold sold 600 copies in its first week. That number surely didn't go up from there. In fact, I would bet money in its second week it didn't even sell half as much.

But I bet ten times as many people downloaded it.

I said long ago, when illegal downloading became a serious issue, that bands should start holding albums until they hit a certain number of preorders, that way they can at least reach a number of sales where they break even. Otherwise, they just lose money creating a product that everyone steals. Kickstarter and PledgeMusic are basically the same idea. So I'm all for it, as long as bands do it right.

Yea I don't mind either. Theres a lot of cool things you can buy as well instead of just a cd. I was iffy on this thing but once the Timo Tolkki and this F&J thing get going I'll be happy to get my autographed cds.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Great point, eyesore.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 am

New pre-production clip.

Sounds really good. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 am

I should get this one. F&J are still missing from my collection.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:40 pm

cool sounds better than those other 2 songs

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Think you're post was meant to go here biddle:
biddle wrote:
so what happens if the money is not raised...they seem to be recording already with the assumption that it's gonna happen?

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm

I assume they have to raise 100% of whatever it is they set out to raise or they get nothing and have to start over again with a lower amount of money. At least that is what I assume. I pledge to get a copy of the CD. $15 isn't a bad amount to pay for a new CD.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

If they're doing everything on their own, then there are tons of expenses beyond just recording. Album art, mixing, mastering, CD manufacturing, maybe vinyl as well, album promotion, etc.

But I only bought the CD, so the way I look at it is that it's simply a preorder.
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 pm

I pledged for the CD yesterday. I haven't missed an album yet from these guys, and I don't intend to start now.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm

I guess that the band are just sick of dealing with lables. They've had a pretty bumpy ride as far as record labels are concerned, but they are still plenty of labels out their who I'm sure would sign them. I've seen other bands go the independent route only to sign again with a label once they saw how hard it was to try to do it yourself. Bands still need labels as far as touring and stuff like that goes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I liked The Cold so much that I'm tempted to contribute.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 9:37 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I liked The Cold so much that I'm tempted to contribute.
Yeah, I still enjoy The Cold quite a bit. Can't wait for the new one
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 12:05 pm

74% there. 41 days left to pledge.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I think they'll make it.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Finally made my pledge for the cd. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Made my pledge for the album and a t-shirt.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:12 am

Looks like they're at 95% with like 20 days to go.

I just listened to all the clips they have available, sounds like this album will be at least as good as the last two if not better, can't wait!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm

adrian wrote:
Looks like they're at 95% with like 20 days to go.

I just listened to all the clips they have available, sounds like this album will be at least as good as the last two if not better, can't wait!

Hope they make it. Looking forward to my CD and t-shirt. headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Quote :
Flotsam and Jetsam: New Album: "Ugly Noise" has reached its target!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Pretty cool.

Their updates suck, though. Haha.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Great news! Can't wait to get my cd!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Pretty cool.

Their updates suck, though. Haha.

Eh, the only update I need is whether they would make it or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...   Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flotsam & Jetsam new album pledge drive...
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next