Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How good is RUSH?

Go down 
+38
skullsmasher
Joe C
TheDoctor'sScarf
martinsane
assault_attack
MusicTilDeath
rattpoison
Svengo
Gilbert
MetalH
Vordul
7thSecond
EvyMetal
ThrashedOutCobra33
candlemass
novellahub
SAHB Healer
mr.electric39
sam
White_Mage
stepcousin
manny
krokus
Schbopo
Lurideath
MetalRob331
tohostudios
Wargod
Rex
Tall Tyrion
steel warrior
DeathCult
XYZ
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
Hamer12
A Handful of Wayne
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Well I picked up a bunch of Rush cds this weekend

Vapor Trails
Grace Under Pressure (remaster)
Snakes and Arrows
2112 (remaster)
Caress Of Steel (remaster)
Permanent Waves (remaster)
Fly By Night (remaster)
Feedback
Counterparts

So far I listened to 2112, Permanent Waves, and Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel. So far the only one I wasnt too crazy about was Caress Of Steel. Otherwise I cant believe I never started picking up their albums earlier. Geddy Less voice doesnt bother me at all. Thanks for everyones input!

Excellent haul and nice cross section of their career, now play it at the proper volume.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:05 pm

already being done Very Happy picked some more up today. Found moving pictures used for cheap and the other 2 were new 9.99. The store had all of them I was going to just get them but this week ive been going crazy with buying I realy have to cool it now. Christmas is getting way to close.

s/t
signals
moving pictures

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm

But you haven't bought Grace Under Pressure yet, you HAVE to buy Grace Under Pressure! :glee:
Back to top Go down
novellahub
Metal student
Metal student
novellahub

Number of posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:08 pm

VaughanGF wrote:
I prefer their early stuff. Their 80's material was ultra commercial, and to me it lacked the rock intensity of the first few albums. I think recently they have settled into a nice groove that sits somewhere between their 70's and 80's material. Tom Sawyer is an amazing song.

My favorites are from the 80's catalog. Probably since I first started becoming a fan in 1989 starting with "Presto". My all time favorite album is "Power Windows".
Back to top Go down
http://www.rchobbyhub.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:17 pm

novellahub wrote:
VaughanGF wrote:
I prefer their early stuff. Their 80's material was ultra commercial, and to me it lacked the rock intensity of the first few albums. I think recently they have settled into a nice groove that sits somewhere between their 70's and 80's material. Tom Sawyer is an amazing song.

My favorites are from the 80's catalog. Probably since I first started becoming a fan in 1989 starting with "Presto". My all time favorite album is "Power Windows".

Saw'em on that tour. WOW !! Opened with 'Spirit' played 'WitchHunt'... The stuff from 'windows' was fantastic!! Seeing 'Manhattan Project', 'Territories', 'Rythyms' it was a lot of fun.... 'Xanadu' was a great surprise....

First 'BIG CONCERT'.... brilliant stuff endeliablly etched into my memory banks !!!

headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:30 pm

I like their 80's material also, but when 'Grace Under Pressure' and "Power Windows" were first released I thought it had too many keyboards and syns, so I didnot grow to appreciate the albums for several years after they were released.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 4:44 pm

Hemispheres is another good one to pick up.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 5:25 pm

spectrefate wrote:
But you haven't bought Grace Under Pressure yet, you HAVE to buy Grace Under Pressure! :glee:

Yes I did. Didnt I write that one down? Your not paying attention.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 5:27 pm

How good are they? Best rock band in the known universe! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 5:36 pm

candlemass wrote:
How good are they? Best rock band in the known universe! 🤘

Have you forsaken the Doors? affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Well I picked up a bunch of Rush cds this weekend

Vapor Trails
Grace Under Pressure (remaster)
Snakes and Arrows
2112 (remaster)
Caress Of Steel (remaster)
Permanent Waves (remaster)
Fly By Night (remaster)
Feedback
Counterparts

So far I listened to 2112, Permanent Waves, and Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel. So far the only one I wasnt too crazy about was Caress Of Steel. Otherwise I cant believe I never started picking up their albums earlier. Geddy Less voice doesnt bother me at all. Thanks for everyones input!

Awesome! I see that it didn't take long to talk you into that! Very Happy

Welcome to the club, the instructions for the secret handshake will be coming in the mail...don't be surprised when someone stops you on the street and asks you to recite the lyrics to Xanadu.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 5:51 pm

my fav RUSH song the best instrumental ever imo. Pure Brilliance
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Quote :

my fav RUSH song the best instrumental ever imo. Pure Brilliance

I agree. I like XYY a lot too though. Actually, Rush is one of the few bands who's instrumentals I like.

Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Rush are amazing to put it simply
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:11 pm

The first song I ever learned on guitar was "What You're Doing" from the debut album, in fact I practiced to that entire album for quite awhile.

