Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

Go down 
+48
Storm_Rider89
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
Leatherface
metalheaded
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
nevermore
Andy
Tur-Thalion
INVADERS
Chairman_Smith
The_Jayroh
MetalFRO
Planchaaaa
MetalH
Portharbor
Mglaffas81
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
adrian
Gilbert
DallasBlack
kmorg
Witchfinder
manny
Approval Guy
ultmetal
Smindas
arachnoplasma
Joe
DeathCult
exact33
stormspell
shamgar75
mlotek
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
Rex
Fat Freddy
Addy
Eyesore
akeldama
mc666
Troublezone
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Here's the original version of 'Black Swan' that appeared as a bonus track on United Abominations if anyone wants to compare and critique. Enjoy!

I think I like the new version a little better.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Is it me or does this new album sound really boring so far? Even the solos. For all the hype about Broderick, his solos are dull. I don't care how technical he is.

It's great that Ellefson is back though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Is it me or does this new album sound really boring so far? Even the solos. For all the hype about Broderick, his solos are dull. I don't care how technical he is.

I have not heard the entire album but it is not just you, the album has been getting very mixed reviews in mags and blogs I have read so far.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 6:47 am

I thought it was OK. Not their best. I'm a bit gutted. Solos are pretty decent tho, Never Dead is probs my fav.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:01 am

Dave really does follow Metallica's lead... First we got Lou'tallica, and now we get Mega-boring.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:36 am

Oh come on, no matter how boring this album might be, it's not going to be as bad as Lulu. That's not a fair comparison.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Oh come on, no matter how boring this album might be, it's not going to be as bad as Lulu. That's not a fair comparison.

Not as bad... but still a waste. Instead of one of them making a good album, you get pure crap or just mediocre...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 am

I'll reserve final judgement once I've heard the album in it's entirety but I gotta say I've liked what I've heard so far.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:42 pm

As if anyone cares what the drummer has to say (Razz ), Shawn Drover tells us why old songs were re-recorded for the new album...

Quote :
Tone Deaf: There are several songs on "TH1RT3EN""Black Swan", "Millennium Of The Blind", "New World Order" — that have previously existed as demos or bonus tracks. How did you approach those?

Drover: Dave [Mustaine, MEGADETH mainman] came up with the idea of possibly rerecording "Millennium Of The Blind" and "New World Order", because they were only recorded as demos, and then they were included on the "Youthanasia" re-release, I believe it was. And I love both of those songs, especially "New World Order". There's something about that song that I just absolutely love. So when Dave initially brought the idea up, I was the guy who really went to bat for those two songs because I thought they would fit on this record. Even though they were recorded twenty years ago, I thought they would sit really well with what we were creating at the time. I thought that to rerecord those songs with great production was something we hadn't done before. I think it turned out very well and I think the fans are going to dig it. We certainly dig it and we hope the fans do as well. And for me it was a lot of fun re-recording something that was recorded twenty years ago. It was cool!

Tone Deaf: To be honest, when I saw the track listing and recognized those songs, my first thought was, "Oh man… Really?" And in the back of my mind I was a bit cynical about whether they'd fit, but they totally do.

Drover: It does fit, dude, it really does. And the same for "Black Swan". We originally released that to the fan club for um…

Tone Deaf: "United Abominations".

Drover: "United Abominations", yeah. And, to me, that song was never really finished. Although it was recorded it wasn't fine-tuned as good as it is now. Now I think it's a much better song, and it ties in with the album. For me, that song was unfinished business. I liked the song but I knew we could make it better, and once we broke it out again we did make it better. So, ultimately, I think we did a really good thing with that

So there you have it. Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 506406

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 11:19 am

exact33 wrote:
is best buy gonna have it for cheap?

According to today's ads in the paper, Best Buy will have the new Megadeth for $9.99 starting Tuesday. Looks like I'll be making a trek at lunch that day.

Anyone see any "special editions" of this album? Looks like it's just a standard single disc w/o any bonuses, like the lastest Anthrax, is available.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I have particularly cared for anything since Cryptic Writings. Yeah, the last three albums have been good, but to me it seems like they've forgone writing really memorable songs and focused too much on being "metal" again.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

According to today's ads in the paper, Best Buy will have the new Megadeth for $9.99 starting Tuesday. Looks like I'll be making a trek at lunch that day.

Anyone see any "special editions" of this album? Looks like it's just a standard single disc w/o any bonuses, like the lastest Anthrax, is available.
Just live tracks for different editions, one for Japan, one for iTunes.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

thats where i will going to! Good price for the album!

mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Finally listened to the new album.
Not bad, but expected more. Most of the riffs & guitar solos are filler.

For 2 or 3 albums now, Megadeth have fallen to the AC/DC syndrome and repeat / clone their old material, and include only a few good or great songs each LP, compared to early material.

EDIT:
the more I listen...um,,well, I am listening to it more.
Once again, I fell in the trap of giving an opinion on an album when I should do it after 4 or 6 months instead, from initial listening.

Last edited by mlotek on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:57 pm

$9.99 for this album at Best Buy eh? I guess I know where I'm goin' on my lunch break on Tuesday.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 am

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I have particularly cared for anything since Cryptic Writings. Yeah, the last three albums have been good, but to me it seems like they've forgone writing really memorable songs and focused too much on being "metal" again.
Which is why I thought The System Has Failed was great - it's the only record since The World Needs A Hero that isn't desperately trying to be metal and instead has some really strong song-writing.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Yeah, TSHF is their best disc in the last 10 years. Love Poland's solos!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 am

Dave is trying too hard to be thrash again. It comes across too contrived... He should just relax and write whatever comes to him and if it happens to be thrashy, (all the better). Ultimately, good songwriting is all that matters... Everything else is icing on the cake.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:57 am

This album leaked online over a week ago, unfortunately. A friend of mine in the industry commented that Marty Friedman had something to do with it. I've yet to see any official source report on that, and I doubt we will - it's so common place now, but a guy with his status might make Blabbermouth or something.

To contribute to the thread: I have enjoyed the last 3 Megadeth albums immensely, especially System and Endgame. From the handful of songs available from this album, I like it a lot. Sounds fresh, but somewhat similar to Countdown-era Megadeth. Not a bad thing in my book. I think with time it will grow on people.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 pm

Marty Friedman leaked it? Haha. That's an absurd theory. Every album leaks!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Quote :
Is it me or does this new album sound really boring so far?

It's definitely not you. Its very boring! I've listened to this 4 times now to review and it just doesn't do anything for me. Doesn't even come close to Endgame which to me was finally a Megadeth album again since "So Far... So Good... So What".

They are still good for a metal band, but as a thrash band, that whole style is history for them.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 1:29 am

Endgame didn't do much for me...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 am

The album's out today right? I may have to take a lunch time trip up to Best Buy and grab it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The album's out today right? I may have to take a lunch time trip up to Best Buy and grab it.

Yes, it's out today.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 10:32 am

manny wrote:

I have not heard the entire album but it is not just you, the album has been getting very mixed reviews in mags and blogs I have read so far.

Every review I've seen has been giving it high praise. Listening to it right now, so far so good (no pun intended).

Temple of Blood wrote:
Yeah, TSHF is their best disc in the last 10 years. Love Poland's solos!

Love that album. That and Youthanasia are my favorites from them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next