Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced

Go down 
+31
Thrasher73
nevermore
thejokeriv
glassprison
metalinmyveins
manny
corplhicks
Vexer6
Eyesore
ultmetal
James B.
Thelemech
Boris2008
DakotaRogers
MetalGuy71
Wrecked Neck
John Madden
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Troublezone
ZombieHavoc
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
choosemetal
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
muckie
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I'll just get a used copy. I know there is bound to be a bunch of them soon and I don't feel like paying full price.

right. I might do the same.

I thought you weren't buying it because of the cover?

They have changed it for gilbert......

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Slayer-Repentless-Parody-620x620
lol!

not funny... Sad
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Listening to it right now...

...in complete shock n awe. It's farrrrr from boring or underwhelming. It's fuckin Slayer, fools.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 1:22 pm

They must have released those 5-6 shitty songs just to throw us off.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Just got done. This is another rare instance where every song has equal weight, making for a fulfilling experience. My favorite might be Piano Wire, but it'll take a couple more spins could change that. I do love When the Stillness Comes, it sounds fresh off of South of Heaven.

And the practiced economy here is ideal. 41m is the perfect length for a record like this.

For certain this has made my top 10 for 2015.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 3:19 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
They must have released those 5-6 shitty songs just to throw us off.

I liked every song they released prior to the album except Implode.

Cast The First Stone and When The Stillness Comes are both killer, as mentioned earlier there's a definite slow & heavy South Of Heaven vibe on those tracks and that is a-okay with me.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 am

Yeah South of Heaven is my favorite album of theirs so it's fine and dandy with me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 1:34 am

Okay, here's my overall thoughts on the record.  

I really like the first half.  I dig the instrumental intro, it actually improves the song Repentless to have this tune set it up.  That's the key I think to this first side, I like the sequencing, it flows together nicely and I think the tracks are strong.  I mentioned Take Control earlier and it's one of my favorites.  Vices is good as well and I already mention liking the pairing of Cast The First Stone (my other favorite) and When The Stillness Comes.  Yes, they could have stretched out Stillness a little more, maybe added a guitar solo or something, but it's short and to the point and these days the brevity is kind of welcome.  

The second half is a little more problematic. Chasing Death is okay, inoffensive, I don't feel the urge to skip it but it doesn't really make an impact.  Still not crazy about Implode and it just doesn't sound like it fits with the rest of the album.  Piano Wire just doesn't work for me, it's just too disjointed and sounds unfinished (unsurprisingly since it wasn't), the opening riff is just variation on the Hell Awaits intro and I just don't think the rest is that interesting, should have probably remained on the shelf. Atrocity Vendor picks things back up nicely, it sounds like a throwback to Reign In Blood, it's your typical KK junior high school sociopath lyrics but eh, it's Slayer, I just ignore it.  It's got good energy though, just a typical Slayer thrasher.  

The last two tracks I really like.  You Against You starts kinda punky (not the only place on this album with that vibe) and then turns into a full-bore thrash tune with lots of spirited guitar solos from Holt and King.  This one made me remember thrashing around the living room listening to Reign In Blood when I was 16.  Pride And Prejudice is a slower, heavier number (nice to have a few of those on this record) which is a little bit of an album-ending change of pace for Slayer.  It's also the only song on the album that Araya wrote the lyrics for.  

Overall?  It's Slayer.  It's good, a solid 3 star effort.  It's not essential by any means but it's quite an entertaining album and not nearly the disaster people were expecting because King wrote everything.  I think for the most part he stepped up admirably.

P.S. - Yes, the album title is still dumb.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 11:41 am

I'm finally giving this a listen here at work. I think it sounds really good. Sounds like Slayer, which is all that I could really ask for.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 pm

I listened to it twice today, and I'm very happy with it. The short length makes it a relatively easy listen and I didn't get bored with it despite the fact that they are sticking to the formula that everyone expects.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 8:47 pm

The music may be stale, but when it comes to offending morons, Kerry is still King.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 pm

I used to purposely put on Hell Awaits when Jehovah Witnesses would come to the door in the 80s. It was always very amusing to see the reaction...once they got to the door, heard the music inside and turned around and practically RAN back to the car. Evil Seed

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
I used to purposely put on Hell Awaits when Jehovah Witnesses would come to the door in the 80s.  It was always very amusing to see the reaction...once they got to the door, heard the music inside and turned around and practically RAN back to the car.  Evil Seed

are these guys still around? Haven't seen any jehova witnesses in years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Gilbert wrote:

are these guys still around? Haven't seen any jehova witnesses in years.

I just had a couple stop by my apartment about 2 weeks ago. That is the first time in at least a decade though. I still occasionally see people handing out The Watchtower on the street and sometimes they'll set up little booths at events, but fairly low profile.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 pm

The album debuted at #4 on Billboard. This is Slayer's highest debut ever. Way to go, Slayer! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 pm

I just gave this a good listen and I must say that it is quite good, not the snorefest I was anticipating.
Sounds like Slayer to me.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 am

I really like this album. If I had one complaint, it's that I think the intro track should have been part of "Repentless." Sure, it works fine as an intro, but it's much more effective with "Repentless."

When I ripped the album, I combined the two.

Of course, this probably doesn't bother most people, but I tend to shuffle my music rather than listen to full albums.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:

When I ripped the album, I combined the two.

Of course, this probably doesn't bother most people, but I tend to shuffle my music rather than listen to full albums.

So do I. It`s one thing with Slayer, But Ayreon is a nightmare to shuffle.. lol!

Still havent ordered the new Slayer but i like what i have heard so far...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 7:48 am

I'm going to get blasted for this, but I found Repentless to be mediocre and too much groove. I also don't like the weird tepid production. Atrocity Vendor and the title track are my favorites. It just sounds too "modern" for me....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9