Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?

Go down 
+13
Gilbert
James B.
Thrasher73
MoonChild
scottmitchell74
Eyesore
Short-Fuse
Witchfinder
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
ZombieHavoc
MetalRob331
TheGreatDuck
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Empty
PostSubject: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 am

So, I was reading some threads on Metal Archives today, and in one of them some guy mentioned that there was a band that made a song with a similar riff to that of Slayer's Reign in Blood a couple of years before RiB was released. Does anyone here have any idea what band might that be?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 11:23 am

Slayer also ripped me off.  I want my money back!

This is a pretty famous metal riff, one would think if this was ripped off, they would of been taken to court? IDK!!!
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Well, Metallica managed to get off with Enter Sandman, so...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 12:40 pm

When I see the term "ripped off" I would hope they are identical. That song and Enter Sandman have about two notes out of a dozen similar.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 1:27 pm

I remember hearing a Desaster song that I thought sounded near identical to Raining Blood. However, I assume that came after? I don't really know the timeline for Desaster, and have only heard like, the one album.

But also, that riff seems to me like it'd be something fairly easy to come up with (but I don't play guitar, so no clue really). If that's the case, then Slayer probably didn't actually rip it off. Just coincidence. Unless you see the dudes wearing a shirt of whatever band it is they might've ripped it from?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 3:19 pm

CHILD SAINT released a MEGADETH song before they did. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Happens all the time. There are only so many notes you can play so guaranteed that some riffs will sound the same. Someone once told me, "there were only 11 songs ever written, everyone else has been ripping them off ever since."

On Megadeth's recent album there is a song that has very similar guitar riffs, identical bass lines and drum patters as an old Ultimatum song. It actually blew me away when I first heard it, but I don't think Dave stole it. It's just coincidence. If he did steal it, well, then I am honored he liked one of our songs enough to "borrow" it. Haha!

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Actually, Metallica stole "Enter Sandman" from this song, surely also?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Well, Metallica managed to get off with Enter Sandman, so...

I've heard this claim before and it's stupid. The similarities between the two songs is exactly two notes. The claim that Metallica copied this song is total nonsense.

Last edited by Eyesore on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

1982 called. It wants its TV back.

And it's Enter (no the) Sandman, you giant turd!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

That's not my TV, it's my girlfriends and it has been here since I moved in 3 yrs ago Smile I've always called it Enter the Sandman. I guess old habits never die Razz 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 6:57 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

That's not my TV, it's my girlfriends and it has been here since I moved in 3 yrs ago Smile I've always called it Enter the Sandman.  I guess old habits never die Razz 

Nor dummies.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Ult, man, Megadeth did "rip" you guys off. That's uncanny how close they are.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

That's not my TV, it's my girlfriends and it has been here since I moved in 3 yrs ago Smile I've always called it Enter the Sandman.  I guess old habits never die Razz 

Nor dummies.  lol! 

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am

Guys, can you get the original versions of (parts of) these songs?

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 am

ultmetal wrote:
If he did steal it, well, then I am honored he liked one of our songs enough to "borrow" it. Haha!

Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? 00123f77
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 am

Eyesore wrote:

I can't stop laughing! You giant turd! Funniest thing I've heard all day.Eyesore, you crack me up! Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Glad your mom let's your girlfriend stay in the basement with you Rob, that's cool !

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm

James B. wrote:
Glad your mom let's your girlfriend stay in the basement with you Rob, that's cool !

You can do better than that  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 2:05 pm

I was listening to firedance by rainbow and I noticed that a certain part of the song is identical to deep purple's song the battle rages on.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
James B. wrote:

You can do better than that  Razz 

yeah, probably use proper punctuation next time too.  There isn't supposed to be an apostrophe in "lets".

And that TV isn't a TV at all. It's a safe in your mom's basement where you stash all the riffs you stole.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm

HAHAHA, including this one?

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 3:18 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Happens all the time. There are only so many notes you can play so guaranteed that some riffs will sound the same. Someone once told me, "there were only 11 songs ever written, everyone else has been ripping them off ever since."

On Megadeth's recent album there is a song that has very similar guitar riffs, identical bass lines and drum patters as an old Ultimatum song. It actually blew me away when I first heard it, but I don't think Dave stole it. It's just coincidence. If he did steal it, well, then I am honored he liked one of our songs enough to "borrow" it. Haha!

If you file a suit against Megadeth, they might throw some cash at you just to make you go away.

...just sayin'. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?   Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer ripped off the Reign in Blood riff?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next