Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Megadeth thread

Go down 
+84
Hadley
Wrecked Neck
nevermore
HeavyThrashhead
666_Evil_666
Wurthless
stormspell
Lari
bgsully
Zdan
glassprison
Rami Airola
DevZor
Lurideath
Thelemech
oldschooldoom
Vexer6
Dr8breed74
Glower
sovdat
mlotek
mikeinfla
chewie
Wayne
Runicen
Eyesore
DakotaRogers
MetallicSeminarian
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
choosemetal
thejokeriv
corplhicks
MoonChild
the sentinel
7thSaviour
Svengo
FATALITY
Gilbert
Addy
James B.
MetalRob331
XYZ
sam
akeldama
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
zombiewalkin
metalinmyveins
kmorg
Tall Tyrion
EvyMetal
GrandNational
Leatherface
Vordul
shamgar75
DeathCult
Mortuary
kethdredd
A Handful of Wayne
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Shiney
TheGooch
TrogDawn
Todd Jaymz
ghost
Troublezone
SideShowDisaSter
Jedilink
MetalH
Temple of Blood
Chairman_Smith
Rex
mc666
ultmetal
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Smindas
88 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 42  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 10:03 am

I'm glad I didn't waste money on this album. Nothing but hype and wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 10:44 am

What a shock. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 12:06 pm

S.D. wrote:

I think I'm more shocked about how complimentary you've been towards the album. Getting a hankerin' for metal again? Smile

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 2:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I think I'm more shocked about how complimentary you've been towards the album. Getting a hankerin' for metal again? Smile

Yeah exactly. Why? It's not any better than dozens of other thrash albums released in the last decade.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 2:39 pm

Megadeth haven't failed to live up to my hopes (and expectations), thankfully. Could have been a better album definitely but it is listen-able (as a Megadeth fanboy)

Last edited by MoonChild on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 2:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I have no idea why this album clicked, it just did.  I really like the title track and Poisonous Shadows, those two tunes were a little unexpected and I thought a nice surprise.   There are a couple songs I could definitely live without (Post American World and Foreign Policy) and I also think The Emperor kind of wears out its welcome thru repetition but overall an enjoyable album.  The only bonus track I liked was Me Hate You (despite the moronic lyrics) and I also really liked the Budgie cover.  I'll probably reassemble the album in iTunes and use those two tracks to replace Post American World and Foreign Policy.  

Better production and a better drummer also push this up a couple notches over recent Megadeth albums.

For the record, I still dig Overkill and Slayer and I still like Testament, but their past couple albums have had a few songs I really liked...and then the rest fades into the background.

"It's not any better than dozens of other thrash records released in the last decade." - That's a subjective statement and since I'm not you and you're not me, it's irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 pm

The best Megadeth since ... Cryptic Writings? I quite like it.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yeah exactly.  Why?  It's not any better than dozens of other thrash albums released in the last decade.

It's quite a rare thing that a new album by anyone contains even one new song that goes straight into the band's best songs. Megadeth has been great in having at least one excellent track in each of their albums. And all the best Megadeth songs are also instantly in my all time favorite heavy metal songs too. So, when Megadeth is capable on putting at least one song in each album that ends up becoming one of my all time favorite metal tracks, then the band is doing great in my eyes. Even Super Collider had Dance in the Rain which, apart from the second part of the song, is one of the best Megadeth tracks ever.

There are sooooo many bands who are NEVER able to do that. There are so many bands where the best song in their new album is ok at best.

This album has Dystopia and Poisonous Shadows which both are absolutely fantastic tracks.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 9:43 pm

I already received my Dystopia vinyl from the Target exclusive promo. I bought the CD on Saturday and redeemed the code that same day. So even though they said 4-6 weeks, I got it in 4 business days.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Finally got my CD (Best Buy +2 version) in the mail today. Happy dance! :cheese:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Finally got my CD (Best Buy +2 version) in the mail today. Happy dance! :cheese:

\'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 11:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm glad I didn't waste money on this album.  Nothing but hype and wishful thinking.

I really am struggling to think of the last time you wrote anything about a record you liked.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 11:53 pm

I kind of like how harsh ToB's opinions are most of the time; it makes the discussion a little more "lively" (if that's the right word, haha). I never can predict what he'll like or dislike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 12:59 am

Just listened to the whole thing. It's better than the last two albums for sure, but I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be. I find the vocals to be a wholly strained and unbearable listen, and they soil most of the album's merits. Although there are some good riffs and other song ideas present, it's not an album that I couldn't go without. There are plenty other albums being released this year that I'd rather get.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 10:21 am

I don't get the problems with the vocals, they sound like Dave to me. It's not like he's Steve Perry or Steve Walsh. He was never a good singer just a singer who was right for the music.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

chewie wrote:
I don't get the problems with the vocals, they sound like Dave to me. It's not like he's Steve Perry or  Steve Walsh. He was never a good singer just a singer who was right for the music.

