Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

Go down 
+48
Storm_Rider89
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
Leatherface
metalheaded
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
nevermore
Andy
Tur-Thalion
INVADERS
Chairman_Smith
The_Jayroh
MetalFRO
Planchaaaa
MetalH
Portharbor
Mglaffas81
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
adrian
Gilbert
DallasBlack
kmorg
Witchfinder
manny
Approval Guy
ultmetal
Smindas
arachnoplasma
Joe
DeathCult
exact33
stormspell
shamgar75
mlotek
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
Rex
Fat Freddy
Addy
Eyesore
akeldama
mc666
Troublezone
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 11:13 am

I went to the mall this morning to see if they had it, but they didn't. The guy said I was the second person there to ask about it. Hopefully it'll be in tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Got it at Best Buy today. I think its pretty good. I actually didn't mind Shawns drumming on this one. The music wasn't thrashy but I think its a step in a right direction for them and actually fits shawns drumming better than their thrashier/faster stuff.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Got it at Best Buy today. I think its pretty good. I actually didn't mind Shawns drumming on this one. The music wasn't thrashy but I think its a step in a right direction for them and actually fits shawns drumming better than their thrashier/faster stuff.

Now it all comes back - I remember you were never a big fan of his drumming. It just arrived from Amazon - will crank it later!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Not at all. I'm still not cause he messes up the older songs but this album he can do no problem and sound pretty decent at it. He seems to just play it safe all the time and it just doesn't fit in the thrashier side of Megadeth.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 5:53 pm

He's a super-boring drummer.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:17 pm

I have to wait until the weekend to grab this unfortunately, but am looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Also got my copy at Bestbuy today after seeing how much both FYE and a local record store were charging.

It hasn't blown me away like Endgame did, but I really like it. Not as thrashy for sure, but it's solid and I'm sure it will grow on me. I think it really helps that I avoid listening to any of the new songs until I have the cd in my hands.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 pm

adrian wrote:
I think it really helps that I avoid listening to any of the new songs until I have the cd in my hands.

I've done the same thing and am looking forward to hearing the CD.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:16 pm

I am unwrapping my new copy from Best Buy!!

metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Picked mine up a couple hours ago at Walmart. Haven't heard it yet...waiting til my drive to work in the morning.

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 12:51 am

Anyone see Megadeth on Jimmy Kimmell? It was a hoot seeing Dave dressed as Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:11 am

Leatherface wrote:
Anyone see Megadeth on Jimmy Kimmell? It was a hoot seeing Dave dressed as Frankenstein

I just now watched... haha, Frankenstaine! Laughing

Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:42 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
Leatherface wrote:

Dude...that solo. Never thought I'd hear Broderick not play so well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
Leatherface wrote:

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 am

I bought this album on Nov. 1 and I must say I am definitely enjoying quite a bit more than Endgame, even though it hardly packs anything new, surprising or all that different from the last 3 albums.

I mean this with both a sense of happiness and a slight nostalgia. Without a doubt Megadeth has been on a road to redemption since Risk, and arguably the last 4 studio releases have seen Megadeth gradually grow again to a full fledged metal unit - at times thrashy at times more straight out heavy metal.

Th1rt3en does much what the post-Risk albums have done for Megadeth in the last decade, marrying up the past decades of Megadeth - the 80s fast-riff attack and intricate leads with Megadeth's 90s groove and catchy tunes. I guess for Dave this is his comfort zone and I can see why, for if he were to step outside this balance the style and sound would cease to be Megadeth. Even simpler put, Mustaine is focusing on the reference points from the band's catalog that defined Megadeth at its best rather than at its worst and Th1rt3en much like Endgame before it and much like the last decade of Megadeth as a whole has been a sort of revision (rather than the 90s re-imaiging) of Megadeth's sound.

The end result is both pleasing and somewhat disheartening. It depends on your perspective of what made Megadeth good in the past and I guess also when you became a fan of the band. Personally, I became a fan during Megadeth's more experimental period of the mid-90s and for me, Mustaine's different musical escapades and experiments is what gave Megadeth a leading edge over its peers. It was this unpredictable feeling after RIP that made Megadeth for me a prime metal band.

In that regard I find it disheartening that the band has become so predictable by this point. I guess what I said above stands but I can't help but wonder in which other direction Mustaine could steer Megadeth, without taking away the band's identity. I am not wishing for another Risk, rather the spirit of musical adventure the band had at one point.

