Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Metal Thoughts

Go down 
+37
bgsully
exact33
choosemetal
brokentulsa
stormspell
Olafsto
metalken
Citanul
Sword Of The Heretic
DallasBlack
assault_attack
Required Fields
glassprison
James B.
DakotaRogers
Hadley
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
the sentinel
MetallicSeminarian
Boris2008
chewie
akeldama
tohostudios
Eyesore
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
Runicen
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Faith No More had one good album: The Real Thing.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I do like Angel Dust but not as much as The Real Thing and I prefer the previous albums with Chuck to post Angel Dust albums. In fact Angel Dust is the last album I have from FMN.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Maybe one great album, but AD and KFAD are good albums too. But yeah, they are WAY overrated as is the "genius" and vocal ability of Mike "man child" Patton.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm

FNM was one of those bands that was a nice change of pace for a short time, but I quickly became disinterested in their sound and they were permanently filed into the "been there, done that, no need to revisit" pile.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 3:19 pm

My favorite FNM was 'Album Of The Year'...

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 3:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
FNM was one of those bands that was a nice change of pace for a short time, but I quickly became disinterested in their sound and they were permanently filed into the "been there, done that, no need to revisit" pile.  

I have the same feelings with Tool. I do have a FNM greatest hits album (the cheapie "Epic and other hits" one), and even though i do want to delve more into their work, that one works just fine for now.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Maybe one great album, but AD and KFAD are good albums too.  But yeah, they are WAY overrated as is the "genius" and vocal ability of Mike "man child" Patton.

Patton is a giant turd, but I do love The Real Thing and especially Angel Dust. I like their others, too, though I streamed the latest a few times and how people are calling it their best ever is beyond me. It sounds like boring, imitation Faith No More. Like Tomahawk.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Maybe one great album, but AD and KFAD are good albums too.  But yeah, they are WAY overrated as is the "genius" and vocal ability of Mike "man child" Patton.

Patton is a giant turd, but I do love The Real Thing and especially Angel Dust. I like their others, too, though I streamed the latest a few times and how people are calling it their best ever is beyond me. It sounds like boring, imitation Faith No More. Like Tomahawk.

They need a real guitarist.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Despite being a Tourniquet fanboy, Antiseptic Bloodbath has failed to grow on me. There are some tracks I like a lot, but it's down near the bottom of their albums for me.

Also, despite being a Bloodgood fanboy, I have found Dangerously Close to be a disappointment. The band sounds great but there's only 1 or 2 tracks that are at or near the level of quality of their classics. I gave it another listen recently and I still feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Hadley wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I have the same feelings with Tool. I do have a FNM greatest hits album (the cheapie "Epic and other hits" one), and even though i do want to delve more into their work, that one works just fine for now.

Tool has one album that I really like and that's Aenima.  I like about 75% of that one but other than that they either bore me to tears or are just too weird.

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 6:28 pm

I like the first few Tool releases but haven't listened to any of their stuff since the 90s, I sold all their stuff during "the great rock & metal CD purge of 1997", most of which I've never bothered to replace.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 6:44 pm

I can't stand Pantera and feel they're one of the worst metal bands ever.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Pantera, although I still call myself a fan, is probably the band I have lost the most interest in over the last decade. I still listen to their music every now and again, but I have zero interest in any of the surviving members bands after Pantera. It just doesn't sit well with me how they completely ignore their first 4 albums; especially since the debut was on their own label and produced by the father. I guess b/c they went from playing heavy metal to "heavier" metal they get a pass, but if it were reversed they would be called sellouts and get the poop flung at them like Metallica. Add to the mix the fact that I can't stomach Anselmo at all anymore and that's pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 9:59 pm

This isn't directed at the previous two posts specifically, but just on the subject of Pantera generally.

Pantera was one of, if not the most, influential metal bands in the last 25 years.  I like all of their material, but their pre-Atco albums were derivative of popular bands and they didn't come into their own sound until Cowboys.  Nobody sounded at all like them at the time (not even Exhorder) and everybody wanted to sound like them post-1992, but nobody ever managed to replicate them.  They changed the game completely.  I loved them in 1990 and I love them now.  Dime had his own unique and totally gonzo sound.  Phil's lyrics were thought provoking and in no way cheesy.  Rex and Vinnie could lock into a groove like no other band, and they used that ZZ-Top, Texas shuffle to great effect.  They were also proud to be a metal band when the majority of their peers couldn't flee the term metal fast enough.  That meant a lot to fans that felt completely abandoned by the popular music scene.  It might seem dumb now, but it wasn't in '94.    

