Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

All things Metallica - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 5:26 am

I'm not one to jump on boats, but I'm not even bothering with this one. I'm having too much fun listening to everything else going on music-wise. Metallica will pick right back up after this all blows over. Of course there will be many of those who will never let this rest and bring it up in every Metallica thread until the day Hetfield dies. Or becomes a table. One of the two.....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 6:26 am

Actually i agree with coverkillernation, for once Metallica are the best part of this album.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 am

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/loutallica-dom-lawson-reviews-lulu/ (video)

"Well, to be honest, couldn't we write some songs? Couldn't we just write some proper songs and then you could, like, sing?" lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:52 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
For anyone saying Lou Reed is a brilliant lyricist, how does thst opinion sit along side 'I would cut off my tits'

Brilliant still?

Yes
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 am

Here's writer Malcolm Dome's short take on the album:

Words: Malcolm Dome

It appears to have become a habit to slag off the Lou Reed and Metallica collaboration, even before hearing a note of Lulu (Vertigo). Metallica fans seem to hate the very idea of their faves working with Reed. And this isn’t recognisable as a Metallica album. But why should it be? It’s something separate. Perhaps if a project name had been used instead of the various protagonists being so readily identified, then people would have more of an open mind. The truth is that the album is interesting and arresting. Far from being instant, there’s enough here to keep you returning. What does it sound like? It’s Lou Reed with a heavy, progressively atmospheric rock approach. In some respects, not far removed from Opeth taking on board a Peter Gabriel influence. Not the disaster some believe. And if you want to listen to the whole album before buying a copy, it’s being streamed at
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am

Metalheads love to get their panties in a wad anytime a band tries something different, I'm still holding any judgment on this until I hear the full album.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 pm

I just rocked Kill 'Em All and it sounded so darned good. Haven't heard it in a while. I was playing air guitar in my office. headbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 2:05 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I just rocked Kill 'Em All and it sounded so darned good. Haven't heard it in a while. I was playing air guitar in my office. headbanger

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 2:19 pm

manny wrote:

It appears to have become a habit to slag off the Lou Reed and Metallica collaboration, even before hearing a note of Lulu (Vertigo). Metallica fans seem to hate the very idea of their faves working with Reed. And this isn’t recognisable as a Metallica album. But why should it be? It’s something separate. Perhaps if a project name had been used instead of the various protagonists being so readily identified, then people would have more of an open mind. The truth is that the album is interesting and arresting. Far from being instant, there’s enough here to keep you returning. What does it sound like? It’s Lou Reed with a heavy, progressively atmospheric rock approach. In some respects, not far removed from Opeth taking on board a Peter Gabriel influence. Not the disaster some believe. And if you want to listen to the whole album before buying a copy, it’s being streamed at
Yeah, that guy has never heard Opeth. lol!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:

Yeah, that guy has never heard Opeth. lol!

Exactly what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Laughing

Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Laughing

It's so close to reality it's hardly parody... Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I honestly think it is unfair and a bit force fed that we need to 'tolerate' everything Metallica does or for that matter any big band does. There is always this attitude that fans of certain big bands have (especially Metallica) where their favorite band releases a polarizing album and everyone comes in the band's defense, somehow as though they owe the band something by defending every mediocre release they have.

Heck I have been guilty of doing the same at times and also with Metallica in the past. However, the reason I was doing that is because (apart from liking the band) I had a certain insecurity and vulnerability about saying bad things about a band that meant so much to me, that helped introduce me to metal. I felt like I owed them something even though they knew nothing of my existence. You get this slanted perception that Metallica (or any other big band you're into) are the be all end all of things - no other band can touch them and in the process ignore and discard every other act you may potentially like as much or more than say, Metallica.

For a long time I thought I was alone in that mindset but I noticed that to this day, there are many Metallica fans who think alike and do not want to release grip on their favorite band.

I think those attitudes have given rise to the very polarizing opinions Metallica receives of their post-Black Album records these days. There are people who jealously guard this band, and everything they release, not because they genuinely believe in what the band is doing but I think more because they do not want to accept and cannot accept that there are better bands than Metallica, that the metal scene is not centered around Metallica and that indeed Metallica is not the reason metal music exists. Whenever I hear a Metallica fan justifying why the band changed in the post-Black Album period I instantly recognize myself when I was 15 - 16 years old and thought Metallica were the equivalent of God.

I won't deny that for what it's worth, Metallica even in the post-Black Album period wrote some decent songs but it was painfully clear, even to the band (as was later revealed by James in interviews over the last decade), that Load/Reload was an experiment gone a bit too far. It is equally as clear that the sort of unity fans believed existed in Metallica had started showing obvious cracks in the writing and recording of Load, with each member fighting for the band's stylistic direction.

What I have learned with Metallica is that their 80s albums are classics, it goes without saying, and everything else is to be taken with a grain of salt. The band hit their creative peek, I would venture saying, with Justice For All. It was the last representation of what Metallica was about. The Black Album was the sign of what Metallica would come to be for the next two decades at least and it was a signal call: you either stick with us or you find a different band.

