Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1

Go down 
+10
Temple of Blood
TheGooch
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Chairman_Smith
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
akeldama
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Empty
PostSubject: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:47 pm

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=105595

The shame of it all, Ripper done such a kick ass job.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I think the idea sucks as well. Leave it alone.

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 pm

It's his band and he can do what he wants...but he just got through saying not long ago how he thinks the albums he did w/ Ripper are awesome and he loves them...why change? I mean, The Glorious Burden will remain, but now I gotta go find good copies of Overture... & Framing Armageddon (again) before they're gone forever...

No respect for Tim... lame
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:52 pm

Not a surpising move to keep the story cohesive.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:58 pm

Boy, Jon's not wasting any time erasing the memory of Ripper from everyone's mind, huh? Very Happy

I get that he wants the story to be cohesive, but that seems like a jerky move on his part. Like Shawn stated, no respect for Tim's work. Let the original be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Vocals don't affect the storyline....
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:01 am

WooHoo! Cant wait for this! I really dont think its that bad to redo the vocals. Matt was on the original one and he should have been on Part 1. Part 1 was great though with Ripper. Part 2 I didnt care for as much cause now im missing Ripper. But whatever, its Iced Earth and they havent really put out any crap albums.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 am

ultmetal wrote:
I think the idea sucks as well. Leave it alone.

But will you still be buying it? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 am

It's not a big deal, really. He says a box set was planned anyway, and I believe him. It's a natural thing that any band would do. Had you wanted to buy the box set, you'd have been buying two albums you already purchased years before. Now, at least, when you buy the box set you'll be getting one album that is essentially new. It makes the entire box set far more appealing and worth the money.

And personally, as an artist, I'd not like the idea of a concept album having two vastly different vocalists. It makes complete sense to re-record the those vocals with Matt. And it doesn't erase anything that Tim did with the band. It's not like they're discontinuing those albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:51 am

Eyesore wrote:

And personally, as an artist, I'd not like the idea of a concept album having two vastly different vocalists. It makes complete sense to re-record the those vocals with Matt. And it doesn't erase anything that Tim did with the band. It's not like they're discontinuing those albums.

The truth has been spoken.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:57 am

Though it does seem like a d*ck move on Schaffer's part, I guess we really shouldn't be surprised. It seems so unnecessary though. I mean, The FRAMING ARMAGEDDON album is barely a year old for cryin' out loud!!

Nothin' against Ripper Owens (I thought he did a fine job on GLORIOUS BURDEN) or his performance on FRAMING ARMAGEDDON, I still gotta say that I didn't care for that album at all. I found it pretty flat, and that was very disappointing, because I.E. has been one of my favorite bands for a long time now.

I've only had CRUCIBLE OF MAN for a couple of days thus far and have only given it a few spins, so I can't really comment on it with any depth yet. I will say that simply having Barlow back in the fold is a big plus. Matt's vocals have more theatricality (is that a word?) and a sense of drama that Owens, who is a more straight-forward metal singer, simply doesn't have. Barlow's vox suit this sort of gloom-and-doom epic stuff better than Owens IMO.

That said, I doubt I'll spring for this box set just to hear the re-finished version of FRAMING. Jon Schaffer already got my money for that album once.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:04 am

He must really hate Ripper or something. When Ripper first joined he said that Ripper's voice is how he invisioned IE to begin with, what a crock.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 am

troublezone wrote:
When Ripper first joined he said that Ripper's voice is how he invisioned IE to begin with, what a crock.

When John Bush first joined Anthrax, Scott Ian said the same kinda stuff about Bush. We all know how that turned out too. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:18 am

troublezone wrote:
He must really hate Ripper or something. When Ripper first joined he said that Ripper's voice is how he invisioned IE to begin with, what a crock.

That's the part that bothers me most about this whole thing. Jon can do whatever he wants with his band and obviously he does. It just seems like he's pissing all over the work that Tim did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 am

I think he's an "in the moment" kind of guy...in a certain moment, what he's doing in that moment is 100% what he wants and what he believes...when Ripper was there, he said "This is what I want!!"....and I think he was sincere...but when Matt came back on the scene, "I want Matt!!!"...and I think he was sincere there too...then it became "Ripper slayed the albums...I love them...but live felt weird"...Ok, whatever...then "I'm re-recording these vocals w/ Matt..."...he seems very emotional, following every knee-jerk reaction of his heart....

He's sincere in the moment he speaks, really believing it, but he moves from one thing to the other so fast that whatever he's doing in a given moment is "IT"...
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:11 pm

its seems weird as it shows no respect but i am not too bothered as i wont pick it up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
troublezone wrote:
When Ripper first joined he said that Ripper's voice is how he invisioned IE to begin with, what a crock.
When John Bush first joined Anthrax, Scott Ian said the same kinda stuff about Bush. We all know how that turned out too. Laughing
Those are just things all musicians say. Imagine a band getting a new singer and then the mainman behind the whole thing goes, "Well, he's not as good as our last singer, but he his really good." I don't think that would go over well. Haha. It's BS, but it's necessary BS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:16 pm

TheGooch wrote:
its seems weird as it shows no respect but i am not too bothered as i wont pick it up
Everyone keeps saying this, but that's all they say. Why does this show no respect?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Those are just things all musicians say. Imagine a band getting a new singer and then the mainman behind the whole thing goes, "Well, he's not as good as our last singer, but he his really good." I don't think that would go over well. Haha. It's BS, but it's necessary BS.

Oh yea, of course. It's right up there with a band saying, "our new album is the best we've ever done," then a couple of years down the road the same guy will say "Well, we weren't that thrilled with how that one turned out," haha

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
Everyone keeps saying this, but that's all they say. Why does this show no respect?

Because by re-recording the vocals, that says to me "Ignore that last album with what's-his-face. Yea, I said it was great, the singer was great, blah, blah, blah but really I was just bullschmitting everyone because Matt was my first choice and since he bailed, I had to settle for what I could get at the time."

That's the way I see it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
troublezone wrote:

Oh yea, of course. It's right up there with a band saying, "our new album is the best we've ever done," then a couple of years down the road the same guy will say "Well, we weren't that thrilled with how that one turned out," haha

I won't mention any names, but this reminds me of a certain band that is back-peddling on a certain St. Album that was released a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Maybe Jon will get Matt to re-record "The Glorious Burden" too. And Ripper can re-record "Marching Out".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I won't mention any names, but this reminds me of a certain band that is back-peddling on a certain St. Album that was released a few years ago.

Haha, I had a certain Mr. Simmons and Mr. Stanley in mind when they talk about certain albums produced by their band during the '80s, but yea, that works too.

Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Don't like the idea but I will pick this up anyway
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 pm

I don't recall people complaining that Tim re-recorded Matt's songs.

Either way, if Jon is being honest and the box set was always planned (and that is completely logical so there's no reason to think it's a lie) then it makes far more sense to have both albums with the same singer. I still say that if he didn't do this, everyone would complain that they're being forced to buy the same two albums they already bought.

With Matt doing the re-recordings, it'll be like a new album. Just listen to Tim's re-recording of the original Something Wicked trilogy, and Matt's re-recording of Tim's Framing Armageddon tunes—they all sound pretty different. So for me, the box set is now far more intriguing and worthwhile. Otherwise, without the re-recordings, what would there be? Some unreleased interludes, expanded artwork, a DVD? Not a lot to get excited over. Now there is.

And I'd personally love to hear Matt redo the Gettysburg trilogy. As much as I love Tim's version, it would just be cool to hear Matt do it. That trilogy is frickin amazing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1   Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth to rerelease Something Wicked Pt.1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next