Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced

Go down 
+31
Thrasher73
nevermore
thejokeriv
glassprison
metalinmyveins
manny
corplhicks
Vexer6
Eyesore
ultmetal
James B.
Thelemech
Boris2008
DakotaRogers
MetalGuy71
Wrecked Neck
John Madden
MoonChild
Gilbert
MetallicSeminarian
Troublezone
ZombieHavoc
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
choosemetal
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
muckie
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 1:24 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Anyone offended by that cover should never have been listening to Slayer in the first place.

That's what I'm thinking. To be offended by the cover art but not by the lyrical content of their entire discography is inane. To top it off, actually COLLECTING Slayer but passing this up because it is offensive, yet no more offensive than anything else we've seen from them...well that's just preposterous.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Now's about the time we need MC666 to come in and show us a truly offensive cover. Razz

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm just more offended by how bland that cover looks. They must really hate Jesus enough to make him look like a potato. How edgy.

Also, the Show No Mercy cover is great stuff. That is way more menacing to the eye than most of their other records.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Intervention and Hell Awaits were some scary shit when I was a kid. And I'll never forget that photo of the kid's arm sliced up in the form of their logo. Eesh.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Here's some trivia for you - the Hell Awaits artwork was a piece of plagiarism:

http://bangyourheadorillripitoff.blogspot.com/2011/02/origins-of-slayer-hell-awaits-lp-cover.html
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

http://bangyourheadorillripitoff.blogspot.com/2011/02/origins-of-slayer-hell-awaits-lp-cover.html
Interesting. I recall Iron Angel's Hellish Crossfire and Cirith Ungol's albums being the same way.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Interesting. I recall Iron Angel's Hellish Crossfire and Cirith Ungol's albums being the same way.

Cirith Ungol?  Michael Whelan is the artist for their albums and he provided all the original art.  
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Yeah, that's true. I almost forgot that. The Iron Angel example still stands.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Yeah, that's true. I almost forgot that. The Iron Angel example still stands.

There are a couple of good threads over at the Nuclear War Now! forum about stolen art on metal albums.  There's tons of examples.

Edit:

Here are two great posts that examine stolen artwork on metal albums:

http://dennisdread.blogspot.com/2011/05/occult-roots-of-metal-iconography_896.html

http://dennisdread.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-occult-roots-of-metal-iconography.html
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm not offended by the art, but then again, I don't have a relationship with Christ. For myself, it's par for the course with Slayer. Having said that, it's easy to slag on Christianity in this country. Nobody is going to try and lop your head off. If the band (cough cough I mean Kerry) are equal opportunists in their disdain for organized religion and in particular that which is Christianity, then why not tread down another avenue? Starting with Islam. Even though it's conjecture on my part, I'm guessing Kerry would be the type of guy that has strong feelings about that religion. If they really had some stones, they would have Mohammad on their cover. I know this would never happen, because Christianity is such an easy target and they would need an army to protect the band every night on stage. At this point in their career, that album cover is SAFE, because everyone expects it from them.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 6:35 pm

You said it very well metalinmyveins.

Somehow I don't think Kerry is that tough to bash Islam in a Muslim country.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 3:51 am

Kerry has been treading the same tired path (lyrically) forever... Even if a Muslim punched him in the face, he would still be too afraid to write a song against them. He likes to play it safe.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:23 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I'm not offended by the art, but then again, I don't have a relationship with Christ. For myself, it's par for the course with Slayer. Having said that, it's easy to slag on Christianity in this country. Nobody is going to try and lop your head off. If the band (cough cough I mean Kerry) are equal opportunists in their disdain for organized religion and in particular that which is Christianity, then why not tread down another avenue? Starting with Islam. Even though it's conjecture on my part, I'm guessing Kerry would be the type of guy that has strong feelings about that religion. If they really had some stones, they would have Mohammad on their cover. I know this would never happen, because Christianity is such an easy target and they would need an army to protect the band every night on stage. At this point in their career, that album cover is SAFE, because everyone expects it from them.

Christianity is also the main religion in this country. It's the country Slayer is from. It's the religion they have had the most exposure to and, consequently, have more disdain for. It's still a very prevalent force in the country, so that's where their ire is aimed. You can hate religion as a whole while still focusing on the one you've had the most exposure to.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 9:58 am

This Natas Kaupas deck always evoked the Hell Awaits cover. People were mad at these graphics too in the early 90s.

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 101_natas_devilworship1991
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:15 am

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:19 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Yep, that's Slayer. For whatever that means to someone.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Yep, that's Slayer. For whatever that means to someone.

I think it sounds great!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 10:53 am

That sounds good to my ears. I don't see how anyone who's into Slayer could not like it. It sounds like Slayer.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 11:30 am

I hope that is representative of the quality of the album overall. Sounds great!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 pm

What is a "Visualizer Video?" Weird.

I like the song.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
What is a "Visualizer Video?"  Weird.

I like the song.  

A cool new way to say "lyric video."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Unsurprisingly, it sounds like Slayer. It's hard to tell from a stream but the production sounds like a notch up from the usual, I think Terry Date in the producer chair after 30 years of Rubin might have helped in that area.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Terry Date is one of the best producers in the biz. Getting him was a very wise choice and appears to have paid off.

I think MAIDEN would sound better with him as producer too. Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 pm

S.D. and ToB agree. I better go keep watch for deadly plagues and the like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 pm

It happens a couple times every few years. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced   Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer - "Repentless" new album release announced
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next