Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

Go down 
+48
Storm_Rider89
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
Leatherface
metalheaded
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
nevermore
Andy
Tur-Thalion
INVADERS
Chairman_Smith
The_Jayroh
MetalFRO
Planchaaaa
MetalH
Portharbor
Mglaffas81
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
adrian
Gilbert
DallasBlack
kmorg
Witchfinder
manny
Approval Guy
ultmetal
Smindas
arachnoplasma
Joe
DeathCult
exact33
stormspell
shamgar75
mlotek
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
Rex
Fat Freddy
Addy
Eyesore
akeldama
mc666
Troublezone
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:17 pm

adrian wrote:
As I suspected, this one is already growing on me. Listened to it again today and the songs are starting to get more memorable

The songs are the songs....you're just starting to remember them. lol!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Great album, imo!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:18 pm

I've been listening to allot of Megadeth, new & old, in anticipation of this new album. And while I hadn't noticed it much before, I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about with Shawn Drover's drumming on the last few albums.

He's certainly not a bad drummer, but he's got no style or flair. He has 2 speeds. Drum fast and drum faster. He's robotic. It doesn't really bother me or take away from my enjoyment of the songs, but I get it now. He's kinda bland. Especially compared to Gar or Nick.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Only had the chance to spin it once so far and I'm a bit mixed about it. It's definitely a step up from Endgame, but it starts off badly for me. It wasn't until a few songs in that it started to sound like Megadeth hitting their stride. I think it some of it is genuinely fantastic (and I have to admit, I do like the fact that 'Black Swan' and 'New World Order' have got a proper album recording), but it doesn't grab me like System. Still, definitely a good record - very Countdown at points.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Smindas wrote:
Only had the chance to spin it once so far and I'm a bit mixed about it. It's definitely a step up from Endgame, but it starts off badly for me. It wasn't until a few songs in that it started to sound like Megadeth hitting their stride. I think it some of it is genuinely fantastic (and I have to admit, I do like the fact that 'Black Swan' and 'New World Order' have got a proper album recording), but it doesn't grab me like System. Still, definitely a good record - very Countdown at points.

Really? I though the first song, "Sudden Death" was one of the best!

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Smindas wrote:
I think I agree that it really picks up after the first couple of songs
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 4:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Really? I though the first song, "Sudden Death" was one of the best!
Nah. I got 'Sudden Death' off iTunes when it was released as a single for Guitar Hero a while back and it didn't grab me them, it still leaves me a bit cold now. It's not a bad track, mind. Just not great.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Probably gonna pick this up tomorrow. Been having an epically sh*tty week so I could use some new Deth!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Smindas wrote:
Funny, I just got back from buying it, and I thought it started off really good. The first two tracks, anyway.

I had to skip over "Whose Life" (Is It Anyways?)" because it started to annoy me. First off, stupid lyrics. They might as well have been written by a 15-year-old. And why is the title grammatically incorrect ("anyways"), but Dave sings "anyway." Pffft!

Moving along...some good songs after that. I skimmed a bit after the next couple tunes, but it sounds good from what I've heard.

Dave's voice is too loud in the mix, though. This is why lead singers shouldn't produce albums. Geoff Tate's vocals are too high in the mix these days, too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Funny, I just got back from buying it, and I thought it started off really good. The first two tracks, anyway.

I'm with you. Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 604261

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Just picked it up. I also only listened to the first two tracks so far, but I dig it alot. Just more in the mood for some Carcass and Napalm Death tonight. I'll listen to it all the way over the next few days
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 am

http://www.undergroundvideotelevision.com/2011/live-videos/megadeth-perform-on-jimmy-kimmel-live-in-halloween-costumes/

https://youtu.be/JgXEnIhCMsI

Back to top Go down
Storm_Rider89
Metal novice
Metal novice
Storm_Rider89

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 am

adrian wrote:
As I suspected, this one is already growing on me. Listened to it again today and the songs are starting to get more memorable
Agreed, the more i listen to it the more I hear little riffs here and there that make me go this is awesome! At first listen i wasnt sure what to think, but as usual the more you listen to Megadeth's albums they grow on ya!
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:26 am

I had a very mixed reaction when I first listened to this album yesterday.

I've been listening to a lot of megadeth this past week in anticipation of this album, especially endgame and united abominations.

This album shocked me in that where the last 2 albums were moving back to the more thrash metal sound of their early past this one has more in common with countdown to extinction and youthanasia, something I was not expecting.

A few spins later and I'm really loving it. Solid songs with some awesome solos from the man broderick. Like one or others I thought the album started really well. Sudden death is a great track and as I can't stand the guitar hero games I haven't heard it before. I also really like public enemy no:1.

Overall a good solid album. I would have preferred a more thrashy album in a similar vein to endgame but overall thus has enough decent songs on it to sit nicely in my megadeth collection and won't become a dust magnet like Risk.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:21 am

I love the melodic nature of Thirteen.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 am

Quote :
I had to skip over "Whose Life" (Is It Anyways?)" because it started to annoy me. First off, stupid lyrics. They might as well have been written by a 15-year-old. And why is the title grammatically incorrect ("anyways"), but Dave sings "anyway." Pffft!

