Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta

Go down 
+30
candlemass
mikeinfla
jstate
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
glassprison
chewie
tul
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
MEGATRON
Infinite
Dark Horseman
powermacho
stormspell
James B.
brokentulsa
kethdredd
labrekk
nevermore
Waylon
thejokeriv
exact33
Eyesore
metalken
Metal Misfit
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 am

James B. wrote:
Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 $T2eC16N,!zoE9s5nd73zBQi(fCbqn!~~60_1

Wikipedia says this one is a Canadian re-issue from 2005. Otherwise it's the same.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 am

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Station_plan

Just an idea of what the layout of the club was like. I seem to remember seeing in the video Ty jumping off the stage and heading into the crowd but seeing the video again years later I missed it.

The picture that gets me is the one with the fire starting and the guy with the cig (who someone here said was a bouncer) is standing next to a box that says "Warning: Explosive". How dumb is that to have explosives anywhere near a pyro?

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Station_fire_at_40_seconds
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 $T2eC16N,!zoE9s5nd73zBQi(fCbqn!~~60_1

Wikipedia says this one is a Canadian re-issue from 2005. Otherwise it's the same.

It has less songs and Great White have priors for doing Zeppelin covers on compilations that were studio recorded. Ths why I asked. I was too lazy to look myself, so thna you for the info.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am

Where did you see that it has less songs? From what I could tell it's the same. I have the original one with the shark/zeppelin cover, so it doesn't matter to me. Just wondering.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Found it on Amazon. The original has 14 tracks, that re-issue only has 10 and mixes up the track order for some reason.

Original
01. In The Light
02. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
03. Ramble On
04. Since I've Been Loving You
05. No Quarter
06. Tangerine
07. Going To California
08. Thank You
09. D'Yer Maker
10. All My Love
11. Immigrant Song
12. When The Levee Breaks
13. The Rover
14. Stairway To Heaven

Legacy re-issue
1. D'Yer Maker
2. When the Levee Breaks
3. All of My Love
4. Tangerine
5. Ramble On
6. Immigrant Song
7. Stairway to Heaven
8. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
9. The Rover
10. Thank You

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Where did you see that it has less songs? From what I could tell it's the same. I have the original one with the shark/zeppelin cover, so it doesn't matter to me. Just wondering.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Found it on Amazon. The original has 14 tracks, that re-issue only has 10 and mixes up the track order for some reason.

Original
01. In The Light
02. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
03. Ramble On
04. Since I've Been Loving You
05. No Quarter
06. Tangerine
07. Going To California
08. Thank You
09. D'Yer Maker
10. All My Love
11. Immigrant Song
12. When The Levee Breaks
13. The Rover
14. Stairway To Heaven

Legacy re-issue
1. D'Yer Maker
2. When the Levee Breaks
3. All of My Love
4. Tangerine
5. Ramble On
6. Immigrant Song
7. Stairway to Heaven
8. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
9. The Rover
10. Thank You
This is what happens when labels start selling back catalogs. It's the Cinderella Effect. You get the same compilation or live album repacked again and again and again, all on different labels, with slight differences—different track order, an added live track, a few tracks removed, edited tracks, it's been "digitally remastered," different artwork, and so on—all in an attempt to fool fans into buying it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Russell and the rest of the band have reached a settlement of their lawsuit over the name "Great White".

Going forward Kendall's group will continue to be "Great White" and Russell will have to tour as "Jack Russell's Great White".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Kendall's "Great White" is playing a gig in New Jersey next week ... my company sent out an e-mail today offering a 4 pack of free tickets to interested employees.

I'd be interested if it weren't on a frickin' Thursday night. Damn, I'm old.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Maybe if both bands toured together they could fill a 200 seat club and save on gas money.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
Maybe if both bands toured together they could fill a 200 seat club and save on gas money.  

Laughing very hard 

Nah.... still wouldn't fill the club. Maybe they could add Geoff Tate's Queenswreck to the bill since he's playing to "sold out" crowds, he MIGHT be able to fill a 200 seater!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I think we should put together a "Has-Beens of the Hair Band Era" tour, get all these groups that nobody has paid attention to for 20 years and put them all on stage together. Maybe even make a game show out of it, have "Mic Stands covered in scarves duel", "Bad Hair Extensions Death Match", "Beer Gut & Spandex Beauty Contest"....

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Quote :
Bad Hair Extensions Death Match

My money is on DLR.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
I think we should put together a "Has-Beens of the Hair Band Era" tour, get all these groups that nobody has paid attention to for 20 years and put them all on stage together.  Maybe even make a game show out of it, have "Mic Stands covered in scarves duel", "Bad Hair Extensions Death Match", "Beer Gut & Spandex Beauty Contest"....

LOL!

