Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new Nightwish (October 2nd)

Go down 
+9
Todd Jaymz
Smindas
DallasBlack
stormspell
nevermore
TheGooch
iamrockerfun
mc666
kmorg
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 5:15 pm

i just saw the thread on that actually and no i havent. i have herd of them though apparently in the within temptation theme with death vocals or summat

on another note i have eben got the rest of my family listening to the new nightwish album my dad, mum and sister. the sister woke me up while she did her hair by playing amaranth too louldy on her phone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 pm

🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 8:34 pm

blackieboy wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
wow i got this album sooner than i thought as it came out sooner than i thought lol!

probably will be my album of the year cos it is actually amazingly amazingly good. i must admit though i kinda gotta thing for annetes voice cos its so good

I've got a thing for Anette's voice too. (see avatar). I'm falling in love ...

lol!

I must admit that I am starting to join you guys on that one. This is partly due to TheGooch's avatar. When I saw some of her pictures she looked alright but nothing breath taking IMO (i.e. Tarja) but that avatar with her smilling has changed my mind. I guess she is just one of those women who are much prettier when they smile. As for her voice, the Anneke van Giersbergen comparisson says it all about me. Anneke's voice is extremely enchanting as is Anette's and that is why the latter reminds me of the former. As far as beautiful female voices go I'd tie her with Anneke behind Tarja and Liv Kristine (furter Nightwish albums with her could very well put her past Anneke and tie with Liv). Keep in mind this is just my opinion. Either one of those voices I mentioned could make me "melt like butta"!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 12:46 am

Yeah, Liv Kristine is one of my favorite vocalists too Dallas! I just seen her live too - I was dazzled. Her vocals live are spot on!!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:43 am

blackieboy wrote:
Yeah, Liv Kristine is one of my favorite vocalists too Dallas! I just seen her live too - I was dazzled. Her vocals live are spot on!!!

And she is very nice as well, so is her husband, Alexander (I still kick myself for not bringing my digital camera with me when I saw and met them).angry
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:57 am

Eyesore wrote:
Annette reminds me more of Tanja from Lullacry
yeah i'd say that is a fair comparison.

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:22 am

DallasBlack wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

And she is very nice as well, so is her husband, Alexander (I still kick myself for not bringing my digital camera with me when I saw and met them).angry

Yeah, Alexander was one of the coolest band members I've ever met in person. I talked with him for a while.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:14 am

i have decided to give the new nightwish album a rest so that i do not wear it out so i have decided to wear out my opeth collection instead
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:23 pm

:goodluck:
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:24 pm

ah its so hard to do its like wanting a cigarette! i am glad i have not smoked for ten months now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:26 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Weaklings! Haha.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:43 pm

i am afraid to say i have given in and am listening to it again for the billionth time and it is till awesome
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:48 pm

here is the review i put on my website which can be accessed below

2007 has seen the release of many future classic metal albums already and i thought no-one would be able to top the works of Megadeth, Machine Head and Municipal Waste. Well I was wrong, very wrong because out of Finland comes the new studio album from a band i have known about for some time but never had a large interest in. Kerrang said this is there most interesting album to date and after hearing a few tracks in advance I have to admit i was blown away by the amazing voice of the new singer Anette Olzon! Critics say that she lacks the operatic range of classically trained Tarja Turunen and they may be right. Yet still one cannot escape the sense of warmth and passion in Anettes singing compared to the coldness I always saw in Tarja (which is the reason for my previous lack of interest in the band). As I said on the Nightwish website guestbook "The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen!", but enough about the merits of the new singer (did i forget to mention she is actually rather pretty as well!) and on too the music itself. What we have here is a collection of thirteen tracks including ballads, acoustical folk songs and even fourteen minute epics chock full of awesome riffs, Tuomas's emotional keys, pounding drums and not forgetting the soaring and uplifting new voice! So there is in fact always something different to hear in each track instead of just a bunch of rockers so it never gets boring. This is probably the first album all year where the tracks have really spoken to me in such a way before! Even the Irish folk music songs are amazing featurung a nice duet between Marco and Anette. I would whole heartedly recommend this album to any music lover as it is very special. Album of 2007 without a Doubt. Rating 10/10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Quote :
Album of 2007 without a Doubt. Rating 10/10

TOTALLY agree there brotha!!!

Great review by the way!!

🤘
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:25 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Quote :
Album of 2007 without a Doubt. Rating 10/10

TOTALLY agree there brotha!!!

Great review by the way!!

🤘

thanks i did it for my crappy website if you want to have a look

just on the islander at the moment
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 6:23 pm

what's the link?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 2:35 pm

So I've been listening to these songs on shuffle for the past week or so, while at work and in my truck. I gotta say, while I think they new album is outstanding, Tarja is sorely missed in my book. My initial reaction was something like a "Tarja who?" But that was basically a knee-jerk response to how great the new album is.

