Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How good is RUSH?

Go down 
+38
skullsmasher
Joe C
TheDoctor'sScarf
martinsane
assault_attack
MusicTilDeath
rattpoison
Svengo
Gilbert
MetalH
Vordul
7thSecond
EvyMetal
ThrashedOutCobra33
candlemass
novellahub
SAHB Healer
mr.electric39
sam
White_Mage
stepcousin
manny
krokus
Schbopo
Lurideath
MetalRob331
tohostudios
Wargod
Rex
Tall Tyrion
steel warrior
DeathCult
XYZ
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
Hamer12
A Handful of Wayne
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage

How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:32 pm

The only "weak" albums in Rush's catalog (in my opinion) are Hold Your Fire, Presto & Test For Echo. And each of those albums have songs that I like on them. (Presto probably having the lowest quotient). Roll The Bones & Caress Of Steel are both "fair" albums, containing some classics and some dreck. Everything else...is damn fine.

Rush on their absolute WORST day, is still better than the majority of bands on their best.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

Anyone who doubt's Rush is 'a good band', check out "By-To and he Snow Dog" on All the World's A Stage and see if it doesn't send chills down your spine. Sitting here listening to that album now and loving every minute of it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:24 am

ultmetal wrote:
Anyone who doubt's Rush is 'a good band', check out "By-To and he Snow Dog" on All the World's A Stage and see if it doesn't send chills down your spine. Sitting here listening to that album now and loving every minute of it.

One of the GREATEST live albums ever !!!!! Did I say that? is anyone surprised. Definatley one of their best Two live discs.... And that version of By-Tor ROCKS !!!!!!!!

Only to be topped by the version on 'Different Stages' the 3rd disc recorded in 1978 in London on the Hemispheres tour. Yes they use it as a bridge into 'Xanadu' but it SMOKES !!!

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:26 am

detuned wrote:
The only "weak" albums in Rush's catalog (in my opinion) are Hold Your Fire, Presto & Test For Echo. And each of those albums have songs that I like on them. (Presto probably having the lowest quotient). Roll The Bones & Caress Of Steel are both "fair" albums, containing some classics and some dreck. Everything else...is damn fine.

Rush on their absolute WORST day, is still better than the majority of bands on their best.

Caress of Steel was THE album that got me into Rush. Loved 'Bastille Day', 'Fountain of Lamenth' and of course 'The Necromancer' a sequel of sorts to 'By-Tor and The Snow Dog....'

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am

I think Rush is best enjoyed live. I haven't seen them live in person, but their live DVDs blow me away when I watch them. Such a great band!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I think Rush is best enjoyed live. I haven't seen them live in person, but their live DVDs blow me away when I watch them. Such a great band!

I have to agree their studio albums are excellent but live they are even more amazing. Spec do you have 'Rush In Rio' DVD, if you don't, rent it or buy it, it is an excellent performance and the audience is amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:37 am

SpectreFate wrote:

Rush In Rio - that concert just blows me away every time. You can see the incredible energy of the crowd feed into the band...who returns it right back to them with an inspired performance. It's a text book example of what a perfect concert should be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 am

Rush in RIO is the only one I haven't seen. I gotta rent that from Netflix.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:31 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Im not a fan of Rush at all, but I do find a couple of their songs ok and thats only the ones I hear on the radio etc. Tonight I was at FYE and they had a whole bunch of Rush remastered cds used and I was going to pick them up but I just couldnt do it. I like dream theater and they are influenced by them and Rush also has Neal Pert which everyone thinks I must really like his playing but I dont listen to them enough to get what he is or was all about so he isnt an influence on me at all. So I was wondering is Rush really something im missing in my collection or can I really do without them?

My opinion is highly biased, of course...but YES, Rush is a band missing from your collection. Every good rock collection MUST include at least some of their more popular stuff, like Moving Pictures or 2112.

Rush was one of my first "favorite" bands, and I have followed them thoughout their careers, even as my musical horizons have widened. They have been a constant in my collection. I think part of their appeal to me is the integrity of their music. Not only are they all fine musicians, but their lyrics are phenomenal...and unique. Really, while many bands write about dragons and ladies, how many can you name that have a song about a person driving a motor car in a not-so-distant future where these are illegal?

Rush managed to maintain themselves fresh and creative. Heck, I live evne their mid to late 80's synth material. I still listen to Hold Your Fire and Power Windows quite a bit. Some Rush fans might not be fond of their sound during that period, but I think Rush managed to take synthesizer and make the uniquely Rush. Those albums STILL don't sound like any other band at the time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Rush in RIO is the only one I haven't seen. I gotta rent that from Netflix.

I saw a bit of that show on VH1 Classic fairly recently. It was smokin'!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:35 am

detuned wrote:

I agree, that even their week material trumps many other bands. However, I am actually a fan of Hold Your Fire. There might be a sentimental factor too, because I was a senior in high school when this album came out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 am

I actually like Hold Your Fire as well, but much prefer Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows from the same period.

Hold Your Fire was just over-produced and some of the songwriting on that one is a little "bombastic", when something more subtle would have gotten the point across just as well.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:58 am

I'd rate the entire Rush catalog a 9.5/10 !
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 9:22 pm

wow this threads still going huh? I never got to pick any live albums yet. I always go to buy them but I end up putting them back because If I already have all the studio stuff then I just think do I really need the live cds? Even though I do like to own everything im really trying to stick to studio albums unless its a band that im really really into. Its hard not getting these live cds though since you all keep talking about how good they are. When I get some bills taken care of I will most likely pick them up. Theyr only 9.99 for the remasters so not too bad. That reminds me I got some cds that are originals and id like to trade for remasters if anyones interested.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

One of the GREATEST live albums ever !!!!! Did I say that? is anyone surprised. Definatley one of their best Two live discs.... And that version of By-Tor ROCKS !!!!!!!!

Only to be topped by the version on 'Different Stages' the 3rd disc recorded in 1978 in London on the Hemispheres tour. Yes they use it as a bridge into 'Xanadu' but it SMOKES !!!

Stepcousin wrote:

"All The World's A Stage" is so awesome, back when they were hungry and it seemed like they wanted to play anywhere, all night long, and every day of the year.

That 1978 Hammersmith show on "Different Stages" is so great, and unlike their first 2 live albums that Ive been listening to for decades, that album Ive only heard for about 3 years now. I love it, it has the only live version Ive ever heard of "Cinderella Man". Man, what I'd give to have seen them live back in the 70's.

Unfortunately they only played half of "Bytor" on that 1978 album, in fact they only played that song in it's entirety for less than 2 years, from mid-'75 to early '77 on the 2112 tour and by the time "Farewell To Kings" came out they chopped it in half and used it for an intro to "Xanadu" for about 3 more years and then "Bytor" vanished and wasnt played again until the Vapor Trails tour in 2003.

Happy
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 11:20 am

"A Passage To Bangkok"(Live) is outta this world! How good is RUSH? - Page 6 604261
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How good is RUSH?   How good is RUSH? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How good is RUSH?
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6