Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)

Go down 
+21
Chairman_Smith
TheGooch
caniplaywithmadness?
KissinMaiden
kmorg
Olafsto
bgast1
scottmitchell74
Wargod
sovdat
spiritoradio
INVADERS
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Smindas
mc666
Rex
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 8:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I feel like I'm forcing myself to listen to this over and over again in hopes that it will grow on me. After I hear it , I hit play again, thinking "Maybe I missed something". Not a good sign.

I'm feeling the same way. I've spun the album a dozen or so times now and still the only songs that jump out at me are "Setian Massacre" and "The Clouding." I really WANT to love this album because I.E. are one of my all time favorites but it's really starting to feel like WORK trying to get into this one whole hog.

Was talking with brontotex last night about this CD and he feels the same way about it. He said he felt like he was forcing himself to listen so that he would like it.

I might actually try loading the actual songs from this album, minus the interludes, onto my Ipod to see if I like it better that way.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 8:59 am

ultmetal wrote:

Was talking with brontotex last night about this CD and he feels the same way about it. He said he felt like he was forcing himself to listen so that he would like it.

I might actually try loading the actual songs from this album, minus the interludes, onto my Ipod to see if I like it better that way.

I'm about to drop the CD into the player and give it another shot...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:00 am

Get Matt Barlow back!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:24 am

Whilst I think Tim does a very good job on this album, I am very curious as to how it would sound with Barlow. I was listening to the original Something Wicked today and Matt's vocals are just amazing. I can only imagine amazing things would happen with the kind of vocal production and layering applied on Framing Armaggeddon.

As for FA itself, prolonged listening has basically led me to this conclusion. It's good - it's far better than The Glorious Boredem (hahahaha Razz) - but it's not amazing. There are a few stand out tracks, but a lot of it tends to fade in to the background. I like it quite a bit though and I'm hoping that Part 2 will be a lot more energetic. I also hope Jon writes some more riffs - precision picking and galloping doesn't qualify as riffs. Whilst the musicality of IE has improved in most areas on FA, I really do think the riffs have taken a bit of a back seat which is a shame. One of the things that really pulled me in to being an IE fan was the relentless instrumental passages, like those of Stormrider and what not. Anyone else have this gripe?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:50 am

I didn't realize how good Barlow was until i heard the stuff without his voice.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:53 am

ultmetal wrote:

thats exactly what i did. i hate little interludes like that. i did the same thing with nightfall in middle earth and a few others
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 10:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I'm about to drop the CD into the player and give it another shot...

Geez, if we gotta go though all this to decide whether we like it or not, I'm thinking it's a clunker. If it ain't grabbing me on the 1st spin or 2, I'm moving on. I just got Fueled by Fire yesterday and already I know it's gonna be in constant rotation. I can't stop listening to it. I know it's 2 very different types of metal, but I know what I like.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 10:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Geez, if we gotta go though all this to decide whether we like it or not, I'm thinking it's a clunker. If it ain't grabbing me on the 1st spin or 2, I'm moving on.

I don't know if I'd go quite as far as calling it a "clunker" but it's certainly not as "immediate" as I'd hoped.
Put it to you this way, I've already picked up several new CDs since I got the I.E. and they're already edging FRAMING ARMAGEDDON out of rotation.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Geez, if we gotta go though all this to decide whether we like it or not, I'm thinking it's a clunker. If it ain't grabbing me on the 1st spin or 2, I'm moving on.

I don't know if I'd go quite as far as calling it a "clunker" but it's certainly not as "immediate" as I'd hoped.
Put it to you this way, I've already picked up several new CDs since I got the I.E. and they're already edging FRAMING ARMAGEDDON out of rotation.

That's what I meant. I'm not saying that I'm giving up on it completely either, but I've got other stuff to listen to.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:46 am

i like it but it is not as good as the glorious burden and there aint enough metal in it too much interlude stuff. setian massacre is the best song but i must admit i only listen to it becuase i paid 10.95 for it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 3:16 pm

troublezone wrote:
Get Matt Barlow back!
Why? Did he write music or something?
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 3:18 pm

I still think the album rules, interludes and all. "The Clouding" is an Iced Earth masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 3:27 pm

I love the glorious burden, probably one of my favorite IE albums after BO and Stormrider...ripper is just amazing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 3:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Get Matt Barlow back!
Why? Did he write music or something?

