Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Alcohol Thread

Go down 
+25
metalinmyveins
DallasBlack
static
kmorg
ShadowAngel
SideShowDisaSter
Hamer12
DevZor
bassman
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Sole Survivor
GrandNational
nevermore
Shawn Of Fire
Andy
James B.
tohostudios
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
mc666
exact33
Lari
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

I know Metallica used to drink Jäger like it was going out of style. Lars called it lethal. From what I understand the stuff has opiates in the German version, which you can't get here in the U.S.

No that's crap. If Jagermeister contained opiated it would've been banned here. If it contained anything resembling drugs, it would've been forbidden just like Absinthe was forbidden until 1998 (and since then only a special type of Absinthe with strongly reduced Thujone is allowed, real Absinthe is still forbidden as it's deemed too dangerous and addicting), same as there must be a reason why Coca Cola still sells it's products with real sugar around here and don't use High Fructose corn syrup like in north america. So, it's just not possible, that Jagermeister contains anything like that.

Imagine that, this whole time I was sucked into one of those famous urban legends here in the U.S. It looks like I wasn't the only one who fell for this...

http://www.denverpost.com/food/ci_13241140
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Imagine that, this whole time I was sucked into one of those famous urban legends here in the U.S. It looks like I wasn't the only one who fell for this...

There are a lot of funny urban legends, especially about alcohol. Campari is made from bat blood is one of those and there are still people who believe it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 am

ShadowAngel wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

There's probably allot of preservatives and other crap in the American liquor that isn't present in European booze, which could make it seem stronger or more coma-inducing.

I tried Night Train once (yeah, only because of the Guns n' Roses song which i really love) and it was a horrible....thing.

My friends and I did the exact same thing. We drank lots of it with cheap beer. If it's good enough for GnR to write a song about it, then we must drink it!! Nighttrain was also the drink of choice for Jake & Elwood in 'The Blues Brothers', which was just icing on the cake for us.

I still have an unopened bottle of Nighttrain behind my bar. That thing must be 25 years old by now.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Jägermeister is only good for making Bombs or Submarines. That means you take a pint (regular Pilsner is probably best for this), and you take a shot glass with Jäger and sink it to the bottom of the pint glass. Then drink the whole shebang as it mixes.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 pm

kmorg wrote:
Jägermeister is only good for making Bombs or Submarines. That means you take a pint (regular Pilsner is probably best for this), and you take a shot glass with Jäger and sink it to the bottom of the pint glass. Then drink the whole shebang as it mixes.

In the US, it's made with Guinness and called an Irish Car Bomb
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I thought an Irish Car Bomb was a shot of Jamison's, not Jager. No?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ShadowAngel wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

There's probably allot of preservatives and other crap in the American liquor that isn't present in European booze, which could make it seem stronger or more coma-inducing.

I tried Night Train once (yeah, only because of the Guns n' Roses song which i really love) and it was a horrible....thing.

My friends and I did the exact same thing. We drank lots of it with cheap beer. If it's good enough for GnR to write a song about it, then we must drink it!! Nighttrain was also the drink of choice for Jake & Elwood in 'The Blues Brothers', which was just icing on the cake for us.

I still have an unopened bottle of Nighttrain behind my bar. That thing must be 25 years old by now.

My college roommate and I drank more than our share of Night Train back in the day. Wow, I'm surprised my liver still speaks to me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I thought an Irish Car Bomb was a shot of Jamison's, not Jager. No?

Most of the bars make it with Jager around here. Jamison's would make more sense, as it's actually an Irish whiskey.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Quote :
Most of the bars make it with Jager around here. Jamison's would make more sense, as it's actually an Irish whiskey.

Eh, maybe. I don't really recall. I had one or 2 years ago. Not really my thing anymore. I don't like chugging down the beer so fast. I prefer drinking slowly and getting a nice, even buzz.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 2:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Eh, maybe. I don't really recall. I had one or 2 years ago. Not really my thing anymore. I don't like chugging down the beer so fast. I prefer drinking slowly and getting a nice, even buzz.

I think they do it because of the popularity of Jager these days.... it should be Jamison's or Bushmills and Bailey's in the shot glass....
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Last night I was enjoying this:

The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 450px-Courvoisier_VS

Delicious
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Mmmmm, that looks good, GrandNational! Love me some good Cognac...
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Well, I've just been visiting some relatives on Iceland this past week, with the rest of my closest - on the plain back, I noticed they had this "two for one!" offer! So, I got 1 LITER of decent brandy for about 11.5 $! Can't beat that! And damn, it was good stuff
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am

[img]The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Gammel11[/img]

A few glasses of this along with some fine beer will make this a very nice evening...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Olafsto wrote:

A few glasses of this along with some fine beer will make this a very nice evening...

With my curiosity, I had to look this up because I've never heard of it. Got this description from one article, sounds very interesting:

"The spirit, for those not in the Nordic loop, is the historic Scandinavian tipple, a near cousin to vodka and gin, but very different from both in that it is flavored most distinctly with caraway and dill, among other spices. To be honest, it is an odd drink, very much a fingerprint of its origin."

Norwegians and odd go hand in hand

lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:44 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

With my curiosity, I had to look this up because I've never heard of it. Got this description from one article, sounds very interesting:

"The spirit, for those not in the Nordic loop, is the historic Scandinavian tipple, a near cousin to vodka and gin, but very different from both in that it is flavored most distinctly with caraway and dill, among other spices. To be honest, it is an odd drink, very much a fingerprint of its origin."

Norwegians and odd go hand in hand

lol!

I was interested until I got to "dill". Dill???? Yuck! I love caraway though. What's the stuff actually called? I can't read the label.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Gammel Opland Aquavit
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:05 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Gammel Opland Aquavit

Wonder if it's available stateside. I'd probably try it if it wasn't real expensive.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:11 pm

tohostudios wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Gammel Opland Aquavit

Wonder if it's available stateside. I'd probably try it if it wasn't real expensive.

Looks like it's more just for the Norwegian market:

http://insathope.blogspot.com/2010/01/norwegian-aquavit.html
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Ah, but from the comments section:

Quote :
A few aquavits are regularly in stock at liquor stores in Atlanta, including Loitens Linie.

On the list for the next time I visit Friar Tuck.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Ah, but from the comments section:

Quote :
A few aquavits are regularly in stock at liquor stores in Atlanta, including Loitens Linie.

On the list for the next time I visit Friar Tuck.

Ha, I read that too! I checked the Total Wine site and nothing came up.

If I ever could find any in LA, I'd hope it's the Løitens Export Aquavit only because it's 40% alcohol by volume and the only one on the list to be as such. When it comes to hard liquor, I won't buy anything below or over 40%. It's easier for me to discern the tastes of different types of spirits distilled at the same volume. Ya, I'm weird like that.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:33 am

This is what you look for Toho:
[img]The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 18-8-l10[/img]

Nice to see some interest for another odd Norwegian tradition Very Happy . I guess Aquavit takes some getting used to but I love it.
Løitens Linie has been made the same way since 1802, they ship it in oak barrels to Australia and back by ship to get the right flavour and it has to pass Equator twice to be a real linie aquavit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 8:53 am

Never tasted the dill though surprised

Dill though, dill though, dill though.... that was fun reading fast 3 times! insane

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 am

kmorg wrote:
Never tasted the dill though The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 685534

Dill though, dill though, dill though.... that was fun reading fast 3 times! The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 472591

The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 201269

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:57 am

Nobody really likes Aquavit - it's just what you drink at Easter- and Christmas lunches. It tastes....well, vile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Alcohol Thread
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next