Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - Risk revisited

Go down 
+28
Gilbert
metalinmyveins
adrian
Vexer6
Hadley
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Mglaffas81
jettafiend
Olafsto
manny
rajah
Rex
Eyesore
corplhicks
akeldama
Witchfinder
nevermore
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
mlotek
MoonChild
glassprison
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
MetallicSeminarian
ultmetal
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Of course, this discussion assumes the indisputable fact that Anthrax is the best of the big 4. Razz

Wink They are not bad by any means.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Speaking of Megadeth, am I the only one who thinks "Thirteen" would have been better as an EP? Take the strongest tracks (IMO this would be sudden death, public enemy number one, black swan, whose life is it anyway, guns drugs and money, and maybe deadly nightshade) and you've got a great album. As it is there's too many tracks that are IMO mediocre.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Hadley wrote:
Speaking of Megadeth, am I the only one who thinks "Thirteen" would have been better as an EP? Take the strongest tracks (IMO this would be sudden death, public enemy number one, black swan, whose life is it anyway, guns drugs and money, and maybe deadly nightshade) and you've got a great album. As it is there's too many tracks that are IMO mediocre.

I think you have a point.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Hadley wrote:

I have no problem with the length as is.

That's what she said!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Hadley wrote:

I have no problem with the length as is.

I've never had an issue with it either.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 4:14 pm

I don't find any tracks to be weak, just some not as strong. You left off Millenium of the Blind.  headbanger 
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

A number of bands have released an odd-ball, commerical album that does not fit in with the rest of their discography, 'Music from the Elder' 'Eye II Eye' 'Lulu' 'Turbo' and most of the time fans turn their noses up at these changes.

Megadeth must have looked at the chart success of 'Load' and 'Reload', and thought if they could make albums in this style, so can we.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 6:23 pm

While there are some duds like "The Doctor Is Calling" it's a decent album overall.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:19 pm

manny wrote:
A number of bands have released an odd-ball, commerical album that does not fit in with the rest of their discography, 'Music from the Elder' 'Eye II Eye' 'Lulu' 'Turbo' and most of the time fans turn their noses up at these changes.

Megadeth must have looked at the chart success of 'Load' and 'Reload', and thought if they could make albums in this style, so can we.  

I thought a lot of RISK was much more traditional late 1970s-early 1980s rock.
Obvious influences in a lot of it.
Maybe "Prince of Darkness" leaned towards METALLICA's style at that time ("Black" to "Load" era),

"Breadline" is melodic pop metal like Triumph.
"The Doctor Is Calling" was sort of spooky like Alice Cooper (Da-Da/Constrictor/Raise Your Fist LP's darker quieter material)
"I'll Be There" is melodic early 1980s heavy metal.
"Ecstasy" was laid back and melodic like Led Zeppelin, Diamond Head.
"Time:The Beginning" / "Time:The End", same song formual as Judas Priest (mellow "Rock Rolla" LP-type material, seguing into a "Victim of Changes"-type pounder).
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 pm

mlotek wrote:
manny wrote:

I thought a lot of RISK was much more traditional late 1970s-early 1980s rock.
Obvious influences in a lot of it.
Maybe "Prince of Darkness" leaned towards METALLICA's style at that time ("Black" to "Load" era),

"Breadline" is melodic pop metal like Triumph.
"The Doctor Is Calling" was sort of spooky like Alice Cooper (Da-Da/Constrictor/Raise Your Fist LP's darker quieter material)
"I'll Be There" is melodic early 1980s heavy metal.
"Ecstasy" was laid back and melodic like Led Zeppelin, Diamond Head.
"Time:The Beginning" / "Time:The End", same song formual as Judas Priest (mellow "Rock Rolla" LP-type material, seguing into a "Victim of Changes"-type pounder).
I like Turbo and Eye II Eye, though I found Music From The Elder rather bland, nicest thing I can say about Lulu is that it's nowhere near as bad as St. Anger., but that's really not saying much.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Being younger, I wasn't listening when it was a new release so I never experienced a big disappointment. I was able to slowly check it out with the knowledge that it's considered their worst album so my expectations never were high.

