Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...

Go down 
+44
thejokeriv
7thSaviour
sheets
arttieTHE1manparty
SlaytanicPOWER
Muloc7253
Hawaiian_Metalhead
JBall_Z
akeldama
MetalFRO
fingers
TheDoctor'sScarf
Sanctifyre
nevermore
TrogDawn
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
candlemass
jstate
RevBilly6207
Gilbert
Schbopo
GrandNational
powermacho
Leatherface
Required Fields
XYZ
Lari
Lurideath
Smindas
Red Kitty
Addy
sam
Olafsto
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
INVADERS
manny
Thrasher73
MetalRob331
Troublezone
mc666
ultmetal
48 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Empty
PostSubject: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 am

I stole this idea from the CMR. List an album or two that generally gets ripped on by fans that you like and tell us what you like about it. My post is lifted from the CMR.

candlemass wrote:
Mortification - The Silver Cord is Severed

Took a while for this one to grow on me, but I quite enjoy it now. It just didn't fit the mold of a Mort lp for most folks, but it's a solid release.

Grimmo wrote:
Mortification's Triumph of Mercy, Silver Cord is Severed and Hammer of God.

I LOVE Mortification - Hammer of God. I think it's an incredible album from Morty and one that gets spun often. "Metal Crusade", "Martyrs" and "In the Woods" are some of the band's best songs IMO.

Iron Maiden - The X Factor
Like many other fans, I detested this CD when it first came out. Blaze was no Bruce Dickinson and they album just didn't gallop along like a Maiden album is suppose to. "The X-Factor" was responsible for the birth of a new Iron Maiden; a more dark and melodic Maiden. Once past the fact that Blaze is different than Bruce, I really began to enjoy this disc. Not every song is great, but the songs that are good Blaze shines in. The first four cuts on this disc, along with the epic "The Unbeliever" are the best tracks. The first single, "Man on the Edge" is one of the best songs on the disc and certainly the most commercially accessible. The opener, "Sign of the Cross" has the longest guitar solo in Maiden history clocking in at 5 minutes 36 seconds. This is a really melodic epic number.

Celtic Frost - Cold Lake
No Celtic Frost fan alive in '88 would admit to liking this album. After all, there was the pink backlighting, the band had poofed their hair and was obviously being sponsored by Aqua Net. However, this really isn't a bad album at all. It's more commercial and hooky than the band's earlier, darker stuff, and this wasn't what Warrior had promised as their next album. However, it's a good, melodic, heavy metal album. This is no Poison or Warrant! It's actually pretty dark and twisted sounding IMO.

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 am

Slayer - Diablous in Musica

a lot of people (including some so called Slayer diehards) hated this album with a passion, some even going so far as to label it nu-metal. this is of course totally inaccurate & completely silly. this was just Slayer doing what Slayer did before & slowing things down a bit (much like they did on South of Heaven). only this time they changed the tuning & added a little more groove to their sound. it's still as well written, well played, agressive & hateful as anything they've ever released & it still totally sounds like Slayer.

did it sound a bit different when compared to their previous catalog? sure, but it's not the mainstream release that so many thrash "experts" were claiming it to be.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 am

mc666 wrote:

a lot of people (including some so called Slayer diehards) hated this album with a passion, some even going so far as to label it nu-metal. this is of course totally inaccurate & completely silly. this was just Slayer doing what Slayer did before & slowing things down a bit (much like they did on South of Heaven). only this time they changed the tuning & added a little more groove to their sound. it's still as well written, well played, agressive & hateful as anything they've ever released & it still totally sounds like Slayer.

did it sound a bit different when compared to their previous catalog? sure, but it's not the mainstream release that so many thrash "experts" were claiming it to be.

Nice. I have yet to hear this Slayer album. So many CDs, so little money. Sad

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:38 am

Judas Priest - Turbo

I like this album. It's catchy and melodic plus sports a ZZ Top influence.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am

Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil

When i first heard the song Bat Country I thought to myself wow these guys have really changed since Waking the Fallens almost metalcore sound. I then heard the song Beast and the Harlot and I loved it. There are some amazing songs on City of Evil regardless if you dont like the singer or not. The musicianship for one is astonishing for guys barely in there 20's. Songs like MIA and Sidewinder show that these guys really know how to write good music. I like Shadows raspy voice a lot and they really rely on melody which really takes all the attention off his voice.

amazing outro

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 am

mc666 wrote:

Along with SoH its the only Slayer album I can really enjoy. When Slayer plays fast all the songs really blend and sound so similar to me. When they slow it down and add groove they really shined.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:49 am

Exodus-Force of Habit

I know alot of people dont really care for this album but there are some great tunes on here.Of course this album incorporates more groove to their sound but the intensity is still there.Songs like Architect of Pain,Thorn in my Side,Force of Habit,are all great IMO.All in all its a catchy album that keeps me spinning it over and over again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 am

mc666 wrote:

Completely agree, it's one of my favorite Slayer albums...makes a nice companion album with South of Heaven actually.

On a production note, it's nice to hear Tom's bass recorded this well, instead of burying the bass in the mix they allow it some space out front.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:21 am

Genesis-Calling All Stations

I think this album was ripped apart unfairly, IMO was huge improvement over their last two studio albums, 'Invisible Touch' and 'We Can't Dance'. The songs were somewhat darker and the lyrics were more down to earth, lyrics that still dealt with relationships but in more adult grown manner.

Ray Wilson sounds nothing like Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel, and hisvoice sounds like a lived in voice, world weary life experienced voice with somewhat bluesy overtones. Songs like 'Not About Us' which talks of fear of commitment and relationship gone bad, that sometimes it is not about just the two people involved, 'Congo' the first single was a great intro and title track and plodding track that maybe the heavist track Genesis ever recorded.

