Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slipknot?

Go down 
+36
ghost
Todd Jaymz
MetalH
IHATEGENRES
skullsmasher
manny
Skysplitter
powermacho
Selvmord
Stender
XYZ
Muloc7253
ThrashedOutCobra33
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
Smindas
shamgar75
stormspell
Rex
TheGooch
fingers
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
rattpoison
nevermore
MetalRob331
mc666
Shiney
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Wargod
caniplaywithmadness?
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
White_Mage
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Never really cared for them, but you've got to give them respect for probably being the most extreme/heaviest band to go platinum!
You know alot of the criticism Slipknot and Marilyn Manson get from 'older' fans of more classic hard rock/metal is all relative, because those same criticisms were being levelled at Kiss and Alice Cooper back in the 70's from older fans of rock n' roll. You're really not mean't to get it, it's more of a younger generation thing. For kids growing up in the late 90's early 00's, Slipknot and Marilyn Manson were their Kiss and Alice Cooper respectively.

True, but even Manson has SOME musicanship on his side, Slipknot cant even claim that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm a ''kid'' and I hate them. F*CK SLIPKNOT!
Back to top Go down

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

Laughing very hard Any idea who he was talking about though?
Back to top Go down

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

LOL! Who is this guy?!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

LOL! Who is this guy?!

The Iron Sheik
Back to top Go down

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm

DeathCult wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

LOL! Who is this guy?!

The Iron Sheik

He can return in his country 'cuz French canadian were here before!
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Slipknot? Leave the slip and let me have the NOT! part only Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:27 am

AceFrehley655 wrote:
He can return in his country 'cuz French canadian were here before!
He's an old WWF wrestler. In his old age he's gone a little crazy. There's all kinds of clips of him online saying crazy things. I couldn't pass up using this one. Haha.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Just one song   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Only song I like of theirs - Wait and Bleed. Other than that, don't care for them. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm

I think the reason why a lot of old-school Heavy Metal fans and myself do not like the whole nu-metal movement, is because it is just not classified Rock or Heavy Metal - I'd say it's another form of pop-music

- Artists like Britney Spears and Madonna are hugely popular because their songs are catchy - vocal wise! If you take a handfull of Spears songs and took the vocals away, you would have a boring, electronic beat that would put you to sleep within minutes - Same with a lot of nu-metal today - If you took the vocals away, you'd end up with some mooshy guitar, that really does not contain a real riff - Just some simple strumming. Sure, you have the drums and all, but still...it would be one large snore-fest.

See, Rock and Heavy Metal was meant to be a lot more intrumental - The band members would write some good riffs, pummeling rythme sections and awesome solo's, so that the instrumental part would be 80% of the importance of the song. Most Nu-Metal bands don't do that, and just do the same thing as pop-singers - Catchy vocal flow.

- And that is why I don't concider the majority of Nu-Metal a Heavy Metal genre - It contains NONE of the main characteristics of Heavy Metal.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 4:20 pm

that is a very good analogy of it i would say. slipknot bore me to death after the first five songsof the IOWA album cos the rest is pure filler
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Slipknot have never really been my bag. I like bits and pieces - sometimes they really hit the musical nail right on the head. But a lot of it's kind of "okay, so they're angry and there's a stop-start riff being played. why's that guy wanking off his nose?".

However, Slipknot are often ripped on because they're a 'trendy' band. I put it to you that the tables have turned and it is now trendy to hate Slipknot. Woah.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I think the reason why a lot of old-school Heavy Metal fans and myself do not like the whole nu-metal movement, is because it is just not classified Rock or Heavy Metal - I'd say it's another form of pop-music

Nu-Metal (i hate that tag but i gotta use it) is heavy metal, it's the 90's-00's progression of the genre. Sure Slipknot is different to say an 80's band like Slayer, but then Slayer is as different to a 70's heavy metal band like Montrose. So over time music changes and evolves particuarly a progressive music genre like heavy metal.

