Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...

Go down 
+44
thejokeriv
7thSaviour
sheets
arttieTHE1manparty
SlaytanicPOWER
Muloc7253
Hawaiian_Metalhead
JBall_Z
akeldama
MetalFRO
fingers
TheDoctor'sScarf
Sanctifyre
nevermore
TrogDawn
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
candlemass
jstate
RevBilly6207
Gilbert
Schbopo
GrandNational
powermacho
Leatherface
Required Fields
XYZ
Lari
Lurideath
Smindas
Red Kitty
Addy
sam
Olafsto
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
INVADERS
manny
Thrasher73
MetalRob331
Troublezone
mc666
ultmetal
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 am

Gonna have to go with Turbo, and when it comes to AC/DC, I'll replace Flick of the Switch with Fly On The Wall. I picked up an old cassette of that recently, and have been listening to it constantly. Gotta love that title track.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:03 am

GrimBeornTheOld wrote:
Here's a real kick in the nuts for you all.

I LOVE Black Sabbath's "Technical Ecstasy". I will admit that some of the songs are a bit silly ("Backstreet Kids", "Rock and Roll Doctor", "Gypsy" - though I do like them), but it has "She's Gone", one which I always felt showcased great maturity in their writing. "All Moving Parts" is a fun one, although I haven't the slightest idea what it's about. "It's Alright" , "You Won't Change Me", and "Dirty Women" have always been three of my all-time favorite Sabbath tunes.

I also adore "Never Say Die!". You know you're a diehard Sabbath fan when you actually like those two albums.

Never Say Die (which I think I posted earlier) is one of my favorite Sabbath discs, showed great songwriting flexibility and proves that Iommi isn't just a one trick pony (see Air Dance).

Technical Ecstasy is a bit of a mixed bag, but I like that album as well. You Won't Change Me is a great song and points towards the direction that Ozzy's solo career would take. Dirty Women is a classic. Hell, I even like Rock N Roll Doctor!

P.S. - She's Gone was a huge hit single in Korea.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:08 am

I agree. Air Dance is one of my faves from Never Say Die!, along with Shockwave, the title track, and Junior's Eyes. Very jazzy with the first and last. You Won't Change Me and Shockwave I always thought were harbingers of Ozzy's Solo stuff. The lyrics to Johnny Blade always reminded me of Phil Lynott for some reason. Maybe it's just me, though.

Never knew She's Gone was such a hit over there! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:13 am

GrimBeornTheOld wrote:

Never knew She's Gone was such a hit over there! Smile

I didn't either, but one of my ex-girlfriends was from Korea and one night while listening to Technical Ecstasy (under mass protest from her, she hated metal) all of a sudden that song came on and she came running into the room asking me what album I put on. I showed it to her and she couldn't believe it...said that she had heard that song all of her life and that it was played constantly on the radio in Seoul.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 am

man that sucks!!! I just reviewed two albums and hit "enter" and I got logged out!!!

any way, I 'm not going to rewrite my reviews but:

Accept-Metal Heart

It got panned when it first came out but I've always liked it, especially the solos.
Tchaikovsky and Beethoven (Slavonic March and Fur Elise,respectively) appear on the title track.

Joe Satriani-Joe Satriani

A great album, very bluesy,stripped down, and organic. Manu Katche (Peter Gabriel,Sting,Preface,etc.) plays drums on this album and that makes me enjoy this one all the more.This is also the last album where Joe still has hair.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:13 am

akeldama wrote:

A great album, very bluesy,stripped down, and organic. Manu Katche (Peter Gabriel,Sting,Preface,etc.) plays drums on this album and that makes me enjoy this one all the more.This is also the last album where Joe still has hair.

Yeah, I love that album as well...primarily for Katche's involvement.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:47 am

I'll second Metal Heart. It was an interesting concept for its time, and despite what some may say, I don't mind the production.

I'll add Judas Priest: Point of Entry.