This was a transition album for Genesis, introducing a new voice and new direction while tipping a hat to the past, a band in search of a new identity sort of speak, it is too bad they made only one album with Ray Wilson and that commerical failure of this release made them call it a day. I think it was good introduction to what I felt was going to be third lease on life for this band not its swan song.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:39 am

Jugulator - very underated album. Gets slated alot. I love this album. One of my top 5 Priest albums.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:53 am

INVADERS wrote:
Jugulator - very underated album. Gets slated alot. I love this album. One of my top 5 Priest albums.

Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train are worth the price of admission on this one. I'd love to hear those two songs resurrected with Halford singing them.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:00 am

Catherdral - Supernatural Birth Machine

This was my first introduction to the band, so it's always gonna have some nostolgic value to me, but from opinions I've gathered 'round here and some reviews I've read, it's not a fan favorote and I don't understand why. Maybe because they were moving away from their dommier stuff and becoming more stoner/rerto sounding?

Anthrax - State of Euphoria

Another one that holds nostolgic value to me, this cd (along with a few others) was part of the soundtrack to my Senior Week back in '89. But for reasons I don't fully get, this one doen's seem to get much respect in the Anthrax catalog. I guess following Among the Living, this one had pretty lofty expectations, but I don't think there's a bad song on there. It was just as thrashy and still retained that 'thrax sense of humor. So what if the biggest single off of it was a cover (Antisocial). I'm sure to most folks, myself included, not many were familair with the original version anyway, so it fit in just fine with the rest of the tunes.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 am

thrasher73 wrote:
Exodus-Force of Habit

I know alot of people dont really care for this album but there are some great tunes on here.Of course this album incorporates more groove to their sound but the intensity is still there.Songs like Architect of Pain,Thorn in my Side,Force of Habit,are all great IMO.All in all its a catchy album that keeps me spinning it over and over again.

I like that album. It's actually one of my favorites by them and it has killer guitar playing, check the solo on Good Day To Die.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 am

W.A.S.P. - K.F.D. - Arguably the band's darkest offering, this is one of my favorite W.A.S.P. albums. I think Blackie did the "industrial" thing VERY well. In fact, I hate that style of music, but Blackie turned into something that appealed to me and made this album even heavier than the "normal" W.A.SP. sound could have created.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 am

Waiting for someone to defend St Anger...

impatient
Back to top Go down

Troublezone wrote:

impatient

Goochie will.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:08 am

SpectreFate wrote:
W.A.S.P. - K.F.D. - Arguably the band's darkest offering, this is one of my favorite W.A.S.P. albums. I think Blackie did the "industrial" thing VERY well. In fact, I hate that style of music, but Blackie turned into something that appealed to me and made this album even heavier than the "normal" W.A.SP. sound could have created.

K.F.D. is a finger lickin good album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:09 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

impatient

Goochie will.

You are correct sir.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am

SpectreFate wrote:

This one is a recent purchase for me and while I do like it, I think it could have been just as fine of an album without all of the industrial stuff. Considdering what WASP was doing in the past, this seemed like a trend-hopping move that in my opinion was unnecessary. I'm basing this on hearing songs from this album performed on Double Live Assassins and they sound just as good without the sampling and electronic poop. As it stands though, I do like this album even if it's still sorta new to me. Time will tell how well it holds up in a few years.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 am

Judas Priest - Ram It Down

I have always loved this album. From the opening scream of the title track to Ken and Glen's twin axe attack on Heavy Metal, and up through Rocker and Hard as Iron, the whole first side just rocks to me. The epic, Blood Red Skies, is just awesome to my ears and I even like the cover of Jonny B. Goode. Maybe it's that I am just a Priest die hard, but I truly love this album. A lot of critics forget that much of this album was already done and was supposed to be the other album (along with Turbo) in a double album. Ram is obviously a tad heavier than Turbo though. Peace.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:20 am

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Once Dead - Visions Of Hell

On both of these production and drum sounds get hammered. I love the production and drum sound on both of these.

I also like the vocals on Once Dead. It's Thrash, which really has no standard vocals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 am

Vengeance Rising - Destruction Comes - Sure it is a Roger Martinez solo project! Sure, it's a bit one dimensional! But it is leaps and bounds better than Human Sacrifice, IMO.
I think I also like it so much because if you read the lyrics, Roger is starting to crack. His world was crumbling and he was trying his hardest to maintain his faith. I thought he was most human on this album, and I still, to this day, look up to ol' Rog.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am

Good call on VR - Destruction Comes!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:29 am

the sentinel wrote:
Judas Priest - Ram It Down

I have always loved this album. From the opening scream of the title track to Ken and Glen's twin axe attack on Heavy Metal, and up through Rocker and Hard as Iron, the whole first side just rocks to me. The epic, Blood Red Skies, is just awesome to my ears and I even like the cover of Jonny B. Goode. Maybe it's that I am just a Priest die hard, but I truly love this album. A lot of critics forget that much of this album was already done and was supposed to be the other album (along with Turbo) in a double album. Ram is obviously a tad heavier than Turbo though. Peace.

I am in total agreement with you, love the album, an album that was unfairly bashed.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 am

Whitesnake - Slip of the tongue
I see a lot of fans hating this album. Most saying that Steve Vai ruined it, no blues, no feeling bla bla bla....
I think it`s a great album, lots of killer songs and great playing.
In my top 5 Whitesnake albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...   Defend an album that get ripped on a lot... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Defend an album that get ripped on a lot...
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next