Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced

Go down 
+31
Thrasher73
nevermore
thejokeriv
glassprison
metalinmyveins
manny
corplhicks
Vexer6
Eyesore
ultmetal
James B.
Thelemech
Boris2008
DakotaRogers
MetalGuy71
Wrecked Neck
John Madden
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Troublezone
ZombieHavoc
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
choosemetal
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
muckie
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Sleep my response to the new Slayer song
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 pm

I like it. Sounds like Slayer to me.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

It's fine. I've listened to it three times now. It doesn't blow me away, but it's good.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:14 am

The new Slayer song was decent. Really liked the guitar solo.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 am

Does it seem weird that the new track is available for free from ... "Adult Swim," the Cartoon Network's grown-up overnight block of animation for stoners?  Is that Slayer's target audience now?? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:49 am

I am very disappointed by the cover art. Will not buy the album because of it.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 am

Gilbert wrote:

I think you already mentioned that a few pages ago. Very Happy

...were you expecting rainbows, unicorns and bunny rabbits? C'mon, it's Slayer for cryin' out loud.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I think you already mentioned that a few pages ago. Very Happy

...were you expecting rainbows, unicorns and bunny rabbits? C'mon, it's Slayer for cryin' out loud.

angry  Slayer's cover art has been pretty consistent over the years. This really isn't a surprise.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 pm

I would have hoped for a "less evil" cover or one that does not have any obvious religious connotation. Reminds me a lot of Christ illusion which I also did not pick up for the same reason.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:02 am

Gilbert wrote:
I would have hoped for a "less evil" cover or one that does not have any obvious religious connotation. Reminds me a lot of Christ illusion which I also did not pick up for the same reason.

surprised

A less evil Slayer cover? With no religious connotations? Gilbert, you do know who Slayer is right?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

surprised

A less evil Slayer cover? With no religious connotations? Gilbert, you do know who Slayer is right?

I would never go for an album containing a disfigurement of Christ. This is it. I do not mind cover arts like on seasons in the abyss, south of heaven and divine intervention. But this is too obvious imo.
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Does it seem weird that the new track is available for free from ... "Adult Swim," the Cartoon Network's grown-up overnight block of animation for stoners?  Is that Slayer's target audience now?? Very Happy

The VP of marketing at Adult Swim (Jason DeMarco) is behind it. He's a big music guy, use to run their record label (believe it or not, they had an actual record label) and has worked on music videos for Skeletonwitch, Absu and Mastodon.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/638386513189974016
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/638386832280035328
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 8:10 pm

From what I've heard so far, this album sounds a bit lackluster. Someone even mentioned how the mix sucks. Which is odd, because Terry Date is known for great recordings! It just goes to show how much Jeff was important to the bands creative input.

I may still buy a used copy or get it on sale just to hear Gary's solos and check out the one or two songs Jeff was involved with.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

surprised

I would never go for an album containing a disfigurement of Christ. This is it. I do not mind cover arts like on seasons in the abyss, south of heaven and divine intervention. But this is too obvious imo.

This kills me!  I've never bothered with Slayer at all because I know their schtick; Christianity sucks, mock Christ, etc.  But they've been consistent with that motif.  Why would the proverbial light bulb just now go off because they've given an artistic face to the same crap they've been spewing for decades?  is it somehow more offensive to see the concepts graphically depicted than to draw them in your mind based on the lyrics?  That makes no sense to me.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

surprised

This kills me!  I've never bothered with Slayer at all because I know their schtick; Christianity sucks, mock Christ, etc.  But they've been consistent with that motif.  Why would the proverbial light bulb just now go off because they've given an artistic face to the same crap they've been spewing for decades?  is it somehow more offensive to see the concepts graphically depicted than to draw them in your mind based on the lyrics?  That makes no sense to me.

I am not trying to pile on Gilbert at all; but I am in 100% agreement with toho. Whether it's their true feelings at heart or if it's an act, they have always been this way. They certainly aren't going to change after 30+ years of existence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 1:45 am

Troublezone wrote:
From what I've heard so far, this album sounds a bit lackluster. Someone even mentioned how the mix sucks. Which is odd, because Terry Date is known for great recordings! It just goes to show how much Jeff was important to the bands creative input.

I'm not going to judge an entire album off a couple tunes.  I'm willing to give the album the benefit of the doubt, I want to hear it in sequence and see how it impacts me as a whole.  

Based on Cast The First Stone I would say the production sound is an improvement over the last several records.  The drum sound is good, sounds like it was recorded in a large room with minimal dampening.  I think the guitars could be just a little louder.  The bass is almost inaudible (as tends to be the norm with Slayer).  Sounds like it's going to be a dark, heavy record.  The tune isn't super exciting, but it's heavy and sounds like Slayer.  I dig Gary's solo and while I'm not usually a big fan of Bostaph I think he has some interesting ideas on this tune.  The track is a solid B.

As for the Hanneman thing, yeah I get that, he wrote or co-wrote most of my favorite Slayer songs and he collaborated well with Tom.  He was the main creative spark, but Kerry has some good tunes under his belt as well and again, benefit of the doubt, I'm going to wait to hear it all.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 3:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I'm not going to judge an entire album off a couple tunes.

At this point I pretty much am going to. I've listened to "Implode" and "Repentless" a couple times and I just do not see the point. This might be the first Slayer album that I do not even give at least one complete spin. The last 3, while I didn't buy them, I at least borrowed my brother's copies to hear.

It's okay though...I'll be on the other end of the stick when/if Metallica builds an album around "Lords of Summer". People often put that song down, but it's one of my favorite metal songs to come out this millennium and am stoked for a hopeful eventual album (and I'm not a Metallica apologist...Load and Re-Load get the gasface--I do intend to revisit St. Anger one day though properly and see if I like any of it).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 3:17 pm

For whatever reason I still like Slayer. Even after Jeff's passing, Dave leaving...I'm still looking forward to having another Slayer album to listen to. The only new song I haven't liked is "Implode", the others I'm fine with, none of it groundbreaking but it's Slayer.

No idea why, I'm really not interested in Metallica, Anthrax or Megadeth any longer and haven't been for years.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 pm

I thought the production sounds great. Even though I liked the production on WPB this sounds much better to me, especially the guitar tone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm

It's the "meatiest" sounding Slayer production in quite a while. The last few albums have been a little thinner and edgier sounding (and God Hates Us All was just grating and annoying).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 8:32 pm

That was a cool experience hearing that cranked up in an empty house. Yeah, I like it a lot.

The mix is quite good. I mean, c'mon fans of Hell Awaits. Really? You're gonna complain about a shoddy mix?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 8:43 pm

I actually kind of like the sound of Hell Awaits, it's cheap as hell, but it's interesting cheap. The drums are wild on that record.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 8:46 pm

S.D. wrote:
I actually kind of like the sound of Hell Awaits, it's cheap as hell, but it's interesting cheap.  The drums are wild on that record.  

It's never appealed to me but it sure gets my respect. That is one chaotic and threatening mix. Unlike anything I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 7:08 am

For me personally, Seasons In the Abyss is the perfect Slayer album. I always point to it as an example of a great thrash recording! WPB isn't bad either... I just think Slayer sounds best when the guitars cut through in the mix with a tight, crisp treble tone and the low end is in the middle. I am not a fan of the super thick seven string and loud bass productions.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 8:04 am

S.D. wrote:
I actually kind of like the sound of Hell Awaits, it's cheap as hell, but it's interesting cheap.  The drums are wild on that record.  

I like it quite a bit as well, though I also don't mind "Fly On the Wall" (also from '85) , which would also probably put me in the minority.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next