For anyone who chose to stay for the ride, I say the knew what they were to expect from this band's future releases. Definitely not a return to 'form' but further left-field experimentation.

Ultimately, I don't owe them anything and the band doesn't owe their listeners anything. I would qualify the latter statement - there is some responsibility towards the fans but not to the extent that the band must cater to what the fans demand to listen. I think the responsibility has more to do with how the band treats those who genuinely like their music, in terms of delivering a complete audio and visual package and behaving appropriately at live show (i.e. at least turn up on time and put on a good show for the fans).

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm

No one said you had to tolerate everything Metallica releases, most people on this board agree with you and think this album will be cancer to the ears, I happen to not agree with that opinion.

I agree with your last paragraph, you don't owe Metallica or any other band your loyalty and visa versa , except that try to show up on time and put on a good performance.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 pm

manny wrote:
No one said you had to tolerate everything Metallica releases, most people on this board agree with you and think this album will be cancer to the ears, I happen to not agree with that opinion.

I agree with your last paragraph, you don't owe Metallica or any other band your loyalty and visa versa , except that try to show up on time and put on a good performance.

I know that no one is forcing anyone to tolerate everything Metallica releases, but my point was that I felt like I was once in that boat when I was younger and less knowledgeable about music and metal in general. I guess the term for what I was describing is being a fanboy but for some reason, in the case of Metallica that term takes on a whole new life.

I wonder if this is because Metallica despite having been around for 3 decades is still a band that influences peoples tastes and introduces them to heavier music more than any other band of similar caliber (e.g. Maiden, AC/DC, KISS etc.). I think what still sets Metallica apart is that their music sounds fresh to this day, even though most of their classic albums were released many years ago. Their music has a certain youthful energy, something to which all generation of music listeners but especially the young can relate to.

The times I have attended Metallica's concerts, I've always seen a mix of different generation of fans including fans that were very much infants as recent as when Metallica had released Reload. In a way I am surprised but at the same time I am not because I feel Metallica's older albums especially still come across as unadulterated as they did back in the early-mid 80s. That is perhaps another reason why many fans refuse to see Metallica grow beyond the age of 18 - 20.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 pm

manny wrote:

I am actually with you Manny!

I personally am not looking at this as a Metallica album, but a Lou Reed album with Metallica as his background music band. Personally, I think it's awesome that they are trying something new and different and trying to stretch themselves. If the fail, so what, they tried and failed.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:09 pm

I have to agree with you to a certain extent, I think when it comes to Metallica, for some reason they just provoke some strong reaction especially older fans, when they changed styles some of these fans acted like their wives left them for some cooler hotter guy.

I am 41 and for me personally this band, along with Venom and Slayer introduced me to heavier bands then what I was listening to back in 1984, and from their I picked up heavier bands etc.

Metallica have most definitely picked up fans of all generations, but then Alex that is not surprising since our music will die and a new generation after generation keep discovering bands such as Metallica and others you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:20 pm

i like what i've heard of it, so i guess i am the table.

The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:48 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Laughing

Haha oh man that was actually awesome
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 7:29 am

mc666 wrote:
i like what i've heard of it, so i guess i am the table.

Cool I was tired of drinking alone, first rounds on me
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:54 am

One of the youngsters on the paver crew was listening to this at the campground last week-end. I heard the majority of it and it is interesting, at least to a point. I'd a rather heard Lou doing spoken word along to some 80's Metalllica than what this is to my ears (IMHO) a Lou Reed album with a hard edged pop band backing me up. Yes it's different and they tried...But if this was the first thing out of the gate for them, obscurity perhaps ? Does it work cause of who it is rather than what it is ? That is pretty much where I stand....on who

Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Didn't see this mentioned yet... METALLICA Planning New 3D Feature Film?
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm

arachnoplasma wrote:
Didn't see this mentioned yet... METALLICA Planning New 3D Feature Film?

Yeah, I read that last night on Blabbermouth. They didn't really expound on too much...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:08 pm

I listened to 3 full songs and half of a 4th before I had to bail out. This new album is just not for me at all.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Anyone here familiar with Danko Jones?

Take a look at what happened after he heard Lulu...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165083

Canadian rocker Danko Jones has slammed METALLICA's collaboration with Lou Reed, claiming to have put his entire METALLICA collection up for sale after hearing the controversial "Lulu" project.

In a series of tweets over the weekend, Danko offered his opinion on "Lulu", calling it the "Ishtar", "Waterworld" and "Battlefield Earth" of rock 'n' roll. ("Ishtar", "Waterworld" and "Battlefield Earth" are widely considered to be three of the biggest cinematic train wrecks.) His final tweet on the subject reads, "Good morning! Heard METALLICA/Lou Reed album last night. METALLICA collection now for sale. Tweet your $$$."
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 16 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next