Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nightwish - Imaginaerum

Go down 
+14
Andy
Wargod
Sole Survivor
bassman
James B.
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
GrandNational
mc666
kmorg
Lari
tohostudios
MetalRob331
Eyesore
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Nightwish - Imaginaerum Empty
PostSubject: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 am

One of my most anticipated albums of the year.

I remember back in 1999, in Korea, I used to go to this tiny music shop in Kunsan and buy albums. The owner spoke like three words of English, but we got on great. We both loved metal, and through albums in his store, hand gestures, grunts and other weird vocal sounds, we totally communicated. It was bizarre, but awesome. Haha.

Anyway, he always had new albums to show me. One day I walked in, and he pulled out Nightwish's Angels Fall First and Oceanborn. That was how cool this guy was. I'd never heard of Nightwish, but those albums came in and he held them for me. So cool.

So I bought them. And man, when I popped in Angels Fall First and Tarja started to sing, it blew me away. I'd never heard those kind of vocals on a metal album before. A solid album, but Oceanborn was even better! Wishmaster came out before I left Korea in 2000, and I've been a big fan ever since.

I'm still unsure of how they became so popular. The only thing I can link to it is the song "I Wish I Had An Angel," which was on the Alone In The Dark soundtrack. Seems that came out right about the time they blew up.

So yeah, new album. That's what I'm getting at. Really looking forward to it. This clip sounds excellent!

I really love the sound Tuomas is able to get now. It's clearly what he wanted Nightwish to be all along, only he didn't have the money to make it happen until recently. They're on another level now, and I don't think any other band even comes close to replicating what he does. His love of big, theatrical soundtracks really comes through.

So yeah, can't wait for this one. Their release dates are dumb, though. Finland and Europe are first, then over a month later the other territories get it. Talk about record labels not getting it. You don't release an album to most of the world a month after its released elsewhere. So dumb!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 4:26 am

Love this band and Im all over this when it's released....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:39 am

I think I'll pass. I love early Nightwish but on the later albums Tuomas' songwriting has gotten way too bloated, overwrought and pretentious for my tastes. I bet this new one opens with a song about 15 minutes long just so he can "outdo" the opening on the last one.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:15 am

First day purchase for me.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 pm

I had sort of written this band off. Not sure why, as they haven't really dissapointed me in the past. Guess I'm just a little tired off the whole female-orchestrated-preudo-power-metal thingy. But this teaser sounded GREAT!!!!! I'll buy this album eventually.

I also agree with toho though. Nightwish, while never sucking, have still gone in a direction of orchestral overkill.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm

sounds pretty good. i like Anette better than Tarja, she's more of a typical rock singer. i doubt that the whole movie thing they're doing along with this will appeal to me though.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 1:24 pm

mc666 wrote:
sounds pretty good. i like Anette better than Tarja, she's more of a typical rock singer. i doubt that the whole movie thing they're doing along with this will appeal to me though.
Same here. All I can think of when I think of this movie is bad acting and bad English. Laughing

Maybe it'll be better, though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I think I'll pass. I love early Nightwish but on the later albums Tuomas' songwriting has gotten way too bloated, overwrought and pretentious for my tastes. I bet this new one opens with a song about 15 minutes long just so he can "outdo" the opening on the last one.
But that song is awesome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:
...hand gestures, grunts and other weird vocal sounds, we totally communicated. It was bizarre, but awesome.

Kinky

And what Toho said. I could listen to this band a few years ago and enjoy them, but it's just too syrupy to my ears these days.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
...hand gestures, grunts and other weird vocal sounds, we totally communicated. It was bizarre, but awesome.

Kinky

And what Toho said. I could listen to this band a few years ago and enjoy them, but it's just too syrupy to my ears these days.

I will have to agree with this one. I'll take syrup on my pancakes instead.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 pm

I got somewhat burned out on Nightwish but I'm game for a new album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:05 am

Before I moved out of California, a friend loaned me a DVD with the dark haired betty singing and it was entertaining. I have almost purchased cds by them here and there, never popped. Might as well be a first time.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 pm

That clip sounds good, but it looks like Insane Clown Posse took over wardrobe duties for the band.

Yikes! Scary clowns.
Back to top Go down
Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I´m very excited of the new Nightwish!

I belong to the category of people who like both Tarja and Anette era. These singers are different but both stand by their own style.

Musically I like a bit more of this dark, sound track -related style they´ve gone into.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 pm

While researching melodic hard rock (I want to pad my collection with some obscure MHR), I cam accross Anette's old band, Alyson Avenue. I'v been looking for some good female fronted AOR/MHR and now I've found some (before I only found Shiva).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:41 pm

I like Anette, but I wish they'd gotten another powerhouse vocalist instead of her. She fits, she's good, but her voice is just sweet; there's no real power there. Someone like Floor Jansen would have been a brilliant choice for replacement.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:45 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
While researching melodic hard rock (I want to pad my collection with some obscure MHR), I cam accross Anette's old band, Alyson Avenue. I'v been looking for some good female fronted AOR/MHR and now I've found some (before I only found Shiva).

Ever heard Joanna Dean's old band Bad Romance?

Or Zoo (supergroup from the 90s featuring Mick Fleetwood, Bekka Bramlett and Billy "Children Of The Sun" Thorpe:

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks Toho! That Bad Romance is exactly what I'm looking for. While Zoo is good it's not quite as hard as what I'm looking for, but something worth checking out anyways.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 7:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Thanks Toho! That Bad Romance is exactly what I'm looking for. While Zoo is good it's not quite as hard as what I'm looking for, but something worth checking out anyways.
Joanna Dean's solo album is worth getting, too. Download it, unless you want to pay a lot.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Joanna Dean's solo album is worth getting, too. Download it, unless you want to pay a lot.

I have it. And I paid a lot. Got it from an old college roommate who scrounges ebay for rarities then resells what he finds. He knew I'd been after "Misbehavin'" for forever so he sold it to me "at cost". Still ran me between $25 and $30.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I have it. And I paid a lot. Got it from an old college roommate who scrounges ebay for rarities then resells what he finds. He knew I'd been after "Misbehavin'" for forever so he sold it to me "at cost". Still ran me between $25 and $30.
I found it for $3.99 last year or so. =)
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I preordered Imaginaerum today. Two disc version with the instrumental version of the album on disc two.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Lari wrote:
I preordered Imaginaerum today. Two disc version with the instrumental version of the album on disc two.
I dig the instrumental version of the last one, but I'd personally rather some demos or b-sides.
Back to top Go down
Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm

I just heard first single, "Storytime", from the new album and it is awesome !!

Theatrical, symphonic, melodic... heavy. I think this majestic, almost soundtrack -like style they have gone into is the best they can offer.

I still like their older albums as well, but for me their latesta was the best... and if this new one goes along the lines of "Storytime", it will be the album of the year.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 pm

I admit I'll probably give this one a cursory listen but unless I hear something that knocks my socks off I don't expect to be buying it. Between Tuomas' over the top songwriting and my general disdain for this style of music these days (add Therion and Blind Guardian to my "used to like" list), I'm setting the bar pretty low.

PostSubject: Re: Nightwish - Imaginaerum   Nightwish - Imaginaerum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next