Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Alcohol Thread

Go down 
+25
metalinmyveins
DallasBlack
static
kmorg
ShadowAngel
SideShowDisaSter
Hamer12
DevZor
bassman
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Sole Survivor
GrandNational
nevermore
Shawn Of Fire
Andy
James B.
tohostudios
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
mc666
exact33
Lari
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 5:39 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
As far as the hard stuff goes, first in line would be cognacs/brandy, followed by single-malt Scotch's and then blended whiskeys, followed by dark rum, all straight up or on the rocks, no fruity mixtures. Tequilas, vodkas, and gin are not my thing, but if my friends offer me a shot, I'll take it. Beer (ale, IPA, stout, hefenweisen, porter, but no lagers at all) are still tops for me though.

No lagers? You make me sad. Sad

During summertime when it's hot in LA and I'm having a BBQ, I might get Pilsner or Stella Artois, but I never buy lagers because I want to enjoy it like I would ales and such, just use it like a cold refreshment and because that's the only type of beers my buddies drink, unfortunately. They have lame taste in music as well, but I still put up with them Smile

I do love my ales and stouts but I feel about IPAs the way you do about lagers. And more to the point of this thread, I'll take a Tanqueray and tonic or a vodka screwdriver over an IPA any day. But I can't do the dark liquors like Scotch; too many "sick days" from back in the day. Just smelling whiskey makes my throat start to close off in a gag reflex.

I hear ya about the IPA's - I am not a fan, too hoppy for my tastes! The whole reason IPA's came into existence was so that the English could transport beer to India - they added extra hops since it's a natural preservative. Now they sell it and I guess a lot of people like the taste of too much hops added to their beer.

Yep. That's my complaint too; way too hoppy for me.

But I know people who love IPAs so more power to 'em. More good beer for the rest of us. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 am

IPAs are my favourites. Most of the aroma and taste of beer comes from hops. And IPAs are the richest in aroma. It makes it possible to taste and smell beer like you would wine - identifying aromas.

I'm not a big fan of the really bitter IPAs though. I like them more aromatic rather than just bitter.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 5:10 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I like fruity girlie mixed drinks... Very Happy

Those can be very dangerous! You know some bro somewhere came up with them to loosen legs

Yes, I know...but I love me a Sea Breeze, Bermuda Triangle & a Mudslide... happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 am

I like good, quality vodka and tonics if I'm in a drinking mood or social setting. If I'm just sitting at home staring at the walls, either some merlot or decent beer will do the trick.

I don't drink Jack or Southern Comfort anymore. Too many bad experiences. JD angries up the blood too much and got me in trouble and Southern almost killed me. Twice.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 5:22 pm

White Russians are my favorite drink.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

I don't drink anymore, but back in the day I would down all the the Long Island Iced Tea I could get.......

Which explains a lot of stupid things I did, because that stuff sneaks up on you.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:13 am

DeathCult wrote:

The Dude abides.

The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 The-dude-married

I enjoy a white russian every now & then too. I used to drink them allot at wedding receptions.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

The Dude abides.

The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 The-dude-married

I enjoy a white russian every now & then too. I used to drink them allot at wedding receptions.

Fuckin' a man. Let's turn up the Creedence. When my cousin first saw that he movie he said "Dude, I have seen your future". lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

The beer thread just keeps on rollin', no love for the stronger stuff? Or any other type of alcohol, for that matter - I just thought of something that I thought was quite odd. A couple of years ago I was on holiday in Croatia, and I was at the bar waiting to be serviced - Then I hear this woman ordering something in Croatian - the name didn't really sound familiar. Well, the bartender took a pint glass, and starting pouring Coca Cola from tap into the glass - he stopped half-way, went over to the red wine tap and filled up the rest! Apparently it's a very popular drink, especially among women aged 40+. You guys think that combination could work? I've said to myself that next time I'm in Croatia (which I am often), I'm gonna' have to order one of those - it wasn't expensive either, since they use some local stuff.

Would you guys drink it, if offered one for free?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Quote :
Well, the bartender took a pint glass, and starting pouring Coca Cola from tap into the glass - he stopped half-way, went over to the red wine tap and filled up the rest! Apparently it's a very popular drink

I remember them doing that in Greece too. Coke and very cheap red wine. I drank it a coupla times, just becasue. But I'm not a soda drinker in general so it wouldn't have caught on with me.

And the wife & I won a basket of cheer right before Christmas. About 20 bottles of booze in all. Mostly wine, but also some gin, rum & vodka. Good stuff too. Three Olives, although one was butterscoth flavored vodka. I'm not sure what to do with that one. I like my vodka plain.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Well, the bartender took a pint glass, and starting pouring Coca Cola from tap into the glass - he stopped half-way, went over to the red wine tap and filled up the rest! Apparently it's a very popular drink

I remember them doing that in Greece too. Coke and very cheap red wine. I drank it a coupla times, just becasue. But I'm not a soda drinker in general so it wouldn't have caught on with me.

And the wife & I won a basket of cheer right before Christmas. About 20 bottles of booze in all. Mostly wine, but also some gin, rum & vodka. Good stuff too. Three Olives, although one was butterscoth flavored vodka. I'm not sure what to do with that one. I like my vodka plain.