I agree. His vocals are the same as they've always been.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
chewie wrote:
I don't get the problems with the vocals, they sound like Dave to me. It's not like he's Steve Perry or  Steve Walsh. He was never a good singer just a singer who was right for the music.

I agree.  His vocals are the same as they've always been.

I wouldn't go that far but agree that they always have been distinctive and suited the music.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I really am struggling to think of the last time you wrote anything about a record you liked.

Well, we mainly talk about mainstream bands here so that limits the discussion quite a bit.

I have a tremendous metal collection and listen to a ton of obscure bands on YouTube.  It takes more to impress me probably than the average metal fan who just listens to releases from the few bigger metal labels.

Off the top of my head, I thought the new Nile sounded very promising and think they sound better than ever.

I thought the new Watchtower songs were amazing.

Stuff I've been listening to lately:

Intruder - Psycho Savant
Vulture - Easier to Lie
Antidote - The Truth
Forbidden - Trapped (demos)
Accept - Best of
Mad Dragzter - Master of Space and Time
Artch - Another Return
Sacrilege B.C. - Party with God
Corruptor - Towering Inferno
Deathrow - Life Beyond
Kronin - Peace Bomb
Indestroy - Senseless Theories
Toxin - Cloned
Entophyte - End of Society's Sanity
Vio-lence - 1993 demo
Apocalypse - s/t
Nuclear Assault - Something Wicked
Forbidden - Green
MOD - Gross Misconduct
Voight Kampff - More Human than Human
Hexenhaus - Awakening

Most of what I listen to are older artists.  I think metal was vastly superior in the 70s/80s/90s than the last decade or so.  I do really like supporting newer bands though when they are doing good stuff.  It's important to invest in the future for when the veteran bands retire.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I kind of like how harsh ToB's opinions are most of the time; it makes the discussion a little more "lively" (if that's the right word, haha). I never can predict what he'll like or dislike.

I'm just trying to be honest.

I wanted this album to be a great comeback (the way I felt TSHF and Endgame were) but it's just not.

It's not good enough that it's heavy.  They could've had their pick of a lot of talented players and they had the talent to deliver something with a lot more staying more than this.

Mustaine's vocal performance may not be top-notch but he is far from the biggest problem here.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Just listened to the whole thing. It's better than the last two albums for sure, but I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.

Absolutely!

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Well, we mainly talk about mainstream bands here so that limits the discussion quite a bit.

I have a tremendous metal collection and listen to a ton of obscure bands on YouTube.  It takes more to impress me probably than the average metal fan who just listens to releases from the few bigger metal labels.

Off the top of my head, I thought the new Nile sounded very promising and think they sound better than ever.

Stuff I've been listening to lately:

Intruder - Psycho Savant
Vulture - Easier to Lie
Antidote - The Truth
Forbidden - Trapped (demos)
Accept - Best of
Mad Dragzter - Master of Space and Time
Artch - Another Return
Sacrilege B.C. - Party with God
Corruptor - Towering Inferno
Deathrow - Life Beyond
Kronin - Peace Bomb
Indestroy - Senseless Theories
Toxin - Cloned
Entophyte - End of Society's Sanity
Vio-lence - 1993 demo
Apocalypse - s/t
Nuclear Assault - Something Wicked
Forbidden - Green
MOD - Gross Misconduct
Voight Kampff - More Human than Human
Hexenhaus - Awakening

Most of what I listen to are older artists.  I think metal was vastly superior in the 70s/80s/90s than the last decade or so.  I do really like supporting newer bands though when they are doing good stuff.  It's important to invest in the future for when the veteran bands retire.

That Deathrow album is completely underrated, people always seem to love either the first two or Deception Ignored but I think that one found balance and it's a shame it was their last.

Thing is, I kind of agree that some of the bigger bands have been coasting for a decade or more purely because they have decided that it's more profitable to 'give the fans what they want' I thought that the new Slayer record was pathetic but it will still get a lot more attention than a Reek or a Shrapnel (two thrash records that I did like.) I just think that it's good to talk about the music that you feel passionate about, it's the reason we are still into this music.  Smile
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Wait! What!?! There are new Watchtower songs????
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 1:17 am

in anticipation of dystopia, which I should get soon, I played united abominations on my way home from work late last night.

this is the best megadeth album in years. crushing.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 6:37 pm

chewie wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

They've released 4 new original songs since 2010.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 11:53 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
chewie wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

They've released 4 new original songs since 2010.

Oh, I was thinking that they dropped an Eps worth of tunes recently and I missed it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 27 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Megadeth thread
Page 27 of 42Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 42  Next