Ha, that's one of the first tunes that stuck with me. I like that one. Reminds me of a girl I dated.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:12 am

So far, I'm really digging this. It's probably about even in the standings with Endgame. The aforementioned combination of their biggest selling sound with the speed of the last couple albums works really surprisingly well. The slower songs mainly take a hit because Dave's voice is too smurfing loud, and let's face it, he never could sing harmonies or anything. Ellefson being back on bass is definately a major plus. Sonically, it very well incorpartes the sound of the early to mid 90's era with the past 4 records quite well.

The only real thing that bugs me is on some of the slower tracks, Dave sounds out of place because well he never could sing harmonically(?) and his voice is insanely loud. Other then that, the only tracks that haven't really grabbed me yet are "We The People", "Guns, Drugs, Money", and "13" they all are a little boring.

As for the re-records, these versions are quite superior IMO. "New World Order" is just EPIC.

There are a couple instant 'Deth classics on hand as well in "Sudden Death", "Public Enemy No.1" and "Never Dead"

I also find it hilarious (but not surprising in the least) people are bitching about this on blogs already though. The same ones who thought Endgame was too much speed and no substance and were clamoring for a return to form seem to be pissed this calls on so many influences from the Countdown/Youthanasia.[i] What a bunch of maroons lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:32 am

Just picked up my copy of TH1RT3EN a little while ago, not quite finished w/my first spin yet but it sounds jim dandy to me thus far, for whatever that's worth. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 11:34 am

exact33 wrote:

Agreed! There are still some thrashin' number on it too!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Gave it another spin today. I am liking it more, I have to say. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but it does remind me a lot of Countdown, which can't be a bad thing.

Eyesore wrote:
Stupid lyrics, sure, but that's where the album starts getting good for me. The riffs and hooks in that track are fantastic.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:11 pm

kmorg wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Agreed! There are still some thrashin' number on it too!

yep. This is a pretty good platter of metal.

shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 pm

The 1st three tracks are really good. They grew on me pretty fast. I've heard the album twice through so far.

In the Anthrax/Megadeth poll question, I wrote that this album has a Countdown/Youthanasia feel to it.

BTW did anyone see the Public Enemy #1 video? Kinda goofy IMO.

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Megadeth%2FPublic-Enemy-No.-1--223420759
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 7:35 pm

I've lived with the album for about 48hrs now and I have listened to it probably 5 or 6 since I purchased it.

My impression has not altered much since my initial posting about it, however as I am becoming more familiar with the songs I am finding that the best part about this album is Chris Broderick's leads, which remind me very much of a mix between Chris Poland and Marty Friendman. Chris seems to bring exactly what Mustaine had been looking for after Marty's departure - something that could not be equaled even by Poland when he rejoined as a session player on System has Failed.

Broderick's guitar playing make the difference between this album being somewhat on the average side (though I will explain further) and being a refreshing (albeit nothing new) listening experience.

What I mean by 'somewhat on the average side' well it is hard at this point in Megadeth's career for anyone to genuinely argue that Th1rt3n is an integral album that furthers Megadeth's style and contribution to metal. I think the albums that contributed and influenced metal, taking the genre as whole to new heights, are firmly cemented in the band's past. It is not because Dave could not reinvent Megadeth's style as he did in the 90s but I feel he has become partly insecure after the disastrous move that was Risk, and partly stuck in the past as his interest in metal (to me it seems) has stopped somewhere around the mid-late 80s. In that regard, I feel Dave's inspiration for new sounds seems to have just atrophied and that is probably why, for me, this album sans Broderick's aggressive leads would end up being a bit of a recycled/rehashed experience.

I don't mean to be harsh or excessively critical - this is a band that I really love and I have stuck by Dave even when he released less than interesting albums. Megadeth is and will always be a band I can safely turn to and enjoy at all stages of its career. However, I feel my expectations are somewhat unfulfilled by the latest album yet not completely dashed. For me it feels that Megadeth is slowly turning into a sort of Motorhead-hybrid. Where you know the new album is going to sound much like the last couple of releases and you can easily predict the pattern of songs that will grace the album - the only difference will be, how much better (rather than different) they will sound.

It is this that I am starting to have qualms with. I want both better yet also a different experience from a new Megadeth album. I love Cryptic Writings because it is different from Rust in Peace and vice versa. It is not the 'bad' kind of different either, at its core Cryptic Writings is still Megadeth, know you're listening to the same band that released Peace Sells and Rust in Peace even if the sound is not as fast or as complex.

This is what I look for in a new album by Megadeth, which I guess it is why out of the albums released in the last decade I like System Has Failed the best because it was an album delivering something different - it reminded me, in concept, with albums like Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings - it was still Megadeth at its core, the influence of the older albums was there but it was also pushing for a new stylistic approach.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 pm

I need to get this soon.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 pm

The album is pretty good, in my opinion. I like the songs "Public Enemy No. 1", "Whose Life (is it Anyways?)", and "Wrecker" the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next