Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica vs. Megadeth

Go down 
+24
shamgar75
Schbopo
akeldama
Smindas
mc666
DeathCult
Invader
Mglaffas81
Olafsto
MetalRob331
Rex
James B.
kmorg
manny
Chairman_Smith
INVADERS
Troublezone
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
SideShowDisaSter
ultmetal
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Metallica vs. Megadeth Empty
PostSubject: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:25 am

lol!
Yes, I know we've discussed this to death, but what I want to discuss is

The Black Album vs. Youthansia

Obviously both are more melodic and have a more commercial appeal. Personally, I've never disliked either album, although the metal masses seem to diss both albums.

Of the two, I tend to listen to Youthansia the most. I like Mustaine's punk, snake-like hiss, vocal delivery. I also think it's a pretty heavy album, despite being more commercial. There are some great riffs, and some choice solos as well.

What say ye?

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 am

I probably listened to the Black Album more than Youthanasia back in the day, so it has a bit of nostalgia going for it. Both were such a deviation from what the band had done previously, but I did like them both.

I never owned Youthanasia back then, I just listened to a copy a friend had. I DID have the Black Album, though, so I was able to play it more often. I've always thought both of them, while being much more melodic and commercial sounding, did have some chunky riffs.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

Hmmmmm. probably Youthansia. I haven't listened to the black album in quite some time and have no desire to. I'm burnt out on 'Enter Sandman'. I'm sure I've listened to Youthanasia in the last few months or so and like the material from that album that I've heard live, either on cd's or in person.

Metallica, while they did rebound with Death Magnetic, is pretty much over for me in general. They've jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. I'll take Megadeth these days.

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 am

Youthanasia. Then and now.

The Black Album didn't age well with me. I only own it to complete a collection.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 am

The Black album is far better IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am

I am completely, totally, utterly burned out on the Black Album and never really need to hear it ever again.

However, YOUTHANASIA still comes off the shelf once in a blue moon for a spin.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 am

Youthanasia for me.Never cared for the Black album.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 am

I'll take Youthansia, It has grown on me over the years, Dont own the Black album, probably never will. Really dont need to own it, the radio stations around here still play it like it was released yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 am

I can't stand Dave's voice (hello me) on that album so i gotta go with the Black Album. At least it has song's i still like such as... Nothing Else Matters, Holier Than Thou and Sad But True.

Looks like i got albums mixed up, oh well i still pick the Black Album.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 am

I like both of 'em but prefer the Black album as IMO, it's the heavier of the two albums.
Actually I think i would have preferred it if the Black album was just the heavier stuff:

1: Sad but True
2: Holier Than Thou
3: Wherever I May Roam
4: Through
the Never
5: Of Wolf and Man
6: The God that Failed
7: My Friend of Misery
8: The Struggle Within

I think that would've been an awesome album.
As for the Megadeth album, it's a good album, but it's not an album i listen to often. Actually, i think the only tracks i really go back to on that album are Victory, The Killing Road and Addicted to Chaos, Elysian Fields and Black Curtains.
Each to there own i suppose...
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 am

Hmmm, wouldn't Countdown and TBA be more of a comparison?

Anyway, i'll go with the Black Album.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 am

"Countdown" is classed as Megadeth's Black album, but I think, personally, Youthanasia is leaning more towards the Black album's style, as the black album was Metallica's most commerical album at the time, and Youthanasia was the same (I'm not including Risk in that as that album just sounds like crap on CD)...

"Countdown", to me, is still an excellent speed metal record (excluding Sweating Bullets... I HATE THAT SONG!)...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 am

I like both albums, but I am burnt out on 'The Black Album' so I would have to say at this point 'Youthanasia', which is a great Megadeth album in its own right.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 am

There is not even a contest. Tne Black album is better by a lng shot. However, I really enjoy Youthanasia too, and when it was new I thought it was one of the better Megadeth albums.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:29 am

good topic Scott...

First Off- Performances by individual players

Megadeth on all accounts, no contest ! Metallica had been going downhill already in this department (IMHO) and Megadeth went the other way. Lots of creative stuff going on all over the place.

Second- The songs

Face it, Dave has always been a better tunesmith than anybody in Metallica. Yes, good songs are on the Black Album, but the attempts in the melodic areas are where that album fails to compare with Megadeth's "Youthanasia"

Third- Production

This I will give to Metallica. It really came out of the speakers
in a more sonic manner. I have heard that the re-mastered Megadeth stuff did alot improvements.

Last but not least- The album cover

Perhaps ? Metallica did something more "metal" But it was far from original and not unique. The hanging babies out to dry stood out and if you allowed it to do so, made you think about just what was trying to be implied, if anything ? Again the nod goes to Megadeth.

So in four basic catergories, I have "Yothanasia" grabbing 75% of the love.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

Black album sucks less.

Last edited by Rex on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

This is close Youthansaia along with Countdown is Megadeth at there best IMO. Youthanasia starts faltering near the end where as Metallica still stays strong on the album. I take the Black album but its very close indeed. My fav Megadeth song Addicted to Chaos is on Youthnasia
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Quote :
Face it, Dave has always been a better tunesmith than anybody in Metallica. Yes, good songs are on the Black Album, but the attempts in the melodic areas are where that album fails to compare with Megadeth's "Youthanasia"

Not in the vocals.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:42 am

Even if it was the beginning of the end, of the Metallica I thought was the greatest band on earth.
I still say The Black Album.
I`m a fan of Dave and Megadeth, but IMO they always come second to Metallica....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:47 am

Vocally, James is more my cup of tea, but Mustaine has a very unique snarl and is still awesome.
Also, Mustaine and Megadeth write more orignal sounding songs and riffs than Metallica, but the heavier songs on the black album appeal to me more...

Last edited by INVADERS on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 am

Whoops...wrong thread. My bad. Back to whatever you were doing.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 pm

The Black Album, NO CONTEST - I never really got into Megadeth, although I do enjoy some of their stuff. But the Black Album is a classic that never gets old - Awesome, Amazing album. Heavy Riffs, Melodic Melody, KILLER Solo's, everything.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Youthanasia is my favorite of the two. I like the Black Album too, but I just don't find myself listening to it as often as I listen to Youthanasia.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Youthansia

The black album pales in comparison.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The Black album is far better IMHO.
i agree with this. it had more hooks, & better song writing.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica vs. Megadeth   Metallica vs. Megadeth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica vs. Megadeth
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next