Mglaffas81 wrote:
- Artists like Britney Spears and Madonna are hugely popular because their songs are catchy - vocal wise! If you take a handfull of Spears songs and took the vocals away, you would have a boring, electronic beat that would put you to sleep within minutes - Same with a lot of nu-metal today - If you took the vocals away, you'd end up with some mooshy guitar, that really does not contain a real riff - Just some simple strumming. Sure, you have the drums and all, but still...it would be one large snore-fest.

Using that analogy, i could make an arguement that alot of Black Metal and Death Metal if you take away the vocals is 'pop' music and not heavy metal. Instrumentally its boring because it's too busy, in that it's guitar riffs, bass and even drum's are so hard to seperate that the music just turns into a boring wall of sound!

Mglaffas81 wrote:
See, Rock and Heavy Metal was meant to be a lot more intrumental - The band members would write some good riffs, pummeling rythme sections and awesome solo's, so that the instrumental part would be 80% of the importance of the song. Most Nu-Metal bands don't do that, and just do the same thing as pop-singers - Catchy vocal flow.

While it does eschew virtuosity ala solos it still contains the two components that make heavy metal, its heavy in its dense downtuned wall of guitars and rythm and its guitars are metallic sounding.
It places importance on loud soft dynamics that are common place in rock music, such as quiet verse loud chorus. This something Nirvana used to great effect, and before them the Pixies.

Mglaffas81 wrote:
- And that is why I don't concider the majority of Nu-Metal a Heavy Metal genre - It contains NONE of the main characteristics of Heavy Metal.

It contains a whole lot of characteristics inherent in heavy metal, obvious influences on the genre include many hard rock/metal bands such as King's X, Faith No More, Tool, Pantera, Suicidal Tendencies, Thrash Metal etc. It's base is in heavy metal, and it's progressive in it's incorporation of funk and rap to that heavy metal base.
It's an oddball metal genre, that the tags Progressive and Alternative Metal are more appropriate then the simplistic blanket term 'Nu-Metal' that is applied by music labels/media.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Nonsense. You know why I don't give an opinion on black metal? Because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Why do people online insist on giving these in depth opinions on genres and bands they don't like? It would be one thing if it was on ONE band or ONE album, but these broad generalizations are just silly.

Here are two important facts:

1. You do not know nu-metal. Simple as that. Not a big deal of course, you have the right to not want to listen to nu-metal bands. But like I don't know dick about black metal, you don't know dick about nu-metal. And I say this respectfully.

2. Slipknot is not nu-metal. And Corey Taylor is one hell of a great singer, and the two guitarists and the drummer are awesome!

Good day.

EDIT: I see rattpoison done wiped the floor right and good. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 12:34 am

humble rattpoison humble

Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Nonsense. You know why I don't give an opinion on black metal? Because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Why do people online insist on giving these in depth opinions on genres and bands they don't like? It would be one thing if it was on ONE band or ONE album, but these broad generalizations are just silly.

Here are two important facts:

1. You do not know nu-metal. Simple as that. Not a big deal of course, you have the right to not want to listen to nu-metal bands. But like I don't know dick about black metal, you don't know dick about nu-metal. And I say this respectfully.

2. Slipknot is not nu-metal. And Corey Taylor is one hell of a great singer, and the two guitarists and the drummer are awesome!

Good day.

EDIT: I see rattpoison done wiped the floor right and good. Laughing

well, all right, I was not really talking about Slipknot in particular. Rattpoison stated that they have the characteristics of Heavy Metal, in that the guitars sound heavy, because of downtuning, and the guitars have a "metallic" sound - While it might have some influences, it still doesn't contain much of the "metal" part - Heavy downtuning and shouted vocals does not a Heavy Metal band make. And yes, Corey is actually a great singer, and Mick and Jim are very highly skilled guitarists - It just bumms me out that they don't show their great skills in their music - Instead, they play some VERY simplistic strumming that almost anyone can play...most of the time. I was not really trying to put too much depth in the "are they a Heavy Metal band or not" discussion, I was really aiming more at the similarities to pop singers - Slipknot rely mostly on catchy vocal-flow, instead of kick-ass instrumental music. That's why most Slipknot fans only remember a few songs off each album, as the others are repetitively similar, and the instrumental pieces are not much different from the others.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:10 am