Such an eclectic amalgam of traditional heavy metal - Solar Angels, Desert Plains

And bluesy hard rock - Hot Rockin, All The Way, Troubleshooter

I was looking at the back cover not too long ago and I never noticed how balanced out the song times are: the middle two are around the four, four and a half minute mark, and the ones that precede and succeed are around the 3 minute mark, with the exception of one I believe. Just found it ironic as I always considered to be a fairly consistent listen; it's almost as if they planned it.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:13 am

akeldama wrote:

Yes, great CD. I wish I still had it, but it's a good listen, and a nice departure from his other stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:01 am

Quote :
Here's one for you guys:
Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 6309

I have NO FLIPPIN' IDEA why everyone hates this album. People have made the erroneous claim that Skid Row was trying to sound like Pantera (what?), and that this album lacks the melody of earlier stuff. Perhaps it's a bit tougher than "Slave to the Grind" was, but that's one of the reasons I like it! They took the hard-hitting melodic metal sound of the previous album & turned it up to 11 here. The guitar is so heavy for this style, the riffs groove beyond anything the band had done, and the album is diverse & interesting. Maybe Baz was a bit overblown here at times, but isn't that part of what heavy metal is - over the top antics? Truly underrated and underappreciated IMO.

I don't hate this album, but it's not my favorite of the Baz years. The music is fine, but on a few tunes, Bach used a more aggressive scream instead of his great singing voice and it took some time before I got used to it. Not a bad album by a long shot though. I've never heard the Pantera comparrisions. It's been awhile since I busted this one out. Might have to give it another spin.

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:17 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Here's one for you guys:
Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 6309

I have NO FLIPPIN' IDEA why everyone hates this album. People have made the erroneous claim that Skid Row was trying to sound like Pantera (what?), and that this album lacks the melody of earlier stuff. Perhaps it's a bit tougher than "Slave to the Grind" was, but that's one of the reasons I like it! They took the hard-hitting melodic metal sound of the previous album & turned it up to 11 here. The guitar is so heavy for this style, the riffs groove beyond anything the band had done, and the album is diverse & interesting. Maybe Baz was a bit overblown here at times, but isn't that part of what heavy metal is - over the top antics? Truly underrated and underappreciated IMO.

I don't hate this album, but it's not my favorite of the Baz years. The music is fine, but on a few tunes, Bach used a more aggressive scream instead of his great singing voice and it took some time before I got used to it. Not a bad album by a long shot though. I've never heard the Pantera comparrisions. It's been awhile since I busted this one out. Might have to give it another spin.

I "almost" saw them on that tour, the only reason I went was because Souls At Zero was the opening act. I ended up heading off to party with SAZ instead of staying for the Skid Row gig. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:23 am

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Solidrock2

Alot of Saxon fans hate this album, I personally love it, great title track and great songs with a very slick production and IMO points them in the proper direction which would led to their current hot streak, still has some commerical elements of their mid 80's career but a cool album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Not a bad album but I think they were still trying a little too much to sound like Def Leppard.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 200px-HsasHSAS-Through The Fire

A very good album IMO. Top Of The Rock,Missing You, and Hot And Dirty are the standout tracks. A lot of people felt Hagar's vox were a little flat and Schon's playing a little rushed. What most people don't realize is that it was recorded live and the audience noise was removed during mixing.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:52 pm

akeldama wrote:
Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 200px-HsasHSAS-Through The Fire

A very good album IMO. Top Of The Rock,Missing You, and Hot And Dirty are the standout tracks. A lot of people felt Hagar's vox were a little flat and Schon's playing a little rushed. What most people don't realize is that it was recorded live and the audience noise was removed during mixing.

Top of the Rock is also a cool song, silly lyrics but a good tune.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 5:14 pm

manny wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Top of the Rock is also a cool song, silly lyrics but a good tune.

I wish I could find the 5 or so songs that didn't make it to the album. I've only heard them on youtube.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:45 am

KISS Animalize:

Alotta people dismis this album as glossy pop crap. But I think it's their 2nd best (post makeup) album after Revenge and has some strong catchy classic heavy metal platters like "Burn B..ch Burn" "I've had enough (into the fire) and of course "Heaven's on Fire" a song that gets you headbangin' alright. A lot stronger than Crazy Nights and Lick it Up for sure
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 4:11 am

NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
Quote :
Judas Priest - Ram It Down

Great album.

