Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new Nightwish (October 2nd)

Go down 
+9
Todd Jaymz
Smindas
DallasBlack
stormspell
nevermore
TheGooch
iamrockerfun
mc666
kmorg
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 12:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
i think the new singer is more identifiable & blows the old singer out of the water. just my opinion.

i don't go to shows either.
Really? Why is that? I've heard a few people say this. Is it personal taste? I can't imagine anyone truly thinking Tarja is a worse singer.
yeah it's my personal taste of their individual styles & sounds. i wouldn't say Tarja is "worse", she was great, i just really prefer this new singer. she's more traditional sounding to my ears.

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 12:55 am

blackieboy wrote:
NICE! I want that one!
I can't wait to hear the 12 year old emo chicks recording their own versions and posting them on YouTube! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 12:57 am

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
i think the new singer is more identifiable & blows the old singer out of the water. just my opinion.

i don't go to shows either.
Really? Why is that? I've heard a few people say this. Is it personal taste? I can't imagine anyone truly thinking Tarja is a worse singer.
yeah it's my personal taste of their individual styles & sounds. i wouldn't say Tarja is "worse", she was great, i just really prefer this new singer. she's more traditional sounding to my ears.
Absolutely. Tarja was different, Annette is not. I was hoping the rumor about Vibeke from Tristania was true. I also wished Floor Jansen would have been announced as the singer. That would have been awesome.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 1:07 am

Eyesore wrote:
Tarja was different, Annette is not.
Annette is "different" than Tarja, is she not? nevertheless, different doesn't always equal better to me. in the end, both are capable singers & it comes down to which style you prefer. we are obviously on opposite ends. you still have 5 albums worth of Tarja Nightwish to enjoy.

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 1:10 am

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Tarja was different, Annette is not.
Annette is "different" than Tarja, is she not? nevertheless, different doesn't always equal better to me. in the end, both are capable singers & it comes down to which style you prefer. we are obviously on opposite ends. you still have 5 albums worth of Tarja Nightwish to enjoy.
Well, yes, but I meant Tarja has a unique voice, while Annette has more typical voice, like Tanja from Lullacry. I'm not complaining, bro. I loved Nightwish with Tarja, and this new album sounds killer with Annette. The voiceovers have kept me from listening much, but it's seems killer, so it should only get better. There's some really heavy tunes on this one, and I still think adding Marco to the band was a killer move by Tuomas. His voice is also very unique, and he sounds awesome!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 5:10 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mediocre opera singer? I don't know, bro. Have you heard her solo EPs?

I have her Christmas album.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 8:56 am

I'm a huge fan of Tarja but I like the music of Nightwish even more so I will most definitly purchase it. Unfortunatly I'm on a spending freeze for about a month so I may have to wait, unless some of the CDs I'm about to sell get me enough store credit to have it ordered Sad .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 6:13 pm

New (really weird) video:

BYE BYE BEAUTIFUL

Killer song, though! And Annette is definitely more of a frontwoman than Tarja, who mostly just did that weird thing with her hands. This song is supposed to be about Tarja, what do you think the girls signify? That they should have all been equal?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 6:41 pm

That video was... strange. Great song though, and I'm really like the new singer. Her voice seems to make Nightwish seem a bit more like a straightforward hard-rock band in some ways, but it works well. And yes, I agree with Eyesore, she's a better frontwoman for sure.

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 pm

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!

I think this album might be my pick of the year ... I'll wait to judge though ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Pretty ruthless lyrics on this one. Here's the chorus:

Did you ever hear what I told you?
Did you ever read what I wrote you?
Did you ever listen to what we played?
Did you ever let in what the world said?
Did we get this far just to feel your hate?
Did we play to become only pawns in the game?
How blind can you be, don’t you see?
You chose the long road, but we’ll be waiting

Bye bye, beautiful
Die die, beautiful

Exclamation
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 10:44 pm

If I didn't know better I'd say they are still bitter about Tarja. Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 10:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
If I didn't know better I'd say they are still bitter about Tarja. Suspect
You know, I just think the band was really hurt by her. I mean, they essentially made her this famous metal chick, though she has no metal background at all. There are always two sides to every story, but I honestly believe the band in this instance. I mean, I think Tarja just went diva on them, and the band felt alienated. There's obviously more to the story, and I think it runs far deeper than even that open letter detailed.

There are a lot of spats between musicians, we see them all the time, but this one between Nightwish and Tarja really doesn't seem petty. Tuomas and the band genuinely seem to have been hurt by Tarja's actions. And I think they're true, as she never once denied the accusations, she simply deflected them all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 11:26 pm

I remember reading that letter in shock. At first I thought they were being harsh on her - but after a year - I'm beginning to see that what they said must be true.

I still love Tarja and will be getting her solo stuff, but it does appear the band was quite hurt.

