Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For Guitarists Thread..

Go down 
+6
caniplaywithmadness?
TheGooch
Smindas
White_Mage
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
White_Mage wrote:

IMO I think leaning on electric is far better because acoustics don't play like electrics do and if ur a kid who wants to play rock/metal songs and maybe even start a band than an acoustic is going to do them much good. If your want to see them make a commitment then don't buy them an amp just the electric and tell them they'll get an amp when the can play a whole song that way they'll make a commitment to leanring and you don't have to hear those first few weeks of afwul playing cranked up on an amp. I also say avoid starter-pack guitars these things are often so cheaply made and the amp sounds so bad it'll discourage any kid from playing.

well thats just my two cents

The reason I did it that way is that I was told by a guitar player friend that more finger pressure was required on an acoustic than an electric, so if he learned on an acoustic, he would find it very easy to transition to an electric, but learning on an electric and trying to pick up an acoustic later would be more difficult to do.

Yeah that does make sense and It has probally made your son a much stronger player. although I learned on an electric and never found it to difficult to transfer to an acoustic but thats just my case. What I was saying was based on many times I've seen kids become discouraged when the got an acoustic instead of electric and gave up playing all-together or they get some crappy "made in china" guitar package and there playing sounds bad and the become discouraged becuase they don't sound like there heros or whatever it may be.

I was in no way trying to say that what you did was incorrect or wrong I was simply saying my thoughts on the guitar learning process. The point I'm trying to get across to is to listen to your kid if they want to learn an instrument and find out exactly what they want and they'll be thrilled if they get the guitar or bass or drumkit of there dreams and then 9 out of 10 times become commited to it and learn it to the best of there ablility

People often say its best to start on acoustic then move to electric but many guitar players will agree with me when I say it really dose'nt make a difference which ever you start learning on if your commited to playing and want to learn guitar thats what will make you a good guitar player
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 5:30 pm

I first learned on Electric guitar and i must say it is much easier to learn on an electric than an acoustic. I went through a drought where i had to sell al my guitars and played on just an acoustic and i became much more accurate with my scales and runs because they were so hard to perfect on the acoustic. Saying that when i went from the acoustic and finally got another electric my playing was so much better. Having the acoustic also broadened my playing styles as i learned a lot of classical stuff as well, and became one great finger picker in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 3:42 pm

An Overkill like riff i came up with. This is the Metal i like playing. Tell me what you think.

http://www.supload.com/music/Metal-Rob-Just-Metal-download-263CE0D7EJTM.html
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 pm

It's great!!

Got tabs? I love practicing your riffage. I have one I've titled Metalrob's Riff on two computers.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 4:42 pm

i can make you tabs for the song just PM me with an email and ill send you a file. O BTW thanx
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 4:47 pm

I dont think i ever posted this on here but its a lil southern rock type thing i made a while back

Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 pm

I just recently cut my middle finger on my fretting hand real bad so I'm off guitar playing for a little while. You don't realize how much you miss playing till you actully can't play. worst part is I'm playing a gig in a few weeks time so were hoping my finger heals up in time
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Yea man when i cant play with one finger i try to adapt and use my other ones. It's a good way to have more strength in a different finger then you are used to using..
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:47 pm

yea even with a bum finger i can still play but I dont like to play cause it can irratate the finger and I want it to heal as fast as possible

but ur right it does train ur other fingers
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:55 pm

im playing right now and my index finger's tip has some broken skin from playing so much and the skin is getting caught on the strings and its an eerie feeling..
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 pm

yea my hands have been taken some bad abuse latley first the index finger on my picking hand got a blister so it hurt to play then after that healed i burnt the area were i do all my palm muting now i have a big ol gash in my finger so its all wrapped up in bandages and I have to wait for that to heal

angry
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:24 pm

More Metal

http://www.supload.com/music/Metal-Rob-More-Metal-download-WBFCQRDW545M.html
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 am

http://www.supload.com/music/Metal-Rob-One-Step-Above-download-CT3J7I7G6L0P.html

need some feedback guys.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:13 am

So guys what solos do you want to learn, and what solos have you learned?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 am

I try not to learn solos "note for note", when I'm playing covers I'll pick out the melodic phrases in the solo and try to stay close to the mood of the original solo without copying exactly what the original player did.

I'm more a fan of strict improvisation, I never play the same solo twice, it all depends on the mood I'm in at the time.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:13 pm

detuned wrote:
I try not to learn solos "note for note", when I'm playing covers I'll pick out the melodic phrases in the solo and try to stay close to the mood of the original solo without copying exactly what the original player did.

I'm more a fan of strict improvisation, I never play the same solo twice, it all depends on the mood I'm in at the time.

BULLSEYE!! I say this to everyone, it is a waste of time to learn a solo note for note. There are some solos though that just flow easily and aren't very complicated that its really hard not to know note for note. Time by Floyd is one of these. If a solo is this good I will try to stick as close to the original as I can. I will not put countless practice time in though trying to learn a solo, it is IMO a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 9:26 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
detuned wrote:

BULLSEYE!! I say this to everyone, it is a waste of time to learn a solo note for note. There are some solos though that just flow easily and aren't very complicated that its really hard not to know note for note. Time by Floyd is one of these. If a solo is this good I will try to stick as close to the original as I can. I will not put countless practice time in though trying to learn a solo, it is IMO a waste of time.

yep, one needs to put their own twist on the song when playing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 am

I'm glad you guys are saying this. I've been frustrating myself endlesslyl trying to nail solos exactly.

Easy ones are...easy. But the harder ones....I'll just 'wing it'. Makes sense!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:01 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'm glad you guys are saying this. I've been frustrating myself endlesslyl trying to nail solos exactly.

Easy ones are...easy. But the harder ones....I'll just 'wing it'. Makes sense!!

Well, there is software out there that can assist with learning solos.

http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm

This program will allow you to slow a song WAY down without altering the pitch, to make it easier to learn solos by ear.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 pm

Sometimes we need to realize some solos are just out of our league. I always found it difficult to play someone elses solos. It is much easier to make your own up and improvise.

Scott if there is a run in the solo you cant do or struggling with just wing it like you said, its the best way and it helps your playing. The outro to the Boston song Long Time is one of my favs to wail away on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Guitarists Thread..   For Guitarists Thread.. - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For Guitarists Thread..
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6