Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

All things Metallica - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Yea I actually copied the audio from that DVD and put it on my ipod because I liked it more.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:32 am

13k copies sold in the first week, #36 on Billboard.

Kinda surprised, thought the Metallica hate-fans would've actually turned for this one like they do for every other album they complain about. Congrats to them for finally taking a stand!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 am

Wow. #36? Even St. Anger debuted at the top, if I recall correctly, although it did taper off rather quickly due to incredibly negative reviews.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:48 am

Yeah, I thought Top 10-15, then it would sink like a rock (like most rock albums do anyway these days).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:56 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
Yeah, I thought Top 10-15, then it would sink like a rock (like most rock albums do anyway these days).

It is really a Lou Reed album and his albums usually hit the Top 200 and it takes eons for the album to go gold, #36 is pretty good for Lou Reed, usually his albums debut around 60-64, which for Lou Reed is very good.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 pm

sleazeroxx wrote:
The brand new collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica has been raising eyebrows ever since news first broke that the two were teaming up for a project. Music fans, especially Metallica's legion, had every right to be fretful because the partnership created one of the absolute worst albums I have ever heard.
Just how atrocious is the new album Lulu? Throwing a running chainsaw into a wood chipper would be more harmonious than this debacle. I try and listen to an album at least five times before I even attempt to review it, which allows the music a fair chance to grow on me. However, with Lulu it was one listen (from start to finish) and I was done. My ears were tormented for 87 minutes and could tolerate no more. Luckily, I streamed the entire album on the 'Lulu' website instead of wasting money on an actual copy. I challenge you to do the same since this is an album you have to hear to believe (how awful it is). However, I will completely understand if you do not make it through Lulu -- it's the ultimate exercise in patience.
Backed by chugging, stale riffs courtesy of an uninspired Metallica (who can blame them given the material they were presented with), Reed angrily rants (never once even attempting to sing) like a beatnik reading poetry no one cares about in an empty coffeehouse. His overall delivery sounds like Henry Rollins' grandpa suffering from senility. Just when you start to somewhat fancy Metallica's musicianship, Reed's diatribe-like rambling overtly ruins the song.
In an interview with 'The Guardian' Reed said, "This is as good as my writing gets. I can't do better. I listen to it and my poor heart breaks over some of what's in it." If this is indeed Reed's best work, I flat-out fear his worst. In that same interview Hal Willner, the album's co-producer, explained, "The music is demanding on the listener, no question. I don't know what to call it, but it is not background music." Even Metallica's own producer doesn't understand Lulu, so how on earth did it get green-lighted in the first place?
Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich elaborated, "I'm invigorated at how absolutely awesome the record turned out. Lou walked into the studio and about seven seconds later my head was spinning like Linda Blair in 'The Exorcist'. It was so impulsive it'll take me years to access what happened." And just like she did under Satan's manipulation, Lulu would also trigger Blair to project vomit.
Metallica's James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett were both reportedly brought to tears by Reed's lyrics in the song "Junior Dad." Both claim it emotionally moved them, but I bet the line "the greatest disappointment" suddenly woke them out of their idolization of Reed and they realized they were trapped on a sinking ship, causing them to weep uncontrollably. Though reviews have been unanimously negative (leading Reed to say, "I wouldn't care what a critic said about anything, including a hamburger joint. There is no species of people I have less respect for") I have stumbled across a few people defending Lulu as art. I am sure you have come in contact with the type of person that constantly describes unworthy items as 'art'. One who suffers from this characteristic believes they are functioning at a higher level than the normal person, and therefore see beauty in things our feeble minds fail to understand.
For those ready to accuse me that 'I don't get Lulu,' allow me to clarify what art is. Van Gogh's "Starry Night" is art. "Stairway to Heaven" is art. "Catcher In The Rye" is a work of art. Lulu on the other hand, is a train wreck of epic proportions unworthy of any praise whatsoever. Just because an artist thinks outside the box, doesn't automatically mean their creation is brilliant.
Metallica once blew us away with the song "Damage, Inc.", but now they desperately need some damage control. They should publicly apologize for this calamity, host a bonfire for people who purchased the album, forever ignore Lou Reed (including unfriending him on Facebook) and record a Heavy Metal masterpiece that stands up to their classics Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning. Unfortunately, after years of weakening albums, the Napster incident and now the Lulu experiment, hopes of Metallica returning to true form diminish by the day. This is 'Lu-Lu-Ludicrous'.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 pm

People still have faith/hope in METALLICA?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I did after Death Magenetic. I enjoyed that one.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 pm

exact33 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Same here. I started losing interest after the Load albums and that crap with the symphony. Then St. Anger came along and really crapped on their legacy. Death Magnetic was certainly a step in the right direction, but it seems as though they're trying to derail the train once again with this Lou Reed album.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for posting that Sleaze Roxx review, that was hilarious.