Th1rt3en is a great album but it lacks the unique stylitic identity that graced the albums from which it draws its influence.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 am

I like this one but i agree with Rocketman. There are some really good songs and there are some songs that are filler. It is a good effort overall though.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:47 am

Great album! I am really enjoying it!!!!! Better than Endgame? Maybe, I need more time to decide that
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Another Chuch Behler imo.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I bought this album on Nov. 1 and I must say I am definitely enjoying quite a bit more than Endgame, even though it hardly packs anything new, surprising or all that different from the last 3 albums.

I mean this with both a sense of happiness and a slight nostalgia. Without a doubt Megadeth has been on a road to redemption since Risk, and arguably the last 4 studio releases have seen Megadeth gradually grow again to a full fledged metal unit - at times thrashy at times more straight out heavy metal.

Th1rt3en does much what the post-Risk albums have done for Megadeth in the last decade, marrying up the past decades of Megadeth - the 80s fast-riff attack and intricate leads with Megadeth's 90s groove and catchy tunes. I guess for Dave this is his comfort zone and I can see why, for if he were to step outside this balance the style and sound would cease to be Megadeth. Even simpler put, Mustaine is focusing on the reference points from the band's catalog that defined Megadeth at its best rather than at its worst and Th1rt3en much like Endgame before it and much like the last decade of Megadeth as a whole has been a sort of revision (rather than the 90s re-imaiging) of Megadeth's sound.

The end result is both pleasing and somewhat disheartening. It depends on your perspective of what made Megadeth good in the past and I guess also when you became a fan of the band. Personally, I became a fan during Megadeth's more experimental period of the mid-90s and for me, Mustaine's different musical escapades and experiments is what gave Megadeth a leading edge over its peers. It was this unpredictable feeling after RIP that made Megadeth for me a prime metal band.

In that regard I find it disheartening that the band has become so predictable by this point. I guess what I said above stands but I can't help but wonder in which other direction Mustaine could steer Megadeth, without taking away the band's identity. I am not wishing for another Risk, rather the spirit of musical adventure the band had at one point.

Th1rt3en is a great album but it lacks the unique stylitic identity that graced the albums from which it draws its influence.

Excellent review.

I jammed this last night on my iPod and it sounded great to me. Like the review above, some thrashy parts, but mostly it's just straight forward heavy metal. I'm not sure what any Megadeth fan would want to complain about. headbanger

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 am

Quote :
I'm not sure what any Megadeth fan would want to complain about.

Oh we'll always find something to complain about! Razz

Hopefully I can escape work today at lunch and snag a copy. Couldn't get out yesterday.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Exactly.

I heard someone on another forum comparing ABSU drummer Prosciptor to a super-crazy version of Gar Samuelson. After thinking about it a bit, I had to agree. Imagine how exciting MEGADETH would be if they had him or Gene Hoglan on drums! They're a top-tier metal band, there's really no excuse for them not getting a top-tier drummer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Exactly.

I heard someone on another forum comparing ABSU drummer Prosciptor to a super-crazy version of Gar Samuelson. After thinking about it a bit, I had to agree. Imagine how exciting MEGADETH would be if they had him or Gene Hoglan on drums! They're a top-tier metal band, there's really no excuse for them not getting a top-tier drummer.

I read this on another forum and thought you guys who are discussing Drover would get a kick out of it:
Quote :
Shawn Drover seems to be the backbone for Megadeth in more than just the drum department. One thing that struck me about the ‘Big 4′ shows was how well he stacked up against the founding drummers for Slayer, Anthrax and Metallica. After repeated listening to the ‘Big 4′ live releases and YouTube videos, I now regard him as the most consistent of the incredibly talented and iconic bunch.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Excellent review.

I jammed this last night on my iPod and it sounded great to me. Like the review above, some thrashy parts, but mostly it's just straight forward heavy metal. I'm not sure what any Megadeth fan would want to complain about. headbanger

Public Enemy #1 is a great song. Iam through this one a second time and it is pretty strong.

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm

I certainly get the complaints about Shawn Drover, as he seems so pedestrian behind the kit, and when you're considered a thrash band, I just think the band suffers because of this. Does that mean the guy's a horrible drummer? No, but I don't think he's a great fit for the band. Case in point, during the Big 4 concert in NYC, look at the difference here in Ulrich, Benante, Lombardo, and Drover. Seriously, which guy more or less delivers the most boring performance...

...at about the 5:50 mark Drover steps in behind the kit, then Lombardo, and finally Benante. Also going on during these transitions to different drummers are the different leads being supplied. First is Chris Broderick, then Gary Holt (he switches guitars with Hammett), and then Kirk. Anyways check out a fun performance...

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:58 pm

As I suspected, this one is already growing on me. Listened to it again today and the songs are starting to get more memorable
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN   Megadeth - TH1RT3EN - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next