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 pm

In the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine (w/Sabbath of the cover), there is an interesting article on the band and Jack Russell in particular. He's pretty much been a mess his whole life and now it's all catching up with him.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:27 am

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 83628

Just in case anybody cares... Jack Russell's Great White will have an album out soon. Message boards will soon be lit up like Christmas trees with fanboys arguing over whose CD is better, the Terry Ilous Great White or Jack Russell's Great White. Yay!!

This hype piece doesn't mention what label is releasing Jack's album, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Cleopatra Records, who of course are fresh off the triumphant Geoff Tate's Queensryche release. Very Happy

Quote :
Rather than look backwards and merely attempt to relive the multi-platinum hard rock entity's storied origins, Jack Russell set his sights on the future.

In December 2011, Jack Russell's Great White first bared its teeth. Since its inception, the frontman welcomed back longtime bassist and friend Tony Montana (this time as a guitar player and keyboardist), lead guitarist Robby Locher, and drummer Dicki Fliszar. Now, this group has a sharp, soaring, and slick new album on the horizon for 2014 boasting the bluesy hard rock stomp that made Russell and Montana icons in the first place.

The vision became clear for the singer once Montana returned to the fold. After experimenting with various configurations, he reconnected with his old bassist, but in a different role.

"It's a powerful band," Russell proclaims. "The music comes across very dynamically. It's what I always wanted it to be. Tony was a catalyst for moving forward. I was never as close to him as I am now. We never had the opportunity to write music together before. I also never knew he played guitar. When I first heard him, I nearly fell of my chair. He's my co-pilot. He's one of my best friends. I wish we would've been this close back in the day."

"It's natural for all of us," adds Montana. "There's a solid chemistry, and we're having a lot of fun." Rounding out the line-up with Locher and Fliszar, these four musicians hit the studio in late 2013 to cut what would eventually become their official full-length debut. It taps into the bluesy bombast and heavy energy of Russell's celebrated material, but it's a distinctly modern metallic monster.

"We want the new material to blow people's ears back," Russell goes on. "It has the elements of the best Great White music ever written, but there's an edge. Tony brings that validity, while Robby and Dicki add a new life. It's going to surprise people."

Montana agrees, "It's got the classic sound. The first element is Jack's voice. No other band sounds like this one ever did or does now. When I was 17 years old I remember walking around the UCLA campus listening to the band's first EP. I was a fan before I ever joined the band. We're going to maintain that same integrity going forward."

That integrity became forged over nearly thirty years. In 1984, the band broke out of the Los Angeles scene with its self-titled debut followed by seismic platinum-selling outings such as 1987's 'Once Bitten...' and 1989's '...Twice Shy'. Moving over 8 million copies worldwide, they stood out as tried-and-true rock stalwarts into the 21st century until 2011, when Russell went on to form Jack Russell's Great White.

Ultimately, the new music is for the millions of fans who stuck by Russell all these years. It's everything they've been waiting for and more.

"The band was always a standout from the era it came from," says Montana. "It was never a hair band. Listen to the music, and that's evident. Everything was based in blues. We want to add to that legacy with new material preserving those timeless elements."

Russell leaves off, "This is fun, first and foremost. I feel like I'm 27 again. I hope it sounds like Great White -- but for 2014."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 am

I'm rather surprised that anyone still cares about this band at all...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 am

candlemass wrote:

"Care" might be too strong a word. "Watching a trainwreck and can't look away" is more apt. I'll be curious to see what Jack comes up with on his own. More than I was with a Great White without him.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 am

Quote :
Ultimately, the new music is for the millions of fans who stuck by Russell all these years.

...and the dozen or so who will actually bother to buy the CD Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am

I know of a couple fanboys who will check it out but i'm in the trainwreck camp.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:44 am

candlemass wrote:

If the tunes are good, the band really doesn't matter.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm looking forward to it. GW wouldn't make my top ten but I like them a lot. Enough to follow both groups still. The Terry album was okay and that's the group I consider to be the "real" GW, but I'm actually more interested in what Jack Russell can come up with.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm interested. Hell yeah. By all accounts, Jack has gotten it together. He sounds good live. Looks fragile as hell, but hopefully the "trainwreck" days are behind him.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Jack will never get back to how good he was in his prime, but he sounds really good here (what I listened to, anyway). He was pretty shaky at the beginning of his "comeback," but this is quite a turnaround, I think.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm

I really liked the last GW w/ Terry on vocals; but the Live album with him is awful. He sounds like he's high out of his mind when he's talking to the crowd in between tunes and all the songs seem to lack the punch and swagger they have on the studio releases.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 am

New tune.

Okay song. Sounds like Great White, but the mix and the song are just kind of weak.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 7:47 am

That tune's ok I guess. Doesn't make me wanna go out and buy it though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta   Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jack Russell returns with "Great White"... sorta
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next