Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For Guitarists Thread..

Go down 
+6
caniplaywithmadness?
TheGooch
Smindas
White_Mage
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 3:24 pm

thats cool about the jackson. i would love a new guitar but i musr save my money for university ahhhhh

i would love a gibson les paul 59 reissue or an explorer 70 reissue

or a dean usa ml or dean usa dean from hell
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 1:25 am

TheGooch wrote:
thats cool about the jackson. i would love a new guitar but i musr save my money for university ahhhhh

a couple years ago I bought a dean v and I love (even though it's sorta broken now Sad ) Deans are great because there great quality guitars but there pretty cheap. my dean only cost a couple hundred bucks.

Maybe you could afford a cheaper dean there Gooch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Anybody own a Digitech GNX4?

I just got one for christmas and have not had much time to fiddle with it much less take it out of the box. Just curious if anyone else here has some experience with it or any other studio work stations. I do know that running it through my Laney 50 sounds like crap. It sounds a lot better when I run it through a couple of studio monitors. Looks like lots of good tones and amp models. We shall see. Anybody got any tips for this thing.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 3:42 am

Whats e1's fav song to play on guitar?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 am

I generally get the biggest kick out of playing the riffs I've come up with. You get a nice sense of satisfaction knowing you can rock of your own accord.

I also like to jam Seek & Destroy though.

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:52 am

White_Mage wrote:
TheGooch wrote:

a couple years ago I bought a dean v and I love (even though it's sorta broken now Sad ) Deans are great because there great quality guitars but there pretty cheap. my dean only cost a couple hundred bucks.

Maybe you could afford a cheaper dean there Gooch

i already have a Dean - the cheapest one they do
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:30 pm

I remember when I was a teen and Deans were just a step up from a Harmony. Then that guy in Texas started playin' 'em.......
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Seek n destroy is awesome to jam over. My favs to play are

Silverchair - Shade
Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Lynyrd Skynyrd - On the Hunt
Metallica - Master of Puppets

and many many more
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 6:04 am

spectrefate wrote:
I remember when I was a teen and Deans were just a step up from a Harmony. Then that guy in Texas started playin' 'em.......

my mate has a 79 vintage dean ml which he bought for £210. i want it!

i also want a less pinty guitar so i can sit on the sofa and play easier
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:14 am

Metalrob - (and others)

I'm to the point where I can reasonably string riffs and chords together to make little songs to practice. However, I'm lost on soloing. I've been practicing simple scales and string switching, alternate picking etc....but how do I start to write simple little solos?

Silly question and I'm sure pointing me in the right direction will do the trick. I'm just currently stuck on where to begin.

I'm basically self-teaching (can't afford lessons) so any suggestions will help.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:27 am

Well what i tend to tell ppl is to try and figure out what notes on the fretboard go with each chord. The easiest trick i can tell u is learn the Pentatonic Scale in A minor thats played at the 5th fret on the low E string. What i would suggest is practicing that scale to where u can go up and down the scale easily without to many miss picks. The scale goes as follows and the numbers are the frets..

E - 5,8
A - 5,7
D - 5,7
G - 5,7
D - 5,8
e - 5,8

Always start and end ur solo on the root note as well. If ur solo starts with the chord G then ur root note would be G. If ur solo starts with the chord A then ur root note would be A and so on.

Another trick that i learned over the years is that at the 12 fret or the dbl dots the fret board starts over. Therefore whatever string u hit open the same note on that string will be at the 12th fret. So if u hit the E string open then hit the 12th fret on the E string its the same note. This way if u are playing in G u can slide down to the 12th fret on the G string and start playing little lead licks.

Most of the scales i know are from experimenting and it takes time, just try and remember what notes sound good with certain chords. I would recommend playing over backing tracks which u can find online.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:39 am

Quote :
E - 5,8
A - 5,7
D - 5,7
G - 5,7
D - 5,8
e - 5,8

This I do.... O.K., thanks! I'll just keep plugging along. I've noticed one eventually picks things up that 3-4 months ago seemed impossible. More then ANYTHING I've ever done the guitar (instraments) build. You must build. I like to practice so that's one thing I've got going for me.

THANKS ROB!

I also work on

8,11 8,10 8,10 8,10 8,11 8,11 and then the 10,13 and the 15,18 ones. That last one the space is tiny and I struggle. I'm getting close to mastering 8,11, so what you've said is good news. Just need to keep plugging away!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Metalrob...I downloaded your riff to practice and ALL yesterday it was in my head. I woke up with it in my head!

Tell me about metranome. I've been getting conflicting info. Why should I get one? What does it do? How do I use it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 am

Well a Metronome is to help you pick up speed and be more accurate. I have tried one out but it was more a hassle then anything. Here is a good one to try

http://www.guitar-online.com/metronome-simple-compound-oddtime-meters.htm
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:02 pm

My Jackson Just Came In The Other Day I Love It I Can't Stop Playing It

Have You Ever Gotten That Were You Like A Guitar So Much You Just Can't Stop Playing It
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:15 pm

Yea it seems that way at first. I think getting a sick amp is much more enjoyable then getting a good guitar. I have played a lot of guitars through tons of amps. Go to a guitar shop and find the cheapest guitar on the wall and start amp hopping. Its great as you can def hear the difference in amps this way. Once u find that one that sounds so good u never put the guitar down.

But yes my new Ibanez i cant let go of
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:30 pm

yeah amps are defenetly more fun one you first get them i just traded my little practice amp to a buddy for a 30 watt Roland Cube and its great tons of settings I can get all the tones I need from it for practicing

But I'd Love to get a Soldano SLO 100-W
Or a Laney GH100TI
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 pm

That's what I'm looking forward to. I'm still just a beginner but when I get to the point where I can actually play full songs and sound like I know what I'm doing a little I'd like to upgrade to a half-decent amp. The little Kramer $50 amp I have serves me and it's nice for what it is, but one day at the guitar shop months and months ago I was plugged into a nice amp and Shocked it was like I was holding a different guitar!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 11:37 pm

yes my line 6 practice amp does wonders for me
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 1:49 am

anyone ever use a talkbox? I've always wanted to try one out.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 4:12 am

EvyMetal wrote:
anyone ever use a talkbox? I've always wanted to try one out.

i've messed with a friend of mines and i totally suck at it. They are very easy to use it just seems as though most of the sounds are coming from my voice then the guitar. They do produce an awesome sound though..
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 4:27 am

I've always wondered what it would sound like on bass.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:52 am

Hey Scott, one thing to try is practicing along with recorded music. it will help you to listen for beat, turnarounds, chord changes, etc...

My son practices Metallica licks that sound pretty decent until he actually puts on the cd and tries to play along. It's a whole 'nother ball game then. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks Tall T! That's great advice. And.....

Coincidently I just started doing that two days ago. I've got tab for about 2 dozen songs - some focusing on chords, some power chords and some other things - and I've made a playlist of those tunes. I then play them over and over and try to play along. You're SO right....by myself I sound decent (the parts I can play) but playing along????? Let's me know how far away I am.

About once a week I just want to smash my guitar and/or sell it but even then I just get pissed off and it makes me want to try even harder.

I love it!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 11:47 am

Cool! Good for you.

Of course, nothing gets you good quicker than playing in a band situation, but that's not always easy to put together. Playing with a cd is the next best thing, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For Guitarists Thread..
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next