I think one thing about Annette is that she seems to be a polar opposite of Tarja. I read the initial interview with Annette when she first was declared as the new singer and one thing in particular stood out to me (besides the fact that she is a major ABBA fan which I think rocks) ... was that she answered a particular question ... it was something like this (don't quote me on this, but this is the jist of it, perhaps someone here has a copy of the interview, or maybe it's still at their site ... anyway)

Q: "What kind of people do you like to hang with"

A: "People who do not think too highly of themselves"

When she said this - something struck me. It was pretty much the exact opposite of Tarja. From what I gather (from interviews and such), Tarja is a pretty prideful person. She thinks she's the greatest gift to the world.

Annette seems totally humble. I think they were looking for more than just a good singer. They were looking for someone with the attitude Annette seems to have.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 11:48 pm

I feel more strongly that Nightwish is in the right in this situation but since we will never really know what happened I choose to forget it and move on. As I said in a previous thread, I love the voice of Tarja but I love the music of Nighwish even more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:20 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I feel more strongly that Nightwish is in the right in this situation but since we will never really know what happened I choose to forget it and move on. As I said in a previous thread, I love the voice of Tarja but I love the music of Nighwish even more.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well!

Well said.

new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:11 am

i don't care about all of the drama that happened.. it means nothing to me. i just know i like this new album better than all of the others & the new singer is the reason. it sounds less pompous to me, than their previous works. even though they were good too.

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 2:50 pm

Man, this album is a beast! I've heard it a few times, but with downloads I don't listen much anyway, even less so when there are voiceovers. And when there are voiceovers I never really crank it. Well, I knew this was a good album, but holy crap, it's really frickin' good! Epic is an understatement! Haha. Initially I thought this was much like Once, and it is for the most part, but with a real orchestra on this album you simply hear and feel the difference. Tuomas' love for epic soundtrack work shines, and for that I can understand why some fans may not dig it.

Like Helloween on their last album, Nightwish start this one with a near 14-minute masterpiece! I mean, I had this song blazin' on the way to work and it's just one of those tunes that is so badass you get goose bumps and your eyes tear up! It's so killer! And Annette has really impressed me here. I knew she had a good voice, but when you give the album a proper listen you realize that she's really an outstanding vocalist. Definitely not original, but extremely good, and she does Nightwish justice.

There are some lighter moments that sound more poppy with Annette singing than they would have with Tarja singing ("For The Heart I Once Had," for example), but overall it's not an issue. Marco sounds awesome, as usual. And on "The Poet And The Pendulum" he sings heavier than I've ever heard him sing before. I was pretty surprised he got that heavy.

There are even two songs solely written by Emmpu and Marco, "Whoever Brings The Night" and "The Islander," respectively. Usually it's all Tuomas. The songs fit, too. I'm interested in seeing how this pans out on future albums.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts after two true listens. I predict this one to be very high on my Best of 2007 list! 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Great now it's going to be even harder for me to wait for it! Thanks A Lot!!!! just kidding
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 3:18 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Great now it's going to be even harder for me to wait for it! Thanks A Lot!!!! just kidding
Wait? It's out today. GO!! lol!

I should also mention the greatness of "Meadows Of Heaven." It's a slow song, but wait until you hear the end where the other singers come in. They're no one famous, just members of the choirs that worked on the album doing solo parts, but when it all comes together...wow!

A lot of people are going to not like the direction of this album, but the more I think about it, the more I listen, and as much as I love their previous work, this may very well be Nightwish's finest hour.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Wait? It's out today. GO!! lol!

I should also mention the greatness of "Meadows Of Heaven." It's a slow song, but wait until you hear the end where the other singers come in. They're no one famous, just members of the choirs that worked on the album doing solo parts, but when it all comes together...wow!

A lot of people are going to not like the direction of this album, but the more I think about it, the more I listen, and as much as I love their previous work, this may very well be Nightwish's finest hour.

As stated in previous threads, I am on a spending freeze due to a tight budget and high credit card debt. It will at least be another two weeks before I'm stable enough to buy more music. Believe me if there was a way I could in good consience buy another album, I would. Unfortunatly years of buying things left and right with credit cards (not to mention an acute gambling problem) has finally caught up with me. Now, if I can sell enough books, CDs, and DVDs I might be able to get it sooner (that and I get paid on Thursday). As it is I only have $60 every two weeks of which to spend on non-neccessary items which means I HAVE to be very careful how I use my money until I can control my spending.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Word.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 pm

i cant wait to get this the new singer sounds great
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 7:32 pm

I line the new album alot, have you peeps listened to track 5 Master Passion Last Breath?? I don't remember the band playing anything like this song before, I could be wrong.-TJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 9:27 pm

"Master Passion Greed," you mean. It's probably got the fastest parts Nightwish have ever recorded, yeah. Definitely one of their heaviest songs to date, if not the heaviest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new Nightwish (October 2nd)
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next