I have a cousin who is so die-hard Metallica it sickens me (he refuses to listen to Megadeth), and even he hates this album. I appreciated that.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Are delusional people still in this world? Then there has to be Metallica fans.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Again, I have not heard the entire album but what I have heard I have liked, but then again I am Lou Reed fan and most reviewers sounds like they were excepting this too sound like a Metallica, of course it sounds more Reed's last disc 'The Raven'.

That is not to say that knowing will make you love the album or make you instant Lou Reed fans but I think it should be judged on its own merits, so far the reviews I have read have been more busy bashing Lou Reed then actually taking time to actually give you a well rounded review why they think the album is steaming pile of turd.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

I have a theory - if the album was released just as Lou Reed and no one knew that it was Metallica as his backing band the reviews would be praising Lou for trying a different musical approach.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Thanks for posting that Sleaze Roxx review, that was hilarious.

I have a cousin who is so die-hard Metallica it sickens me (he refuses to listen to Megadeth), and even he hates this album. I appreciated that.

The sad thing is sleazeroxx tends to be more lenient on established bands.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:13 pm

exact33 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Me too. Looking forward to the follow-up (which is supposedly being worked on right now).
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19232

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 3:50 am

I'm still looking forward to the Gordon Lightfoot/Slayer project.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 am

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:

That track works better live than on the album
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I have a theory - if the album was released just as Lou Reed and no one knew that it was Metallica as his backing band the reviews would be praising Lou for trying a different musical approach.

I forget where I read it, but a reviewer had the same idea. Keep it hush-hush about Metallica's involvement and just release it as a new Lou Reed album. Then let word-of-mouth spread around that the "mysterious backing band" is actually Metallica. His theory is that it wouldn't have built up so much negative publicity before a single note was heard.

An interesting theory, but it's obviously too late for that. The damage has been done. The only redeeming quality that I can see coming from this train-wreck is that Metallica next 'real' album will have to be something outstanding to wash the bad taste out of the fans mouth, much like the Death Magnetic follow-up to the St. Anger debacle.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:33 am

If it was only a new Lou Reed album, it would've sold 1/3 of what it has so there was no way the label was going to go for that.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:36 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
If it was only a new Lou Reed album, it would've sold 1/3 of what it has so there was no way the label was going to go for that.

Lou Reed has been signed to a major label since 1967, and his albums and tours do ok on their own.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:42 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Right, it's an interesting theory, but no way was any label gonna let a big name like Metallica go without the proper publicity. Lou Reed on his own wouldn't get a 10th of the promotion he's getting with Metallica's named attached to it. It woulda got a write-up in Rolling Stone, maybe a mention or 2 in a coupla other publications and then faded back into the underground with little fan-fare.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Right, it's an interesting theory, but no way was any label gonna let a big name like Metallica go without the proper publicity. Lou Reed on his own wouldn't get a 10th of the promotion he's getting with Metallica's named attached to it. It woulda got a write-up in Rolling Stone, maybe a mention or 2 in a coupla other publications and then faded back into the underground with little fan-fare.

Very true, his albums are slow steady sellers, they sell enough not to go out of print, but it is not going to burst into huge numbers like say the black album by Metallica. BTW this isn't Lou Reed's only time has worked with other artist, in the early 70's David Bowie produced an album for him, 'Transformer' and the mid 70's Bruce Springsteen worked with Lou Reed on the 'Street Hassell' , for a song or two. Also Lou Reed worked with KISS to co write a couple of tracks on 'The Music from the Elder' album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

The 70's were a more forgiving time. Everyone was too coked-up and wearing polyester to notice. :flower:

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The 70's were a more forgiving time. Everyone was too coked-up and wearing polyester to notice. :flower:

Well it helped that Lou Reed was not basing the material on his albums on obsure German operas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 19 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next