I don't love the whole thing but I like quite a few songs: Insomnia, Prince of Darkness, Crush Em, the Doctor is Calling, I'll Be There, and Time: The End. It's by no means my favorite Megadeth album but I revisit it about as much as Cryptic Writings and never find myself wanting to turn it off halfway through (though I sometimes skip a few songs)
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:19 pm

After reading this thread yesterday, I thought it was a good time to revisit this album. I guess I was even surprised how over produced this album was and how in some ways it sounds more dated than any of Megadeth's other albums. First off, I can't get over the industrial metal type of feel to this album. I think the quotes that Ult posted from Dave Ellefson are apropos, in that if there was ever a Megadeth album that should have gone under a pseudonym, this was it. Not that anyone wouldn't have been able to make out the Dave Mustaine snarl, but this album was everything the album title states, a "Risk". I don't remember if there was any uproar over Dan Huff producing "Risk" back in 1999, but if people were livid about Bob Rock taking over the helm in 1991 with Metallica, then they should have been outraged with the selection of Dan Huff. Has anyone actually looked at his resume? If anyone remembers the song from "Sesame Street", "One of These Things (Is Not Like the Others), that's what I think of when I look at Dan Huff's producing credits.

Now onto the songs. I need to hear how some of these songs sounded live, because I have a feeling if there ever was an album that needed to be heard live, it's this one. Clearly "Prince of Darkness" is the gem on this album. The rest of this album though suffers from that of mediocrity to that of awfulness. I like "The Doctor is Calling", "Wanderlust", "Insomnia", "Time (The Beginning) ~ Time (The End)". Then you have songs like "Crush 'Em", which was a lame attempt by the band at writing a song which would get them in the good graces with the N.H.L. I akin it to the song "Fuel" by Metallica, which was later used by NASCAR for their NBC coverage. Granted, it was years after the song was written that NBC used it to promote NASCAR, BUT, like that of "Crush 'Em", it sounded like a song that was strictly written, so they (Metallica) could one day peddle it off to some racing faction. They both sounded so forced...
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Greatest Hits: Back to the Start had a bonus disc, recorded live at the Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, Colorado, 12/27/99.
The only RISK song on it was Prince Of Darkness.It was ok.
It might be the ONLY live RISK-era video on an official Megadeth.

here's a clip, the only one I can find on youtube
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Then you have songs like "Crush 'Em", which was a lame attempt by the band at writing a song which would get them in the good graces with the N.H.L. I akin it to the song "Fuel" by Metallica, which was later used by NASCAR for their NBC coverage. Granted, it was years after the song was written that NBC used it to promote NASCAR, BUT, like that of "Crush 'Em", it sounded like a song that was strictly written, so they (Metallica) could one day peddle it off to some racing faction. They both sounded so forced...

I like "Fuel" by Metallica better than anything on Risk.

Since it's obvious that Crush 'Em was written for the hockey barns of the world, can't it just be appreciated for that fact alone? It works for what it is. It's not a great song, but it works as one of those crowd chant along sports songs.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 5:32 pm

mlotek wrote:
Greatest Hits: Back to the Start had a bonus disc, recorded live at the Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, Colorado, 12/27/99.
The only RISK song on it was Prince Of Darkness.It was ok.
It might be the ONLY live RISK-era video on an official Megadeth.

here's a clip, the only one I can find on youtube

By this time, Marty Friedman had already announced to the band that he was leaving Megadeth. His last show was January 14th, 2000. Marty's mannerisms on stage were always a bit different, but he was displaying some extra quirky kind of movements on stage here. He already had one foot out the door, so what the hell.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 5:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Then you have songs like "Crush 'Em", which was a lame attempt by the band at writing a song which would get them in the good graces with the N.H.L. I akin it to the song "Fuel" by Metallica, which was later used by NASCAR for their NBC coverage. Granted, it was years after the song was written that NBC used it to promote NASCAR, BUT, like that of "Crush 'Em", it sounded like a song that was strictly written, so they (Metallica) could one day peddle it off to some racing faction. They both sounded so forced...

Since it's obvious that Crush 'Em was written for the hockey barns of the world, can't it just be appreciated for that fact alone?  It works for what it is. It's not a great song, but it works as one of those crowd chant along sports songs.

Whether it's the N.H.L./NASCAR, State Farm, Extenze, Viagara, I just think when it sounds forced, then it's probably because it was. Here's Mustaine's thoughts on "Crush 'Em":

Mustaine has also stated that "Crush 'Em" was "probably the dumbest" song that the band has ever recorded and said that he was "not too fond of" it.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:02 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

Since it's obvious that Crush 'Em was written for the hockey barns of the world, can't it just be appreciated for that fact alone?  It works for what it is. It's not a great song, but it works as one of those crowd chant along sports songs.

Whether it's the N.H.L./NASCAR, State Farm, Extenze, Viagara, I just think when it sounds forced, then it's probably because it was. Here's Mustaine's thoughts on "Crush 'Em":

Mustaine has also stated that "Crush 'Em" was "probably the dumbest" song that the band has ever recorded and said that he was "not too fond of" it.

