Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

All things Metallica - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 am

I like the music... but I can't get past Lou Reed's horrible voice.

Just like the "Rebel Meets Rebel" album with DAC and Pantera. The grandpa vocals don't fit.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 am

And it's horrible. I skimmed through earlier...and it's dreadful. I heard a few cool riffs, I guess, but as a collection of songs it sounds like a complete mess.

And seriously, did Metallica waste their fastest riff—on "Mistress Dread"—since the 80s on this thing? GAH!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:45 am

Quote :
And seriously, did Metallica waste their fastest riff—on "Mistress Dread"—since the 80s on this thing? GAH!

It appears so... They should have kept that one for their next official album. And of coarse the drums lag (as usual).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:59 am

Yeah, Lars has totally become the drummer so many claimed he was when he wasn't. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 am

The Lulu album is awful.

Sorry but I cannot tolerate Lou Reed's vocals. He sounds like a drugged and drowsy Johnny Cash and even that is putting it mildly. He ruins the entire album for me. The lyrics are garbage but I'd rather listen to James singing "I am the table" and other ridiculous jibba jabba than to hear Lou Reed.

It is a Lou Reed / Metallica collaboration but lets get real, had it not been for Metallica contribution no one would give a smurf poo outside a few Reed fans here and there.

The biggest issue I have is that Lou Reed's voice simply does not fit with the music played in the background. It is like someone recording a Metallica jam session , and talking annoyingly over the music!

There is no congruence between what is being "sung" and played in the background. Metallica is relegated to just background noise, and as some of you pointed out - there are some really good riffs here and there but they don't shine because of the production being so in favour of subjecting listeners to Lou Reed's ranting (it's not singing sorry).
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:20 am

What a drama!!! This is just pathetic. The first riff... Knock Knock Knocking On Heavens Door!

Nevertheless, Metallica has hit it's absolute lowpoint with this release.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:04 am

Oh dear... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:05 am

Listening to it now - basically Reed's SoHo beat poetry read over Metallica riffs.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:07 am

There is no justifying this atrocity, imo the best review of this album is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoiVlsIb_A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Listening to it now - basically Reed's SoHo beat poetry read over Metallica riffs.

That is the best description of the album
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 am

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

That is the best description of the album

Yep, and if you don;t like Lou Reed's poetry delivery, you will hate this album
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 am

I've checked out bits of it, and honestly, take away Reed's vocals and some of the music could be a killer Metallica album...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:34 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I've checked out bits of it, and honestly, take away Reed's vocals and some of the music could be a killer Metallica album...

I am huge Lou Reed fan so his vocals do not bother me one iota, I like his music, and I know must of you will disagree with me but I think his lyrics are brilliant, and also should be noted that most of the music came from Lou Reed who is no stranger to writting the occassional riff oriented song.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:40 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

There is some good music on the album, it just seems the music is mixed so low to highlight Lou's vocals
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I am huge Lou Reed fan so his vocals do not bother me one iota, I like his music, and I know must of you will disagree with me but I think his lyrics are brilliant, and also should be noted that most of the music came from Lou Reed who is no stranger to writting the occassional riff oriented song.

English was my minor in college and most of the classes I took where creative writing classes, so I have a good idea what is considered good poetry. And Lou is an EXCELLENT lyric writer!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 am

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

English was my minor in college and most of the classes I took where creative writing classes, so I have a good idea what is considered good poetry. And Lou is an EXCELLENT lyric writer!

I will be the first to admit, I'm not versed in Lou Reed and his ability to paint a vibrant picture through that of song. With that being said, I don't think it's ever a good sign when one laughs at the opening lyric to "Brandenburg Gate". - I would cut my legs and tits off when I think of Borlis Karloff and Kitsky in the dark of the moon, made me dream of Mosferatu trapped on the island of Dr. Moreau???? Was that lyric supposed to not garner some sort of laughable response? When I heard the lyric with Tit, all I could think of was Andrew Dice Clay's Old King Cole nursery rhyme.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 10:17 am

The album is based on German playwright's Frank Wedekina play "Pandora's Box' which is a play about a young women who falls from grace and goes after rich wealthy men and dies in poverty etc, the play written in 1904 was a big deal back then with its frank description of sexuality etc.

Reed adopted and was originally meant for the stage, and first few lines are meant to describe the pop culture of pre World War II Germany, where American films such as Frankstein and Island of Dr Moreau would scare the hell out of audiences and give them nightmares which is what the first line describes " I would cut my legs and tits off when I think of Boris Karloff'

Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I jumped to a random section of a random song and what I hear is crazy Lou saying "...twist your nipples til I bite them off, scratch your face and bite your shoulders-" before I had to stop it and laugh. It was somewhere around 5:30 on "Dragon".

And Lou using an obscure German play to disguise the fact that it's pretentious and insipid is just hilarious.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I actually listened to the whole album. There are various parts from songs that I enjoyed, but the overall product does absolutely nothing for me. If Lou Reed and Metallica are happy with their collaboration and this effort, then all the more power to them. I just don't see this going over well within the music industry as a whole. I think it will be considered a laughing stock...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:04 pm

I think it will considered a novelity that was interesting idea but ultimatley maybe viewed as an artist failure, but I have not heard the whole album, and Lou Reed's albums take awhile to sink in, from reading the lyrics I cannot argue that is bit pretentious but then so was the original source material, plays back in the early part of the 20th century where purposly over the top and over dramatic, this play being no exception.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:23 pm

I am sure there will be some who enjoy it, but this album is not for me.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Doomdance wrote:
What a drama!!! This is just pathetic. The first riff... Knock Knock Knocking On Heavens Door!

Eh. It's not a Metallica release, so why even judge it so harshly?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Doomdance wrote:

Eh. It's not a Metallica release, so why even judge it so harshly?

I agree it is a Lou Reed with Metallica as a backing band, my understanding is that this songs were all written by Lou Reed, but I am not exactly sure if that is correct.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:58 am

Just think of it as not an actual Metallica album. opinion
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 4:45 am

For anyone saying Lou Reed is a brilliant lyricist, how does thst opinion sit along side 'I would cut off my tits'

Brilliant still?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 15 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next