Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Megadeth thread

Go down 
+84
Hadley
Wrecked Neck
nevermore
HeavyThrashhead
666_Evil_666
Wurthless
stormspell
Lari
bgsully
Zdan
glassprison
Rami Airola
DevZor
Lurideath
Thelemech
oldschooldoom
Vexer6
Dr8breed74
Glower
sovdat
mlotek
mikeinfla
chewie
Wayne
Runicen
Eyesore
DakotaRogers
MetallicSeminarian
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
choosemetal
thejokeriv
corplhicks
MoonChild
the sentinel
7thSaviour
Svengo
FATALITY
Gilbert
Addy
James B.
MetalRob331
XYZ
sam
akeldama
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
zombiewalkin
metalinmyveins
kmorg
Tall Tyrion
EvyMetal
GrandNational
Leatherface
Vordul
shamgar75
DeathCult
Mortuary
kethdredd
A Handful of Wayne
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Shiney
TheGooch
TrogDawn
Todd Jaymz
ghost
Troublezone
SideShowDisaSter
Jedilink
MetalH
Temple of Blood
Chairman_Smith
Rex
mc666
ultmetal
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Smindas
88 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
New Megadeth is okay, but it's not memorable. Cool when it's on, but it lacks hooks BIG TIME, so you just forget it. I know thrash isn't exactly known for catchy hooks, but the best thrash bands have them, in my opinion. Megadeth used to.

Yeah, I have to agree, I kept waiting for catchy choruses and there werent many.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
New Megadeth is okay, but it's not memorable. Cool when it's on, but it lacks hooks BIG TIME, so you just forget it. I know thrash isn't exactly known for catchy hooks, but the best thrash bands have them, in my opinion. Megadeth used to.

Hook in Mouth. Razz
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Vocal hooks in Megadeth has never been the priority. Dave Mustaine’s voice has always been criticized as the weak link. Most people that love Megadeth do so because of the music. Dave’s voice is weird (but unique) like Getty Lee. It’s an acquired taste. At this point we are just used to his voice. It’s a part of the charm. I see him kinda like a musical “narrator”.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 6:59 pm

A couple songs sound like a throwback to the Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings albums. The title track and Killing Time (in particular). Also the drums on Psychopathy seem like a nod to Nick Menza. He played like that on “Trust”.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 8:12 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Vocal hooks in Megadeth has never been the priority. Dave Mustaine’s voice has always been criticized as the weak link. Most people that love Megadeth do so because of the music. Dave’s voice is weird (but unique) like Getty Lee. It’s an acquired taste. At this point we are just used to his voice. It’s a part of the charm. I see him kinda like a musical “narrator”.

Doesn't have to be vocals, though many of their older songs have vocal hooks. The riffs can be the hook, as well, like in "Holy Wars." That song doesn't even have a chorus, does it?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 9:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Doesn't have to be vocals, though many of their older songs have vocal hooks. The riffs can be the hook, as well, like in "Holy Wars." That song doesn't even have a chorus, does it?

Well I wasn’t sure what hook you were talking about. Yes, a hook can be a riff too! Of coarse Megadeth had some vocal hooks in the past. The song Peace Sells for example… it’s a sing along anthem.

Is an infectious riff the same as a hook? Because there is definitely a few very good ones on this album.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Finally got through it. It's decent overall. Not a fan of the guitar tone at all. Too clean/polished I guess. A lot of killer riffing on this album! That impressed me. Drumming was great and of course the bass is great. So overall it is way better than I thought it was and this is the best since "So Far So Good". I'd give it a 6/10 though.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 am

Listened partially on the road, then completely a few evenings later. Gonna do the "blastin' in the shop while wrenching on somethun" test down the road and see if it grabs ahold of anything/

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Loved it! Definitely one of their better albums as of late. Couple songs were kind meh, but overall really good!

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2023 7:38 pm

I just found out they're coming to my province in May. I am stoked!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 3:24 pm

I bought my ticket to see them live in May this morning!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 am

Hooks are near-imperative to the songwriting process for me. I have been able to get into some songs that lack in that department, but without them it can quickly become boring.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 1:27 pm

Now that some time has gone by and the dust has settled on the controversy…

I kind of feel sorry for Ellefson. He obviously made a huge error of judgment and it will probably follow him for many years to cum.

Kinky Loureiro has also flown the coop. I guess it’s true that Mustaine runs a tight ship and has borderline tyrant tendencies… but he gets the job done. He’s a metal icon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 42 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Megadeth thread
Page 42 of 42Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42