Actually he has written lyrics for the band and his voice goes better with their music (more aggressive). Aside from Rippers painkiller scream i don't think his voice is all that great.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Quote :
i did the same thing with nightfall in middle earth and a few others

Exactly....to me NIME has 11 tracks....I just skip the interludes.

Interestingly, perhaps, the only IE that I love are Something Wicked This Way Comes and the Glorious Burden....so I'm still excited about this new one....
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 am

i must admit it is growing on me. why i am listening to it right now would you believe interludes and all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:20 am

I have to admit that I did not get into this cd until the 10th time I played it.... the songs are all pretty good but the interludes annoy me a bit at times.... I can understand they are neecessary for the concept but I rather skip them than listen to them!

Good cd overal nevertheless!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:56 am

it certainly is good cd but i will admit the production is thin. on blabbermouth earlier i saw someone describe iced earth as a white trah power metal band. how about that!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:58 am

TheGooch wrote:
on blabbermouth earlier i saw someone describe iced earth as a white trah power metal band. how about that!

That's par for the course with Blabbermouth. Buncha idiots on the message board over there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 2:23 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
i did the same thing with nightfall in middle earth and a few others
Exactly....to me NIME has 11 tracks....I just skip the interludes.
Nightfall is a different beast altogether. I mean, most of those interludes can just be downright annoying! Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Listening to it as I type and I personallly find nothing wrong with it. Perhaps it's because of my pre-metal life (didn't start until I was 12) that my tastes in metal are so varied. Due to the fact that I watched a LOT of action, adventure, and fantasy movies (Willow, Secret of NIMH, Dark Crystal, Beastmaster, etc.) I like orchestral music quite a bit and love it infinitly more when mixed with heavy metal. Because of that and all the lighter music I listened to before I became a metal head, I think my tastes are so varied that I can listen to almost anything metal/hard rock.

With Framing Armeggedon, like all Iced Earth albums, it doesn't disappoint me in the least. However, I can see where many of you are comming from. Quite a few of you are older than me and were introduced to more hard rock as kids than I was which makes your musical tastes lean more towards raw and straight forward metal. I know many of you feel that orchestration has no place in metal, while I on the other hand welcome it with open arms.

In the end I believe everyone's opinions on the new Iced Earth have nothing to do with Barlow vs. Ripper but rather if you like orchestration in your metal or not. As for the interludes I don't find them as distracting (to me they don't last very long) and I believe that they have a purpose. When telling a long story through music, interludes have a way of telling parts of the story more quickly and sustinctly (sic) than a song would. If Shaffer wrote a song instead of an interlude, we'd be looking at parts 1, 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2. I was expecting there to be interludes so the project wouldn't take longer than need be. I suspect that when Hansi Kursch finally does his Lord Of The Rings trilogy that he's talked about in interviews that there will be plenty of interludes as well.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 6:21 am

It's another Iced Earth album, plain and simple. It is just what I expected, nothing more, nothing less. I am one of the few that liked the latest Manowar album, so the interludes on this album doesn't bother me much. I don't think this album would have been any better with Barlow, as it is written with Ripper's voice at hand. Balow is more unique, but Ripper has a different and wider range.

Last edited by on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 8:32 am

Ripper has a wide range but he can't do the more lower tone growl/shout aggression Barlow did and i much prefer to hear that then screeching any day.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 6:49 am

This album is growing every day. And I really feel it is the natural follow up to Something Wicked

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm listening to this as I type for the first time...UH, this thing slays! I don't know what all the disappointment is about. Minus the interludes the songs are great. Nothing Earth shattering or surprising but - to me - just about what I expected considering who's involved. Great stuff! Things usually take a couple spins to hit me, or not, but this one is good!! Thank you strange Ebay guy for sending this to me!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)   ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1) - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ICED EARTH: "Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Pt.1)
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next