Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta

Go down 
+30
candlemass
mikeinfla
jstate
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
glassprison
chewie
tul
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
MEGATRON
Infinite
Dark Horseman
powermacho
stormspell
James B.
brokentulsa
kethdredd
labrekk
nevermore
Waylon
thejokeriv
exact33
Eyesore
metalken
Metal Misfit
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 am

Quote :
Lou Reed (yes Lou Reed!!!)

I think Manny must get the shakes if he doesn't mention Lou Reed at least once every dozen posts or so. Very Happy

(I keed, Manny, I keed.)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Lou Reed (yes Lou Reed!!!)

I think Manny must get the shakes if he doesn't mention Lou Reed at least once every dozen posts or so. Very Happy

(I keed, Manny, I keed.)

I was feeling a bit feverish, it had been at least a week since I last mentioned Lou Reed
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MEGATRON wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Lyrics are not songs.

Vocals on their own can be songs, and vocal melodies and lyrics are required in order to sing something. So I'm not sure why it don't count as song-writing? That's like saying Bill Ward didn't write anything.

Anyway, I just assumed you guys were talking about song lyrics when S.D mentioned Ozzy writing 'Who Are You?', which is why I mentioned those other songs.
Lyrics are words, not vocals. It's much easier to write words than to take those words are put them to music or melodies. If lyrics are songs, I've written thousands of songs in my life.
Lyrics are indeed artistic contribution. They help to make the song what it is. If you sing them with no music, technically that's a song.
Well, of course, but writing lyrics doesn't necessarily equate to a song. That's what I'm saying. Unless my interpretation of a song is entirely different from yours.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MEGATRON wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Lyrics are not songs.

Vocals on their own can be songs, and vocal melodies and lyrics are required in order to sing something. So I'm not sure why it don't count as song-writing? That's like saying Bill Ward didn't write anything.

Anyway, I just assumed you guys were talking about song lyrics when S.D mentioned Ozzy writing 'Who Are You?', which is why I mentioned those other songs.
Lyrics are words, not vocals. It's much easier to write words than to take those words are put them to music or melodies. If lyrics are songs, I've written thousands of songs in my life.
Lyrics are indeed artistic contribution. They help to make the song what it is. If you sing them with no music, technically that's a song.
Well, of course, but writing lyrics doesn't necessarily equate to a song. That's what I'm saying. Unless my interpretation of a song is entirely different from yours.

Writing lyrics alone may not equate to 100% "songwriting", but it's certainly a 100% contribution to the overall songwriting process. If we're going to divvy it up (keeping w/ Ozzy/Sabbath) then aside from Tony's writing of his own instrumental bits, nobody in Sabbath is a 100% songwriter because the songs were all collaborative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 pm

James B. wrote:
To me, for what it's worth....singing/coming up with a vocal melody is more important than writing words on a napkin or notebok paper.

Agreed. Many vocalists will improvise "nonsense words" or hum over a piece of music to get the flow of the line together, then they go off and write the actual lyrics for the finished song.

That initial improvisation being the most important part of the creation process.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Found a track from the new GW album on YouTube...

Meh. Not bad but nothin' to write home about either.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 pm

I like it. Would be better with Russell's voice but I like it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Found a track from the new GW album on YouTube...

Meh. Not bad but nothin' to write home about either.

Meh times 2. That's not the first single is it? Kinda slow for a "comeback" song. Ok tune, but no personality. I couldn't tell who it was if I didn't already know.

While I might be out of the loop in all things Great White, I just can't hear anyone else in that lead singer position. Like Skid Row without Bas or Warrant without Jani, Great White without Jack just ain't cuttin' it for me. Good luck to all of them getting their sh*t together and figuring out who owns what.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 am

Yeah, Warrant doesn't really sound like Warrant without Jani. But Mason is a GREAT singer, much better than Jani ever was, and their latest album was amazingly good. Great melodic hard rock. It's a whole different powerful beast with Mason.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am

I can't stand Warrant, but in Warrant it had to be alot more difficult to replace Jani Lane because was he the main songwriter where the Jack Russell was not the main songwriter for the band, not to dismiss Jack Russell, to me he is the main thing that stands out from that band.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Yeah, Warrant doesn't really sound like Warrant without Jani. But Mason is a GREAT singer, much better than Jani ever was, and their latest album was amazingly good. Great melodic hard rock. It's a whole different powerful beast with Mason.
I've always felt like Jani was a fantastic vocalist that was vastly underrated.

And unlike Skid Row without Bach, Warrant has put out some great albums without Jani.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm

manny wrote:
I can't stand Warrant, but in Warrant it had to be alot more difficult to replace Jani Lane because was he the main songwriter where the Jack Russell was not the main songwriter for the band, not to dismiss Jack Russell, to me he is the main thing that stands out from that band.

i agree - those vocals make those songs good.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

I was gonna be open minded about this whole trip, but after hearing that tune. It surprises me that a record company is putting out something so generic and bland in this type of limited market.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 3:42 pm

I saw Jack a couple of weeks ago. His new band sounds really great. Some of the members had been in previous in carnations of GW. He is supposed to be putting out a new live album for free soon, followed by some new material. I'm sure it will sound a lot more like GW than "Elation."
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:56 pm

glassprison wrote:
I saw Jack a couple of weeks ago. His new band sounds really great. Some of the members had been in previous in carnations of GW. He is supposed to be putting out a new live album for free soon, followed by some new material. I'm sure it will sound a lot more like GW than "Elation."

I hope the new material comes quickly.

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:27 am

I think the new album is really good, BTW.

Yes, it would've been better with Jack but it's still a good record. Terry seems to alternate between sounding like Jack and Jeff Keith.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:21 am

So I saw one of the Great Whites at the M3 Festival - the Mark Kendall version. I wasn't impressed. Neither was anyone I was with. And the comments I heard around me after they played (walking out of the pavilion area, standing on the lawn) where mostly "They need Jack Russel back" type comments.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:38 am

Was it not a good performance or was it a matter of it not being Jack up there?

I like the new album a lot but it definitely suffers from not having Russell.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:16 am

Metal Misfit wrote:

Mostly no Jack Russell, but I didn't think the performance itself was all that great. The crowd didn't even seem into it when they played "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

Some really great songs on it, yeah, but it would have sounded better with Jack.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:27 pm

New video:

Really good tune.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:30 pm

^^ Cool "shark" guitar that Kendall's playin'...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Well that tune was better than that other one I heard. Besides the obvious though, it just doesn't sound like Great White to me. If you played that track for me and said "guess who?" I wouldn't have a clue.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 6:57 pm

I think it's got a Great White sound right up until the guy begins singing. And the chorus isn't a typical Great White chorus, you know. But musically it's reminiscent, I think.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:16 am

Eyesore wrote:
I think it's got a Great White sound right up until the guy begins singing. And the chorus isn't a typical Great White chorus, you know. But musically it's reminiscent, I think.

i dont know. I am not hearing it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta
Page 8 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next