Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)

Go down 
+21
Chairman_Smith
TheGooch
caniplaywithmadness?
KissinMaiden
kmorg
Olafsto
bgast1
scottmitchell74
Wargod
sovdat
spiritoradio
INVADERS
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Smindas
mc666
Rex
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 am

I just opened an envelope that came in the mail today, and to my utter astonishment, I have a frickin' promo copy of this album (it's got voiceovers, though)!! 🤘

I was so excited I did a little jig! Haha. So far I'm only six tracks in and I'm mightily impressed! It's a new Iced Earth, that's for sure. Much more atmospheric and dynamic! "Something Wicked Pt. 1" (the song) borrows a bit from "Prophecy," tying it all together, but it's a badass tune! "Invasion" is an interlude, while "Motivation Of Man" is short song, a minute and a half, but it's really killer. "Setian Massacre" is similar to "Ten Thousand Strong" in style, just a balls out metal tune! "A Charge To Keep," the song playing now, is actually giving me goose bumps! It's a mid-paced tune, but the chorus is monstrous! Owens sounds awesome!

The production sounds a bit thin, though, which seems to be what Jon has struggled with lately. He's having a hard time getting that bottom end to come out using Pro Tools. A little EQ adjustment from the listener, though, fixes that issue.

So far this is off to a killer start! I'll post more later or tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 6:27 am

sounds promising
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 6:48 am

I was just listening to the Overture of the Wicked EP and I'm sad to hear the production still sounds as thin. However, glad the songs kick ass - I look forward to the album's release Very Happy

Last edited by on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 9:34 am

it's their best album in a long time. Ripper smokes!

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 1:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
it's their best album in a long time. Ripper smokes!
I take it it's leaked? Haha. Yeah, definitely a great album. Very diverse. There's even some old school 70s hammond action on one song toward the end! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Yeah, it leaked today. I'm giving it a listen now and the voice overs are hilariously annoying. I'm barely anywhere in though and already I'm impressed.

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 2:42 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, it leaked today. I'm giving it a listen now and the voice overs are hilariously annoying. I'm barely anywhere in though and already I'm impressed.
Precisely! That's what voiceovers are for. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Haha. Anyway, I just finished listening to the album. That was far better than I was expecting. After The Glorious Boredem*, I was worried about how the next full length will sound but this was a very enjoyable listen. The song-writing was familiar and yet brought in quite a few new things for Iced Earth and Jon and the vocals were far more involving than I was expecting - Ripper does a great job. I think Iced Earth may be returning to form afterall.

*Boredem. I'm such a genius ;P

Last edited by on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 3:50 pm

This album could possibly divide the fans. A lot of the more close-minded fans aren't going to like this album. They'll claim that a few songs are great, but the rest is crap. They'll whine about the short songs, the orchestration and ethnic feel, etc. They're so predictable! Haha.

But I think this will also please a lot of fans and bring in newer fans, those that like that overblown, epic metal stuff like Avantasia and Rhapsody.............of Fire! Though this album is not nearly as pompous as those two bands, you know?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Definitely, I entirely agree. I mean, I love the vast majority of the IE catalogue and whilst Burnt Offerings remains my favourite album, I really liked the dramatic approach on Horror Show, that saw things getting bit more Euro-metally epic. The new album seems to bring in a bit more of that idea and I actually really like the ethnic touches, even though they are extremely uncharacteristic for Iced Earth. You're right though, this will probably split the fans though I'm sure most will agree it's a vast improvement on Burden.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 7:55 pm

Quote :
They'll whine about the short songs, the orchestration and ethnic feel, etc. They're so predictable! Haha.

I like the sound of this!!!! I also loved This Glorious Burden....but I'm easy to please....
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 7:57 pm

WOW!!! In a massive coincidence I just checked my LaLa page and Something Wicked This Way Comes is headed my way!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 pm

Wicked! lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 am

their last album i found dull & predictable & it didn't give Ripper a chance to shine (much like his Priest material). however this one was written with his capabilities in mind & it has enough flavor in the music to keep one interested. you are never quite sure where it's going to go & i like that.

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 1:18 pm

This is definitely Ripper's best vocal performance to date, I think.

Oh, and I love how people online have taken (again) to tearing into Jon Schaffer; this time for his voiceovers! Hahaha. Yes, they're kind of annoying—any voiceover is—but I love how people (not here) are so self-righteous that they're actually feeling ripped off that voiceovers are on something they stole! Hahaha.

Favorite track right now is "A Charge To Keep." The chorus is amazing! Very simple, but it's so good it brings tears to my eyes! I LOVE songs that do this. So good.

Last edited by on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 2:20 pm

got a promo version of the album, and it smokes.
very different i think, for iced earth
very very atmospheric
the song Framing Armageddon is amazing

can't wait to here the real version with Schaffer talking over it all the time

ICED EARTH RULEZ!±!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 2:21 pm

oh, and .... RIPPER TOTALLY RIPS IT UP ON THIS ALBUM.

Seems to fit more with the music than what he did on Burden
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 3:43 pm

When is the official release date? Is it still mid-September?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 4:21 pm

September 11th.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 5:54 pm

I'm trying to resist listening to this album again until I can experience it without "Hi, I'm Jon Shaffer from Iced Earth. I enjoy playing tripleys and long walks on the beach." However, even with Shaffer's frequent interludes, it remains amazing. Pfft.

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Smindas wrote:
I'm trying to resist listening to this album again until I can experience it without "Hi, I'm Jon Shaffer from Iced Earth. I enjoy playing tripleys and long walks on the beach." However, even with Shaffer's frequent interludes, it remains amazing. Pfft.
Yeah, he definitely discourages repeated listens. Haha. It's OK, though. That's the point. It's funny how he's the one doing the voiceovers! That's a new one to me! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 6:04 pm

Yeah, I've never actually heard the musician do the voice overs. It's a nice touch - beats hearing some random guy say it at least.

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 6:50 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, I've never actually heard the musician do the voice overs. It's a nice touch - beats hearing some random guy say it at least.
Some musicians may have done them, but they've never announced it. Haha. It's almost like he's watching you steal smurf poo music. Haha.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Really looking forward to this as I loved This Glorious Burden (minus 2-3 lame to me filler songs)...You guys are getting me pumped up for this!! I'm constantly amazed at the year for Metal 2007 is shaping up to be......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Some musicians may have done them, but they've never announced it. Haha. It's almost like he's watching you steal smurf poo music. Haha.
Did I really write that? Hahaha. I meant "his music" not "sh*t music." Haha. I actually like Iced Earth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next