Iced Earth-The Glorious Burden

Ok, i'm a Ripper fanboy but this has some great anthemic metal on it. I think most people that don't like can't get past the fact it's not Matt.

I agree. I could never understand why people didn't like Ram It Down. Maybe it was the wrong album at the wrong time or something. I, however, like it a lot.

And the Glorious Burden is my favorite Iced Earth as well. I love it.
Back to top Go down
Hawaiian_Metalhead
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying

I love this album. Is it their best? No, but its has some amazing songs on it. Go and listen to Tailgunner, the title track, Public Enema Number One, Fates Warning, Run Silent Run Deep, Mother Russia and tell me those aren't great!
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Waking the Cadaver - Recollections of a Necromangler
Aswell as deathcore in general I guess, this is just great mosh-pit music with the universally-hated breakdowns that are great fun just as thrash breaks are great fun.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:22 pm

fingers wrote:
KISS Animalize:

Alotta people dismis this album as glossy pop crap. But I think it's their 2nd best (post makeup) album after Revenge and has some strong catchy classic heavy metal platters like "Burn B..ch Burn" "I've had enough (into the fire) and of course "Heaven's on Fire" a song that gets you headbangin' alright. A lot stronger than Crazy Nights and Lick it Up for sure

The thing about "Animalize" is that it's just not very strong as an album. I've had it on vinyl for at least 10 years and have probably only spun it twice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:08 am

NUCLEAR ASSAULT - SOMETHING WICKED
Played this one in my car today, i really love this album!
The more i listen to it, the better it gets.
Not the typical Nuclear speed, but great songs all the way, Conelly sounds great on this one i think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 am

Hawaiian_Metalhead wrote:

I love this album. Is it their best? No, but its has some amazing songs on it. Go and listen to Tailgunner, the title track, Public Enema Number One, Fates Warning, Run Silent Run Deep, Mother Russia and tell me those aren't great!

I actually really like that album, even Holy Smoke is OK. the only thing i didn't like was the production. sound very weak and flat, but song wise, it's excellent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 pm

INVADERS wrote:
Hawaiian_Metalhead wrote:

I actually really like that album, even Holy Smoke is OK. the only thing i didn't like was the production. sound very weak and flat, but song wise, it's excellent.

That album and Fear Of The Dark were the "nail in the coffin albums" for me. There are songs on both albums that I like, but neither is very solid (especially F.O.T.D. which sounds like they were sleep-walking through it).

There is no excuse for "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" either...it's a funny title, but worthless in execution.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:00 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
Quote :
Judas Priest - Ram It Down

Great album.

Iced Earth-The Glorious Burden

Ok, i'm a Ripper fanboy but this has some great anthemic metal on it. I think most people that don't like can't get past the fact it's not Matt.

I agree. I could never understand why people didn't like Ram It Down. Maybe it was the wrong album at the wrong time or something. I, however, like it a lot.

And the Glorious Burden is my favorite Iced Earth as well. I love it.

Concur,

I don't typically turn down anything Ripper. If you take it for what it's worth and change the name of the band he's typically in, the product is actually pretty cool. A personal fav is Bloodsuckers during the Ripper era Priest years.

Ram it Down has an "In your face" metal kinda mentallity and doesn't sound 'all-that' bad, I LOVE the way Halford comes in screaming his ass off during the opening seconds of the title song. It's indeed balls to the wall!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
fingers wrote:
KISS Animalize:

The thing about "Animalize" is that it's just not very strong as an album. I've had it on vinyl for at least 10 years and have probably only spun it twice.

When I was a teenager I used to love this KISS album, and I still give it an occassional spin, solid songs and some great leads from the late Mark St. John, but unfortuantly it is album of its era and has aged very poorly,despite it's very 80's production I am still a fan of this album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next