I wasn't really talking about Slipknot (I don't consider them part of Nu-Metal), i was talking about 'Nu-Metal' in general. The Metal part of Heavy Metal if you wan't to take it literally is the metallic guitars, something Nu-Metal possesses. Heavy downtuning and shouted vocals does make a heavy metal band, it might not be mine or your style of heavy metal band but theres no denying these bands that employ those characteristics are heavy metal.

As i said in the previous post Nu-Metal or whatever you want to call it is the progression of heavy metal, it broke the rules and changed the way heavy metal used to be played. It didn't regress into old formulas it progressed.

Having said all this i'm not really a fan of bands that are labelled Nu-Metal, but i'm more not a fan of people who pick and choose what is and isn't heavy metal based on what they like and dislike. Heavy Metal is a big diverse genre, not a narrow classicist one.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 5:33 am

rattpoison, if you were in my physical presence, I would high-five you.

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
It just bumms me out that they don't show their great skills in their music
But they do. How else would you know that they're very skilled musicians?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Anyone else heard the side project of the percussionist from Slipknot. It's called To My Surprise and sounds absolutely nothing like Slipknot. Sort of a psychedelic version of the Beatles. Very weird but interesting...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
It just bumms me out that they don't show their great skills in their music
But they do. How else would you know that they're very skilled musicians?

I have seen some video's in recent years, where the two explained some riffs off their songs, and did some jamming with some absolutely amazing improvised solo's. They also played off each other in some kind of guitar-battle. Very cool, I wish I could find it again...it's not on YouTube.

- And, as guitarists, I really do not see how they show their skills in Slipknot.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm not super familiar with them, so take that for what it's worth, but I've not seen anything from them that impresses me much on a musical level either, with the exception of the drumming. If they are good players, I've never heard anything from them that I would call evidence of that.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 11:55 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
- And, as guitarists, I really do not see how they show their skills in Slipknot.
Simply because you don't like Slipknot. Again, this is why it's just silly to put so much thought into things you dislike—and you do that all the time here.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Simply because you don't like Slipknot. Again, this is why it's just silly to put so much thought into things you dislike—and you do that all the time here.

Yes, I do. But it is not because I dislike them, that I cannot see the skill. Joey Jordison is an insanely talented drummer, and he does do some sick drumwork on some songs - That's probably the most enjoyable thing about Slipknot. Corey Taylor is a really good singer, and he has a very unique voice and style - For example, in the song "the Nameless", where he sings in the chorus - He sings it in such a depressing and...crying way. He is really unique. I admit, there are several parts on some Slipknot tracks that I enjoy - The intro to "the Nameless" has a very infectious opening, and sounds like a soundtrack for some sworm of wasps swarming around you - Weird description, but it's cool. They can have some really infectious grooves. That said, it is still only bits and pieces of their songs, and does not hold up for the entire track, as it get's boring quickly. I am not some narrow-minded dick, who wont see any positive things about a band, just because I dislike their music as a whole. If I like some of it, I don't try to hide it. I own Disturbed's "Ten Thousand Fists" CD - Disturbed play a main style of music, that certainly is miles away from my very wide musical taste. But I really like that CD, mainly because it has a really infevtious groove, and is really unique - Disurbed are one talented band, and they certainly should not be thrown into the "Nu-Metal" category. Still, I don't like "Believe", as it is too radio oriented, and it bores me. Slipknot - They are very unique. I like what they are doing with the costumes, their stage show is very entertaining, and they certainly seperate themselves from the pack - But the majority of the music does not hold up by a longshot - My opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Slipknot? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot?   Slipknot? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slipknot?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next