I first heard Nightwish in 1999. I was in Korea and a guy at a metal record store (yes, they have metal shops there) recommended I buy Oceanborn. So I did, and grabbed Angels Fall First, too. What first drew me to Nightwish was the vocals. I was floored when I first turned on Angels Fall First and "Elvenpath" kicked in. Musically, Nightwish isn't so unique, there are many bands that do things similar, but the vocals layered within the music is what stood out to me. And listening to these new songs mixed in with the old, I realize that I will miss Tarja's voice.

They've got Marco, and he adds a nice unique flavor to the mix because he sounds like no other vocalist that I know of, but Annette is just typical. She does a great job, but she's nothing special, and upon hearing all these recent live clips, she can't touch Tarja's level of skill. Tarja could sing in that operatic voice, but she could also bring it down to a more basic level, similar to Annette's voice. Annette can't do the same.

So while Dark Passion Play is an outstanding album, one that I love, one that will be in my top albums of 2007, I can only imagine how much better this album would have been with Tarja behind the mic. My opinion, of course.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 4:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
So I've been listening to these songs on shuffle for the past week or so, while at work and in my truck. I gotta say, while I think they new album is outstanding, Tarja is sorely missed in my book. My initial reaction was something like a "Tarja who?" But that was basically a knee-jerk response to how great the new album is.

I first heard Nightwish in 1999. I was in Korea and a guy at a metal record store (yes, they have metal shops there) recommended I buy Oceanborn. So I did, and grabbed Angels Fall First, too. What first drew me to Nightwish was the vocals. I was floored when I first turned on Angels Fall First and "Elvenpath" kicked in. Musically, Nightwish isn't so unique, there are many bands that do things similar, but the vocals layered within the music is what stood out to me. And listening to these new songs mixed in with the old, I realize that I will miss Tarja's voice.

They've got Marco, and he adds a nice unique flavor to the mix because he sounds like no other vocalist that I know of, but Annette is just typical. She does a great job, but she's nothing special, and upon hearing all these recent live clips, she can't touch Tarja's level of skill. Tarja could sing in that operatic voice, but she could also bring it down to a more basic level, similar to Annette's voice. Annette can't do the same.

So while Dark Passion Play is an outstanding album, one that I love, one that will be in my top albums of 2007, I can only imagine how much better this album would have been with Tarja behind the mic. My opinion, of course.

I hear you loud and clear which is why Annete (or any one else for that matter) will never knock Tarja out of the number one spot in my list of favortie female vocalists. Even if it turns out she WAS a stuck up prima donna like the rest of the band claims, I could never dislike her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:49 pm

I still really love Tarja. I'm looking forward to her new solo album "My Winter Storm" that comes out next month!

I've also been into Nightwish for many years. I have followed them since their first album, "Angels Fall First". So I'm speaking from a long-time fan's perspective. Tarja is great indeed - but Nightwish needed to progress, and frankly Anette is what they needed for their new direction. I don't think "Dark Passion Play" would have been half the album had Tarja been on board. Sorry.

Anette just stole my heart for some reason. Her voice (though she might not be the opera singer Tarja is) just seems to speak right to me. She's anything but typical in my books. Just me of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 12:52 am

She reminds me of Kylie Minogue, but the "Locomotion" version. lol!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 4:20 pm

blackieboy wrote:
I still really love Tarja. I'm looking forward to her new solo album "My Winter Storm" that comes out next month!

I've also been into Nightwish for many years. I have followed them since their first album, "Angels Fall First". So I'm speaking from a long-time fan's perspective. Tarja is great indeed - but Nightwish needed to progress, and frankly Anette is what they needed for their new direction. I don't think "Dark Passion Play" would have been half the album had Tarja been on board. Sorry.

Anette just stole my heart for some reason. Her voice (though she might not be the opera singer Tarja is) just seems to speak right to me. She's anything but typical in my books. Just me of course.

i gotta agree i dont think it would be the same with tarja ourely because tuomas wrote the new material with anettes voice in mind and not tarjas. still think tarja is an awesome vocalist though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm

TheGooch wrote:
i gotta agree i dont think it would be the same with tarja ourely because tuomas wrote the new material with anettes voice in mind and not tarjas. still think tarja is an awesome vocalist though
No he didn't. They wrote the music before they even had a singer. Marco is singing on the early demos. The music hasn't changed at all, it's just got more orchestration added. Tarja would have sounded great on this album.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 pm

ok ya got me. i read in metal hammer that the music was written so it would go with anettes voice. if he wrote it before them metal hammer has let me down
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 pm

TheGooch wrote:
ok ya got me. i read in metal hammer that the music was written so it would go with anettes voice. if he wrote it before them metal hammer has let me down
Well, there may be a few songs that were written after she joined, or before they told her, but they were working on that album at least a year before they chose her. Even still, I don't hear much of a style shift in the music. Take Annette away and it's just the same old Nightwish, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new Nightwish (October 2nd)   new Nightwish (October 2nd) - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new Nightwish (October 2nd)
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next