Ahh, I see - what did you think of the actual taste though, even considering the fact that you're not a soda drinker?

Awesome, dude! How did you guys win that!?

Just came across an awesome offer at the "boarder shop" - and by that I mean a stream of discount markets along the Danish/German boarder that offer extraordinary cheap prices on alcohol, tobacco, candy, you name it - anyway, usually a 1 liter bottle of premium-brand spirit (Skyy Vodka, Bacardi Rum, Jagermeister, Smirnoff) costs around 17,4 dollars - this time 'round, I got TWO 70 cl. bottles of Gordon's London Dry Gin for about 26 dollars! Good times were had that following weekend! - sorry for using the metric system, but you americans should at least TRY to understand the measurment system used almost everywhere else in the world!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I think the wine + Coke mix is a mediterranean thing. The Spanish call it Calimocho. Usually you use the cheapest wine available. It tastes like you would think wine mixed with Coke would. Sugary and grapey. I don't like soda pop, so I wouldn't even consider wasting wine like that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 am

Quote :
Ahh, I see - what did you think of the actual taste though, even considering the fact that you're not a soda drinker?

Awesome, dude! How did you guys win that!?

It was ok I guess. I think Lari called it right. Sugary & grapey. It was one of those "When in Rome, do as the Romans" thing. Or in this case crazy Greeks. I was way up in the mountains of northern Greece, by the Turkish border for almost a week for a wedding. It was almost 10 years since then and I've never felt the need to try it again.

We won the basket of cheer in a raffle at my kids school benefit. It cost me $10 bucks in raffle tickets that were dispersed in various prizes. We won the best prize in my opinion. drunken

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 pm

THE MOST DELICIOUS SHOT IN THE WORLD:

You will need:

Licor 43 (or Galliano)
Coffee (instant is fine)
Canned whipped cream

Fill a shot glass halfway with Licor 43 (or galliano), fill with hot coffee - top with cream. It's the only shot in the world you actually WANT to take Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

You will need:

Licor 43 (or Galliano)
Coffee (instant is fine)
Canned whipped cream

Fill a shot glass halfway with Licor 43 (or galliano), fill with hot coffee - top with cream. It's the only shot in the world you actually WANT to take Laughing

That sounds good except I don't know what Licor 43 or galliano is. I tend to love drinks with coffee in them though so that sounds like a winner to me.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:19 am

tohostudios wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

You will need:

Licor 43 (or Galliano)
Coffee (instant is fine)
Canned whipped cream

That sounds good except I don't know what Licor 43 or galliano is. I tend to love drinks with coffee in them though so that sounds like a winner to me.

Licor 43 is a spanish liquor based on vanilla, with additional spices added (43 in all, which explains the name). Galliano is a similar, Italian liquor.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 am

Quote :
Licor 43 is a spanish liquor based on vanilla, with additional spices added (43 in all, which explains the name). Galliano is a similar, Italian liquor.

I had to look them up too. Sounds pretty tasty though.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

I had to look them up too. Sounds pretty tasty though.

It really is - if you ever get a chance, make those shots - they're delicious! It can also be made into drinks I guess, but I don't think that is as fun Laughing
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 4:44 pm

I think this guy is the funniest and best when it comes to whiskey reviews. He's said in the future he'll do ones on tequilas, vodka, gin, brandy, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Love those reviews!!! That youtube channel helped me a lot as I was starting to try out single malts. Love me that amber nectar of the gods.

Lately I've also been on a classic martini kick. I made a couple earlier tonight for my dad and myself... and wow did that kick my ass big time. Good night lol.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:47 am

Irish Car Bomb.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 pm

I've actually been on a Scotch / Whiskey kick for the last couple of months (only went on a bender with beer around Christmas, as I got 2 free cases of Toohey's Extra Dry from some of my work suppliers).

Had a couple glasses last night of Wild Turkey American Honey. Also been downing Black Doughlas, Johnny Walker Red Label & Jack Daniels.

Also currently have a bottle of Johnny Walker Green Label (present from a friend of mine) that I've yet to tuck into.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:29 am

Oh, I know the feeling of being on a Whiskey kick, Sideshow - when you find the right whiskey it's hard to stop - I usually stick to some quality blended varieties, mostly Grant's or on ocassion Tullamore Dew - I do like single malts, but I never bother to purchase them myself.

I'm on a huge Gin/Tonic kick right now, BTW
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Oh, I know the feeling of being on a Whiskey kick, Sideshow - when you find the right whiskey it's hard to stop

I do believe I've found the right one! This American Honey Wild Turkey is doing it for me VERY well right now! lol! In fact, I'm currently in the process of getting blind drunk. drunken

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 am

I don't like most stronger alcohol, can't stand vodka and tequilla (i once had a very, very bad encounter with it). So i limit myself basically to Whisky, Whiskey and Rum.
My favourite whisky is Talisker, the older the better. I also like Caol Ila, Bowmore and Laphroaig
When it comes to american stuff, i like Jack Daniel's and Maker's Mark
And with Rum i prefer Brugal, in my oppinion the best, followed by Flor de Cana.

And on occasion i also like red wine, i prefer Bardolino (italian)

I guess i now sound like a complete Drunkard Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Alcohol Thread    The Alcohol Thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Alcohol Thread
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next