It has become trendy to bag on them now, but the reasons giving for hating Pantera are usually utter nonsense.  I don't care if you don't like them, but acknowledge what they did.  I hate Rush, but I understand that they are insanely talented, they just don't appeal to my tastes.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm not denying their influence, nor am I denying their talent. I do not care for their music, nor, frankly, do I think it's any good. Obviously this is my opinion, which I assume to be quite clear in the context of this thread.

I certainly don't follow what's popular when it comes to liking or disliking music, as should be clear from things I've posted in any number of threads.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:06 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I'm not denying their influence, nor am I denying their talent. I do not care for their music, nor, frankly, do I think it's any good. Obviously this is my opinion, which I assume to be quite clear in the context of this thread.

I certainly don't follow what's popular when it comes to liking or disliking music, as should be clear from things I've posted in any number of threads.

Sure. Feel free not to like them. It's all subjective.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Sure.  Feel free not to like them.  It's all subjective.  
Yep. Just like my love for Rush.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I've tried to like Rush on so many occasions and I can't get past Geddy's vocals.  This of course makes no sense because I like King Diamond and Cirith Ungol!  Ah well, such is life.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I've tried to like Rush on so many occasions and I can't get past Geddy's vocals.  This of course makes no sense because I like King Diamond and Cirith Ungol!  Ah well, such is life.
I pretty much like Geddy from about Permament Waves on when his voice lowered below dog-whistle range  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:18 pm

To continue the random thoughts, I recently discovered the greatest of Vicious Rumors through their self-titled. I'm thinking I'll pick up Welcome to the Ball next.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Is it really trendy to bag on them? I am asking honestly and not in a smart ass way, I really didn't think it was. In fact, that's why I wrote what I wrote. I definitely do acknowledge their contributions and holding the flag high in a time when it wasn't popular to do so. Cowboys through Driven ruled my world for nearly a decade. I should have clarified more in my previous post that if I were them I would have been trumpeting the fact that I have been here all along and go back to the early eighties and wear my influences proudly on my sleeve as an homage to my faves and persevered through line up changes to reach my goal. This is what baffles me.

In college back in 1992 I went to breakfast in the cafeteria and one of the girls working there saw my Pantera shirt and we struck a conversation. I thought she was messing with me when she told me that CFH was not their first album. I didn't believe her until she brought her albums in from home and then dubbed me copies. I loved it. It was more awesome music from one of my faves.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Every time I see one of those Original Album Classics 5 Disc sets it's an artist I already own everything from.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
This isn't directed at the previous two posts specifically, but just on the subject of Pantera generally.

Pantera was one of, if not the most, influential metal bands in the last 25 years.  I like all of their material, but their pre-Atco albums were derivative of popular bands and they didn't come into their own sound until Cowboys.  Nobody sounded at all like them at the time (not even Exhorder) and everybody wanted to sound like them post-1992, but nobody ever managed to replicate them.  They changed the game completely.  I loved them in 1990 and I love them now.  Dime had his own unique and totally gonzo sound.  Phil's lyrics were thought provoking and in no way cheesy.  Rex and Vinnie could lock into a groove like no other band, and they used that ZZ-Top, Texas shuffle to great effect.  They were also proud to be a metal band when the majority of their peers couldn't flee the term metal fast enough.  That meant a lot to fans that felt completely abandoned by the popular music scene.  It might seem dumb now, but it wasn't in '94.    

It has become trendy to bag on them now, but the reasons giving for hating Pantera are usually utter nonsense.  I don't care if you don't like them, but acknowledge what they did.  I hate Rush, but I understand that they are insanely talented, they just don't appeal to my tastes.

Well said. Totally agree.

But I would still love to see those first four albums re-released. Derivative? Yes. Mostly the first three. But they are, in my opinion, still great albums. Really good to great, I should say.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I was the same way for the longest time. Last year I just went out and bought a bunch of their albums and kind of force fed them to myself. The more and more I listened, the less annoying Geddy's vocals became. I'm no super-fan or anything, but I can at least listen to them now without cringing every time Lee opens his mouth. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Well said. Totally agree.

But I would still love to see those first four albums re-released. Derivative? Yes. Mostly the first three. But they are, in my opinion, still great albums. Really good to great, I should say.

I am a huge fan of Power Metal and I really like the other three. I would definitely buy official reissues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Metal Thoughts   Random Metal Thoughts - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Metal Thoughts
Page 7 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next