Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why does Slipknot...

Go down 
+11
kmorg
TheGooch
Temple of Blood
caniplaywithmadness?
ultmetal
Wargod
Fat Freddy
ghost
Smindas
mc666
Jedilink
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

Why does Slipknot... Empty
PostSubject: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 1:57 am

SUCK SO BADLY and STILL everyone seems to like them!?!??!?!?! I mean, come on!!! How hard is it to write lyrics about I want to kill everything that is...well not me (that's pretty much what they like to talk about). And they like to talk about...well just hating everything for no reason. Because things are normal or not exciting all the time, then they want to kill it?

In the song, "The Heretic Anthem" they basically just talk about, "We are cool, everything else is dumb and horrible so I'm going to kill it all" and (real lyrics this time Razz) "Like a dead beat winner, I want to be a sinner
An idolized bang for the industry killer". But yet, if they are SSSSOOOOOOOOOO ANTI industry....then how do you explain them being SOOOOOO popular and all that? If they are supposed to be the OPPOSITE of the industry, then what are they doing being a huge part of it?!?!?! angry

My friend AND his girlfriend love this band and I learned today that a friend from work really likes this band too. I keep TELLING them how AWFUL the band is but no one hears me! fainting
They must not be listening to the same band I'M hearing because they SUCK! The guy at work even was telling me that in "The Heretic Anthem" that they were talking about how "being evil is cool now and they are trying to parody that whole scene by saying, "If you're 555, then I'm 666"...ok so that's what he said...so I look at the words (and ACTUALLY listened to the song while doing so sick ) and they just talk (scream and yell actually) the whole time about how "the band is the opposite of the industry and how they are going to show everyone else how stupid they are for liking the industry."

Then the chorus (from what I'm seeing) it says if you're 555 (if you're into being the cool thing) then I'm 666 (then I'm the opposite of cool and I'm EVIL too!).

I mean come on, how hard is it to talk about "I want to kill everything that people think is cool because it isn't cool, it's all secretly brainwashing from THE MAN!" Razz

I SERIOUSLY must NOT be hearing the same band as all of these "Slipknot lovers" out there because this band SUCKS! Sorry I just had to put that out there. There's loads of GREAT bands out there that play really extreme metal of that sort but ones that don't...you know, SUCK. And they don't constantly talk about killing things for no reason other than existing and having differing views on things than the band!

Come on REAL metalheads! Is there anyone out there who realises this besides me because I'm sick of hearing them!

Last edited by on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 2:14 am

it sounds to me that it's the lyrics that bother you the most, as with your posts about how much you hate Slayers lyrics, & how you hate evil & how much you hate cursing, etc etc.

there is plenty of lyricly positive stuff out there as well. there is something for everyone.

Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 3:14 am

Dude, it's not JUST the lyrics man....the band is just dumb! I mean I love the song, "Good Mourning/Black Friday" by Megadeth! And that song is (well the "Black Friday" half of it anyway) about a homicidal madman who brutally murders people and how he likes to "Hack up their face till no features remain". I mean I love that song....but still. It's just that Slipknot is SO ANTI-music industry but yet they just seem to be so LOVED by all of the rock radio listening kids they like singing about hating!

It's like they hate everything they are but just haven't realized they're talking about hating themselves for being so popular.

Plus I just hate how everyone who likes them seems to think they're so DEEP whenever they mostly talk about just hating things all the time. I mean I get in bad moods and hate stuff sometimes and if I write a song about that, ok. But that's like the only thing they talk about it seems.

I also find it funny that they talk about hating mediocrity and normalcy whenever all of the normal, mediocre kids they're talking about seem to love them so much.

I just think it's dumb when I tell someone I don't like them and they freak out. I mean when I hate a band I don't freak out (well, ok so I don't do this in real life but this is a message board, I can freak out a little if I feel like it. Razz Haha) I tell the person that I don't like them, but with Slipknot people really get on me for that.

The guy just yells and screams all the time, the production on the guitars is horrible because they feel that they have to de-tune SO MUCH and they have turntables in the band...like a rap-metal band or something. I mean turtables are fine in certain genres....but please keep your rap out of my metal no matter how minuscuke it might be. There are EXTREMELY few examples where Metal and Rap meet and it worked.

However, the band (from what I'm HEARING) seems to take all the sucky parts of death metal (crappy vocals and whatnot and super heaviness, even if there's no REASON to be super heavy constantly) and all the sucky parts of nu-metal (or just everything nu-metal in the first place) and mix it together. They have those dumb start-stop riffs CONSTANTLY throughout the songs and...yeah, is there anything else I should say?

There's a lot of mainstream bands I don't really like but I don't freak out if someone else likes them. But Slipknot....come on people. For such a hugely POPULAR band, you can do WAY better than that garbage. I'd rather listen to Slayer. At least they know how to write good MUSIC. AND Slayer doesn't ALWAYS talk about hating things for no reason. They talk about hating God and stuff but they don't exclusively write on just hating everything all the time.

