Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One trick pony guitarists.

Go down 
+24
manny
akeldama
Ben Grimm
Mglaffas81
kmorg
powermacho
DallasBlack
mc666
7thSaviour
arttieTHE1manparty
Rex
metalinmyveins
plancha7
tohostudios
Getizzyback
metalhead777
Thrasher73
XYZ
SideShowDisaSter
Svengo
ultmetal
Stender
Schbopo
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

One trick pony guitarists. Empty
PostSubject: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Name at least one guitarist that bored the hell out of you.

Rick Rozz (Death) - His solos consisted of yanking his wammy bar the whole time. Laughing
James Murphy made a world of difference when Chuck hired him.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:24 pm

John Petrucci
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Eddie van halen

Let the hate come.....I'm ready xyz. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Schbopo wrote:
John Petrucci

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

Hardly. Rolling Eyes

Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

I think most of the distain for Eddie comes from the fact that after the first Van Halen album you heard nothing but guys ripping on his sound, and still do to this day. I think most people just grew sick of the sound being overexposed after a while.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Name at least one guitarist that bored the hell out of you.

Rick Rozz (Death) - His solos consisted of yanking his wammy bar the whole time. Laughing
James Murphy made a world of difference when Chuck hired him.

Dude couldn't solo for shyte, but he could write some chainsaw riffs!

The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
John Petrucci

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

Hardly. Rolling Eyes

In my opinion Eruption pretty much wraps up Eddie...I think there is a number of other guitarists could handle the songs by Van halen.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Quote :
Dude couldn't solo for shyte, but he could write some chainsaw riffs!

No denying that he could play decent rhythm guitar but the solos were pathetic.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Stender wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
John Petrucci

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

Hardly. Rolling Eyes

In my opinion Eruption pretty much wraps up Eddie...I think there is a number of other guitarists could handle the songs by Van halen.

Sorry, but this just reeks of historic ignorance. I am hardly the biggest Van Halen fan, nor am I one who thinks Eddie is the be-all-and-end-all of guitarist, but please tell me, who else was doing what Eddie Van Halen was doing in 1978? What other guitarist changed heavy metal into the next decade. After Eddie a million guitarists were trying to learn how to play "Eruption" and the tap-on style was suddenly everywhere.

And as far as Eruption "wrapping up" Eddie Van Halen, you've obviously not heard much Van Halen if that is your opinion. "Spanish Fly" anyone?

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 pm

I agree with Ult. There are many facets to Eddie's style, his rhythm playing is very distinct as well.

Petrucci, although I'm not a fan of the "music school" breed of guitar players, is far from being a one trick pony.

As for me, I'm not going to offer up any sacrificial lambs for this thread.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Quote :
As for me, I'm not going to offer up any sacrificial lambs for this thread.

Oh come on! You know you can't stand Bruce Franklin. Razz
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Mick Mars
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Stender wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
John Petrucci

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

Hardly. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, but this just reeks of historic ignorance. I am hardly the biggest Van Halen fan, nor am I one who thinks Eddie is the be-all-and-end-all of guitarist, but please tell me, who else was doing what Eddie Van Halen was doing in 1978? What other guitarist changed heavy metal into the next decade. After Eddie a million guitarists were trying to learn how to play "Eruption" and the tap-on style was suddenly everywhere.

And as far as Eruption "wrapping up" Eddie Van Halen, you've obviously not heard much Van Halen if that is your opinion. "Spanish Fly" anyone?

I'm not arguing his significance or his place in metal history, but just being innovative dosnt make you the best when loads of players can copy your style that easily down the road.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 pm

I don't think anyone has claimed Eddie was the best. I think they're saying (and I agree) that he is far from a one-trick pony. He was pretty versatile, to a certain degree.

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Mick Mars

He's only a half-trick pony.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Stender wrote:
Eddie van halen

SAY WHAT!?!?!?! lol!

Eddie was a HUGE blues fan. He considers Clapton to be is biggest influence. "When It's Love" has an awesome blues feel to it (that's about the only thing cool about it). Some shredders don't show emotion in their playing. Not Eddie. "Baluchitherium," the instrumental from Balance, is full of emotion. "316" is a great example of his finger-picking abilities and acoustic flare. "Finish What You Started," "Take Your Whiskey Home," and "The Full Bug" are all examples of Eddie getting his "boggy" on.

Eddie Van Halen is hardly a one trick pony.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Mick Mars

He was the first one I thought of too
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Quote :
I'm not arguing his significance or his place in metal history, but just being innovative dosnt make you the best when loads of players can copy your style that easily down the road.

Name a guitarist that can't be copied? Marino and Trower are almost better at doing Hendrix than Hendrix himself...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Name a guitarist that can't be copied? Trower even does Hendrix better than Hendrix...

Eh. Wrong. The Trower-Hendrix comparison is wildly overstated. Hendrix was an influence on Trower, but Robin has his own thing going. Only Hendrix could do Hendrix. Just like only Coltrane could do Coltrane.

You might be able to copy the superficial outer layer of another player, but there is no way to "exactly" copy anyone, the soul remains their own.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Quote :
Eh. Wrong. The Trower-Hendrix comparison is wildly overstated. Hendrix was an influence on Trower, but Robin has his own thing going. Only Hendrix could do Hendrix. Just like only Coltrane could do Coltrane.

You might be able to copy the superficial outer layer of another player, but there is no way to "exactly" copy anyone, the soul remains their own.

You missed the point... any guitarist can be imitated. whether they are as good as the originator is not the point. I know that Trower does his own thing and was influenced by Hendrix but when did i say he came before Hendrix?

And i said "almost better"...

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 pm

detuned wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Mick Mars

He's only a half-trick pony.

So you don't mind slaughtering that lamb?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:03 am

Troublezone wrote:
I know that Trower does his own thing and was influenced by Hendrix but when did i say he came before Hendrix?

Point one. What? When did "I" say anything about Trower coming before Hendrix?

Point two. You edited your initial post to say "almost better", I quoted your original post.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 am

detuned wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I know that Trower does his own thing and was influenced by Hendrix but when did i say he came before Hendrix?

Point one. What? When did "I" say anything about Trower coming before Hendrix?

Point two. You edited your initial post to say "almost better", I quoted your original post.

Wrong! Scroll back up and read my original post again. It has no edit! Your response to my original post said Tower was influenced by Hendrix which had nothing to do with what i was getting at. I was just saying that anyone can be imitided. The "almost better" part of my original post was overlooked.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:19 am

detuned, scroll 4 posts above your last response and reread it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:20 am

Man, I'm not going to argue...but I'm not a liar. This was your original post, which I copied in my initial response.

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I'm not arguing his significance or his
place in metal history, but just being innovative dosnt make you the
best when loads of players can copy your style that easily down the
road.

Name a guitarist that can't be copied? Trower even does Hendrix better than Hendrix...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One trick pony guitarists.   One trick pony guitarists. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One trick pony guitarists.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next