The song Here Again is very underrated, one of my favorite Rush songs.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Actually Detuned I think the first Rush album is completely underrated. One of my favorite debut albums.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 11:00 pm

manny wrote:
Actually Detuned I think the first Rush album is completely underrated. One of my favorite debut albums.

I listened to this earlier today. Its definetly a lot different from what they would do later on. Its more just straight out rock. Its not bad though.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 12:37 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I have steered clear of this one for the longest time. Everyone knows why. It may be the under four dollar price at FYE or it may be something do to with the music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Grace Under Pressure - When that album first came out I was 14 and liked it, but at the time it was probably my least favorite Rush album. I loved Signals, so it wasn't the synthesizers that was bothering me...for some reason it didn't click beyond a few tracks "Red Sector A", "Between The Wheels", "Afterimage".

I started re-purchasing the Rush catalog (for probably the third time) back when the remasters started coming out, Grace Under Pressure was the next to last one I picked up (Hold Your Fire was last).

Then I about hit myself on the head once I started listening to it...I couldn't believe I had completely misinterpreted an album that badly. It's a brilliant album, despite the synths and some pop sensibilities it's still very much a progressive record...but it's stealthy about it. Afterimage is one of the most beautiful songs about loss I've ever heard, The Body Electric is a classic and I wish they would put that back into their modern day setlists. Red Lenses is completely ignored by most Rush fans but shouldn't be...

Anyway, a brilliant record that only my own maturity kept me from appreciating until recently.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 3:40 pm

detuned wrote:
Grace Under Pressure - When that album first came out I was 14 and liked it, but at the time it was probably my least favorite Rush album. I loved Signals, so it wasn't the synthesizers that was bothering me...for some reason it didn't click beyond a few tracks "Red Sector A", "Between The Wheels", "Afterimage".

I started re-purchasing the Rush catalog (for probably the third time) back when the remasters started coming out, Grace Under Pressure was the next to last one I picked up (Hold Your Fire was last).

Then I about hit myself on the head once I started listening to it...I couldn't believe I had completely misinterpreted an album that badly. It's a brilliant album, despite the synths and some pop sensibilities it's still very much a progressive record...but it's stealthy about it. Afterimage is one of the most beautiful songs about loss I've ever heard, The Body Electric is a classic and I wish they would put that back into their modern day setlists. Red Lenses is completely ignored by most Rush fans but shouldn't be...

Anyway, a brilliant record that only my own maturity kept me from appreciating until recently.

Same here, for years I dismissed the album, than I bought the remastered version, and I couldn't believe this was the same album I had dogged for so many years.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:
krokus wrote:
I am not a die hard fan either but i like many of their albums.
I will like to ask the die hard fans what album i should buy beside the following cd´s that i already have by the band???????????
ALL THE WORLD STAGE LIVE
2112(1976)
PERMANENT WAVES(1980)
MOVING PICTURES(1981)
EXIT...STAGE LEFT LIVE
HOLD YOUR FIRE(1987)
THE SPIRIT OF RADIO GREATEST HITS 1974-1987

FLY BY NIGHT!!!!

Great album and has killer cuts like the title track, Anthem, In The End and the aforementioned By Tor and the Snow Dog.

Thanks, that will be the next album i am going to buy from RUSH. Thanksssssssssss.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Well Im listening to Grace Under Pressure right now and it has a lot of Genesis and The Police type things going on. Does anyone else feel the same? Im saying that cause I got into Genesis and The Police around last year and I listen to them from time to time and some of the sounds on this album and even the way they play reminded me a lot of those bands.

Good album BTW

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:53 pm

krokus wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
krokus wrote:
I am not a die hard fan either but i like many of their albums.
I will like to ask the die hard fans what album i should buy beside the following cd´s that i already have by the band???????????
ALL THE WORLD STAGE LIVE
2112(1976)
PERMANENT WAVES(1980)
MOVING PICTURES(1981)
EXIT...STAGE LEFT LIVE
HOLD YOUR FIRE(1987)
THE SPIRIT OF RADIO GREATEST HITS 1974-1987

FLY BY NIGHT!!!!

Great album and has killer cuts like the title track, Anthem, In The End and the aforementioned By Tor and the Snow Dog.

Thanks, that will be the next album i am going to buy from RUSH. Thanksssssssssss.

Cool! I'm in the middle of listening to a whole bunch of new stuff and I need something familiar to listen to for a change of pace.

I shall break out Fly By Night in your honor!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Well Im listening to Grace Under Pressure right now and it has a lot of Genesis and The Police type things going on. Does anyone else feel the same? Im saying that cause I got into Genesis and The Police around last year and I listen to them from time to time and some of the sounds on this album and even the way they play reminded me a lot of those bands.

Good album BTW

I am not sure about Genesis, but Alex Lifeson was a huge Police fan at the time.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 8:25 pm

manny wrote:

I am not sure about Genesis, but Alex Lifeson was a huge Police fan at the time.

And he also looks like Keifer Sutherland.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How good is RUSH?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next