Seriously people. If you need to have a really popular modern sounding extreme metal-ish band...you can do a billion times better than Slipknot. I'm gonna go listen to Undecieved by Extol now...
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 5:16 am

I'm no huge Slipknot fan but your rant seems to be based on very little. I mean there's no problem with disliking a band, but your justifications seem a little off. Whilst I agree that generally their lyrics aren't deep, there's actually far more going on there than you'd expect. Plus the lyrics don't always focus on killing people - have you ever heard Before I Forget or Vermillion, which are two of their stronger songs? Also, I've never got the impression that Slipknot are trying to be "anti-industry", I just don't really get that impression from the lyrics. I think they fully accept their mainstreamness. Also, I'd say one of the more redeeming factors of Slipknot is Corey Taylor's vocals - the guy can be very good when he wants to be, as shown on particular the third album of theirs.

There are always going to be bands you dislike. For some reason you seem to passionately hate Slipknot, which is entirely your decision and completely fair enough, but I think you need to understand people are entitled to opinions which differ from your own.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 6:07 am

Smindas wrote:

There are always going to be bands you dislike. For some reason you seem to passionately hate Slipknot, which is entirely your decision and completely fair enough, but I think you need to understand people are entitled to opinions which differ from your own.
well said Smindas...

it seems to me, that a persons time would be better spent turning people on to bands that they do like, rather than ridiculing the likes of others. you'll find people more open to suggestions that way.

ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 6:11 am

I’m not a Slipknot fan, but I occasionally listen their CDs. I haven’t any CD of them, but my son was a fan 3 years ago but has moved away from them since then. He has several CDs of them which I can listen at if I like to. I don’t care about the lyrics but sometimes I enjoy the music. After listening to one CD I have enough of them for some time. I don’t like them very much, but I don’t think that they are terrible. In my opinion most their popularity is based on the fact that their provocation.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 8:14 am

I just dont' understand why they need 9 people in that band. I'm sure they could easily sound just as bad with 5.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 8:31 am

Well to me it is the coorperate record companies pushing the band to make them money. I have never listened to any of their cds so I can't comment on the music. But every so often there will be bands like Slipknot that will be hated.
If I don't like them I just move there are far to many more bands deserving my ears.

I guess I'd just move on and being young your caught in that what is poular nowdays syndrome! I'm one of the oldest here and I listen to music from the 60's to today. I don't like it all but what grabs my ears I hold on to and push them and don't waste my time putting down other bands, I like what my ears like!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 9:16 am

I always thought they were musically and vocally terrible and from the get go a very pathetic band. Your input only helps me to think it further.

Sadly I fear my days with Anthrax are over if they hire Slipknots lead singer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 9:30 am

I don't know how to answer your rant. I feel the same way about Korn.
I've owned a couple Korn CDs trying to figure out what all the hype is
about and I just don't get it, so I move on, don't listen to them and
don't buy any of their CDs. What I have heard of Slipknot didn't really
float my boat, so I don't listen to them.

As to why they are so popular? I don't know. Big corporations pushing
them on America. The magazines featuring them in just about every
issue. Radio overplaying their songs. It's a bit of all that. Most
people aren't interested in music the way many people on this site are.
They will listen to whatever they can find at their local Wal-Mart and
is being played on local radio. They aren't interested in underground
bands that they have to search out. It's just not their interest, sort
of how I am uninterested in 90% of all sports. I guess everybody has
their thing.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 11:30 am

haha, i love a good rant
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 pm

IMHO:

Their fans are predominantly young kids who haven't heard much music in general. They probably sound pretty good to someone without much basis for comparison. People who are music buffs with huge CD collections and have heard a lot tend not to be into them, Korn, or Limp Bizkit.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 1:58 pm

Aren't Slipknot kinda "out" right now anyway? This rant would've been much more timely four or five years ago. Smile
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 1:58 pm

they ripped off korn who are the only good nu - metal band except korn were not a metal band, nor ever wanted to be or set out to be so it was industry who callled them metal to make them seem cool.

same with slipknoit

i know loads of people who think slipknot are the best and they are aggressive and heavy in many songs sounding more metal than most nu - metal while paring down the rap and electronica associated with linkin park and limp bizkit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Who is Slipknot?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 5:03 pm

Someone tell Jedilink that this thread is the forum equivalent of everything he's complaining about when it comes to Slipknot.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 1:04 am

Hey don't put ME down now! I'm not a fool. I'm just saying that for all the hype around them....why do they sound like that? And so many people like Panic At The Disco (and I had BETTER NOT hear ANYONE defending them on here) but listen to them! The singer is whiney and it just sounds like he can't ACTUALLY hit any notes so he doesn't really try to do very well.

As for Slipknot. How is my logic flawed? What is WRONG with liking a band who has a clean guitar sound? I mean there's plenty of aggression but not nearly the substance people seem to SAY the band has. I don't mind dress up in a band (Lordi is friggin awesome!) it's just that when you have a band who is this popular, why do they seem to talk about hating the industry? They are a big player in it! I mean, I don't yell at someone who says that they are good. I don't yell at someone if they tell me that Stryper sucks or something.