Nah, "Amerikhastan" is the dumbest song they've ever recorded. Not because of the lyrics, but because he just talks the whole thing! (And I really like UA overall).
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:12 pm

^ okay, that song is just impossible to sit through. I would sit through 10 rounds of 'Crush 'Em' before that.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
^ okay, that song is just impossible to sit through. I would sit through 10 rounds of 'Crush 'Em' before that.

It's "songs" like these that make skip buttons necessary.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am

I played the album last night, on my way back home from work.

Still cannot find much in it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 11:10 am

Inspired by this thread, I pulled Risk off the shelf today for the first time in a while.

Now I'm gonna be humming "Insom-nee-om-nee-om-nee-om-nee-om-nee...." all damn day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 11:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Inspired by this thread, I pulled Risk off the shelf today for the first time in a while.

Now I'm gonna be humming "Insom-nee-om-nee-om-nee-om-nee-om-nee...." all damn day.

I think I'm gonna have to do the same and put it into my rotation for next week. Give it another fresh spin and see if anything grabs me by the short & curlies.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I think I'm gonna have to do the same and put it into my rotation for next week. Give it another fresh spin and see if anything grabs me by the short & curlies.

As I previously stated earlier in this thread, I don't mind Risk, tho I understand why a lotta people hate it. I put Risk in the same category as KISS' Music From The Elder, i.e. an interesting (but failed) experiment.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:51 pm

I've always kind of liked "Insomnia" for some reason but that's about it. I can't stand "Crush 'Em".
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Insomnia
It's ok. For some reason it reminds me a bit of something Rob Zombie would do. It's the overall pace and rhythm of the song. And I don't really like Rob Zombie, or that style in general. However, this is tolerable and one of the better tracks on the album.

Prince of Darkness
Another somewhat enjoyable song. Definitely the darkest and heaviest one on the whole album. It drags on quite a lot though.

Enter the Arena
Pointless.

Crush 'Em
I guess this is listenable, and the chorus has a small hook I like (the small moment Dave sings "roll the dice" is good). I usually skip the song though.

Breadline
These happy soft rock songs are something I just can't enjoy. Now as I listen to it, I guess I can somewhat enjoy listeing to it once but it's not something I want to hear much. The bridge part of the song is the worst.

The Doctor Is Calling
A bit darker and perhaps a bit more quirky.
Can't enjoy it at all though.

I'll Be There
I listen to this one every now and then. It's perhaps the best song in the whole album.
There's just enough melancholy and memorable melodies for me to like it. It's actually one of the better songs from the whole Megadeth catalog.

Wanderlust
I like the sad sounding parts of the song but the rest is the same as Breadline. I just can't enjoy it. I kinda like the drive in the last part of the song, but overall it's something I mostly just like to skip.

Ecstasy
I love this song. Well, the chorus is not that good, but the rest is great!
It has the vibe of some 60's pop songs. Back then there were also some great songs that were melancholic in the verses and happier in the choruses. I've always loved those melancholic parts and dislike the choruses. It's the same thing with this. However, I like the verses so much that the bad chorus doesn't bother me much. It's one of my Megadeth favorites.
This and I'll Be There are the songs that make me want to keep this album in my collection. They totally redeem it.

Seven
Can't enjoy this one.
Usually just skip it.
I guess there is one enjoyable riff somewhere but mostly this song borders on being just annoying.

Time: The Beginning
It's kinda ok.
There's nothing that annoys me, and the chorus is actually very good.
Too bad the rest of the song is pretty forgettable.

Time: The End
It's not awful by any means, but it's mostly just forgettable.
If I'm listening through the album, I usually just stop as soon as this song begins. There's no reason why I would like to hear this as the last song of the album.

All in all, it's not a total failure. It has two songs that are some of my Megadeth favorites (I'll Be There & Ecstasy), and one song with a great chorus (Time: The Beginning), and a few ok moments here and there. Too bad there are so many songs that are completely forgettable and does absolutely nothing for me.

By the way, I can't understand people who hate The World Needs a Hero. Sure, there are a couple of totally forgettable songs, and the production quality is quite poor, but there are couple amazing songs and several really great moments here and there.

Also, here's the order of how I like the albums from Risk to present day:

1. Endgame
2. The System Has Failed
3. The World Needs a Hero
4. United Abominations
5. Thirteen
6. Risk
7. Super Collider

Well, depending on the day Risk and Supercollider could change positions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - Risk revisited
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next