Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"

Go down 
+10
akeldama
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Glower
Witchfinder
Hadley
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Empty
PostSubject: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 8:41 am

I'm a big fan of this video review series called "Regretting the Past" where this reviewer discusses albums (mainly nu-metal, post-grunge,  and hard rock) that were hits in the past, but now are considered "regrettable". He finally decided to tackle "Risk":

And for a bonus, here's his review of "St. Anger":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmdWwymR-YQ
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 9:29 am

It's a terrible album. The reason why it's a terrible album is Marty Friedman had a huge influence on the writing process. Blechhh. It's also the last Megadeth album to be certified gold, which is a dubious distinction.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 1:20 pm

I bought RISK for four bucks on Ebay. Good deal.
The mouse thing was a bad image - for CD artwork
This guy doing the review is quite harsh - ugghhh....
I have listened to the CD at night, in bed, and fell right off to sleep.
It's funny that the CD opens with INSOMNIA....
it has a dreamy sound....unusual....I'm asleep after 4th song Sleep
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 2:02 pm

While I agree that Risk is a giant, steaming turd, I couldn't take this reviewer. I bailed after about 4 minutes.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Risk is pretty bad, yeah. The style isn't an issue; the songs are just weak.

"The Doctor is Calling" is a great song, though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Since I've ripped it, I can tolerate Risk if a song or 2 pops up in a Megadeth playlist, however I can't remember the last time I pulled the cd out for a full listen. It's at the very bottom of the pile when I reach for some Megadeth.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 4:34 pm

This one is still missing from my megadeth collection. Might pick it up one day though, just to complete their discography.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 5:28 pm

When Risk first came out, the word of mouth was so bad on it that I avoided it like the plague for more than a year. Eventually I picked up a copy on the cheap, cuz having a missing piece in my otherwise complete Deth discography was bugging the heck out of me.

For the price I paid ($3.99 if memory serves), I've never had any complaints about it. I kinda like "Crush'Em" (even tho Dave apparently doesn't), "The Doctor is Calling" and "Time: The End."

I can even remember thinking "Gee, this isn't THAT bad" when I first listened to it. I guess I was expecting it to be a lot worse after reading so much bad press.

Yeah, it's a half-assed attempt at meshing modern pop/rock and metal, I still think I like it better than the so-called "return to form" album that followed it up (The World Needs A Hero), which I've always found to be even MORE half-assed. Yeah, I know. Figure that one out.

When it's all said and done, though, Risk is not an album I reach for very often.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Def my least fave Deth album. "Crush 'Em" and "Prince of Darkness" are the only 2 tracks I really like. Can't remember the last time I reached for this one to put in the player.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 7:47 pm

I hate half the songs and like half the songs. I like:

Insomnia, Prince of Darkness, The Doctor Is Calling, Wanderlust, Time (The Beginning), Time (The End)

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 8:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Since I've ripped it, I can tolerate Risk if a song or 2 pops up in a Megadeth playlist, however I can't remember the last time I pulled the cd out for a full listen. It's at the very bottom of the pile when I reach for some Megadeth.

It's definitely their worst. Some other songs are pretty good, but overall it's a mediocre album.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 8:21 pm

I happen to really like Risk a lot (the original release). My least fave Megs has been Youthanasia since '94.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 8:52 pm

It's better than a lot of KISS releases - lol !
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 9:20 pm

akeldama wrote:
I happen to really like Risk a lot (the original release). My least fave Megs has been Youthanasia since '94.

Youthanasia is their best album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Youthanasia is their best album.

Though I'm quick to defend that album, that's some high praise! Of Deth's 90 albums, I would probably go:

Rust In Peace
Youthanasia
Countdown To Extinction
Cryptic Writings
Risk

Many great tunes off of Youthanasia, but I would have to go with "Elysian Fields" as my favorite!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Youthanasia is a decent record, but their best? Nah.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 10:51 pm

I thought Cryptic Writings was always underrated. True, it's hit and miss, but the hits are excellent, i love Trust, The Disintegrators, Mastermind, She-Wolf, I'll Get Even, Vortex, and FFF, which more than make up for the boring stuff like Have Cool Will Travel.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2016 7:43 am

Not a fan of the album but Crush Em and I'll be There are IMO the strongest songs on that album. I think the album was properly named. But i got it to fill my Megadeth collection
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2016 8:44 am

Easily their worst album. It's tolerable every now and then, but it gets the least spins out of all my Megadeth discs.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2016 10:31 am

"Youthanasia" is great! I would place it as my second fave of the 1990's output behind "Rust" of course.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Risk two word review - "Shit Sandwich"
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Decent album, but it really should've been released under a different name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"   Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting review of Megadeth's "Risk"
Page 1 of 1