I don't mind an arguement...as long as people are open to listening to other's views. Besides, this is a forum, I'm allowed to express an extreme opinion and let other people react to it. I'm not insane for not liking this band, I just find them to be EXCRUTIATINGLY overrated (not unlike The Pirates of the Caribbean movies...which are good and all but not deserving of what hype they get).

I mean there's loads of terrific extreme metal style bands out there that are much better than this. But because Slipknot is so popular, people don't really look for anything else out there. I'm not saying EVERYONE who listens to them is a retard, but a lot of people who do seem to like them like all the radioplay stuff.

I don't PASSIONATELY hate Slipknot...they just aren't what people say they are. There's nothing wrong with a band being different and all but they have to be good. It's like listening to Norma Jean or something to me. Or maybe Underoath.

Anyways, hate ME all you want I don't care. I'm just saying people need to look harder for actually good stuff. And just because you listen to them, I'm not saying you're some horrible person. As for being timely, I just heard some guys from work talking about them and ever since they came out, they've just rubbed me the wrong way. I've seriously TRIED to listen to them critically and without just insane bias or anything. My conclusion is that they just suck. You can like them if you want, I just personally think they're terrible. Now start flaming me cuz I'm sure someone will.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 5:07 am

Jedilink, and everyone else, are entitled to their opinions. And his rant is just one of the ways to express musical differences, and opinions. That is what boards like these are for. Now if ALL his posts were like that, it would be a different matter. But this is one thread, so I think it is quite valid.

Besides, I agree with him lol!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 am

The few songs I hear occasionally on satellite radio aren't so bad that I change the station, but I'm not purchasing their cd's either. I'm not a fan and don't quite see the facination, but I don't waste my time thinking about 'em.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 10:37 am

I have Vol 3 and enjoy a few songs.It kinda grows tiresome after a while but has some decent riffs.Joey Jordison is a very talented drummer.Other than that I can take them or leave them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 am

I like some of Slipknot's stuff....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 10:42 am

Jedilink wrote:
Hey don't put ME down now! I'm not a fool.
Dude, you're acting like a fool. No offense, but it's true. Just look at how much you've written in this thread about a band you dislike. What is your point? Why spend so much time on this subject? This is music; opinions are subjective. Your words are not the "end-all be-all" on the band Slipknot.

I absolutely cannot stand it when someone puts so much time and energy into things they dislike. You're slamming Slipknot for basically their negativity. Well, you're being nothing but negative here! Why not put some of this misguided passion to a more positive use. I don't even need to check your other posts to make a confident bet that you've not yet posted this much on a band you like on this forum. I'd rather read paragraphs about stuff you enjoy, rather than stuff you don't. This thread reeks of Blabbermouth.

People like Slipknot. Millions of people. People dislike Slipknot. Millions of people. Thus the universe stays in balance. Move on. Nothing to see here.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 11:57 am

kmorg wrote:
Jedilink, and everyone else, are entitled to their opinions. And his rant is just one of the ways to express musical differences, and opinions.
and the replies were also ways to express musical differences, and opinions.

if one posts a long winded rant like this, one has to expect negative reactions. i don't even like Slipknot & the thread irked me.

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 6:55 am

Jedilink wrote:
Panic At The Disco (and I had BETTER NOT hear ANYONE defending them on here)
Is that a threat? ;P Whilst I'm not a fan myself, get this - people are able to like both metal and bands like Panic. Wild, isn't it?

Jedilink wrote:
What is WRONG with liking a band who has a clean guitar sound?
What's wrong with liking a band without?

Jedilink wrote:
I just personally think they're terrible.
That's entirely fine man, I'm sure a lot of us agree. I just don't think you should be regarding the people who enjoy their stuff as flat out 'wrong'.

People just have different tastes, which is great - it'd be boring if everyone like the exact same things. Can you not understand that different people who enjoy different things to you can see the appeal in a band you dislike? I mean surely that's just the entire concept of 'taste' in action.

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 2:01 am

Hey guys,

Hey this is my first post, hope it ain't my last.

I can sort of relate to what jedilink is saying, he's fed up with his workmates etc. getting into Slipknot, and cannot understand the appeal of the lyrics. At best Slipknot's lyrics are meant to be scary to parents of 12 year old mallrats who have just gotten into Slipknot cos of their "wild" image, and total lack of commercial appeal (which is ironic considering their album sales).

On the other hand just how relevant are Slipknot nowadays anyhow? It's been 3 years since their last album release, nu-metal is dying in the ass & Corey Taylor is apparently joining Anthrax to sing with them (cripes almighty). Stonesour's last album sold moderately as well.

To be fair I suppose jedilink has a spleen to vent over Slipknot, however it's kinda akin to complaining about the Beatles as another example. People like them, people hate them also. They're not metal either, the same as Slipknot. even though they tried to be as anti-establishment as they could be on Sgt. Peppers album, it ended up being one of their most successful albums.

Personally I feel the best thing that jedilink can do is after his friends have had an earful of Slipknot, maybe playing them something decent might change their minds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why does Slipknot...   Why does Slipknot... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why does Slipknot...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next