Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - Risk revisited

Go down 
+28
Gilbert
metalinmyveins
adrian
Vexer6
Hadley
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Mglaffas81
jettafiend
Olafsto
manny
rajah
Rex
Eyesore
corplhicks
akeldama
Witchfinder
nevermore
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
mlotek
MoonChild
glassprison
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
MetallicSeminarian
ultmetal
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Megadeth - Risk revisited Empty
PostSubject: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 pm

I hated Risk when it first came out. It was clearly an attempt to win over the pop rock crowd, and the band have admitted as such since that time. It was Dave Mustaine giving up control to outside forces.

I have been reading David Ellifson's biography recently and I started going back through their catalog and listening as I read about where the band's head were at during certain years and albums. Dave has some interesting things to say about the album in the book.

In retrospect after giving this one a few spins years after the initial disappointment, I still don't find a whole lot on this record to redeem it. I have grown to appreciate "Crush 'Em" for the anthem that it is. It's a fun song, even if it is outside the normal Megadeth boundaries. I also find "Prince of Darkness" to be an interesting song and the one bright spot on an otherwise abysmal pop record. The song is dark, somewhat heavy and could have fit neatly on "Youthanasia" or "Cryptic Writings". The song is a warning about the ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world.

I thought Risk was a good album, but I also thought that it shouldn't have had Megadeth's name on it. The album completely failed to live up to the brand. Of course, it was a strange time for all the main thrash metal bands. Metallica had taken a lot of heat for cutting their hair and altering their music, and we were heading the same way.
-David Ellifson, p131, My Life With Deth

Dave (Mustaine) was emphatic that we take our musical direction back to thrash metal. To his credit, he didn't want to pretend to be a pop  band band any longer.
-David Ellifson, p132, My Life With Deth

"It is a lesson I've tried to learn from him (Dave Mustaine): do what you love and the money will follow. Risk may have been a lesson to all of us that when you put the attraction of success before the actual success comes, you have placed the cart before the horse"
-David Ellifson, p136, My Life With Deth

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 pm

I agree with you. I tried to listen with an open mind, but there's just not much of worth on the album. There are a few good tunes, but even those are only okay. And this is coming from a huge fan of Cryptic Writings.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

I still listen to Risk from time to time. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

When it first came out it got such universally savage reviews that I decided to put off buying it till I could find it cheap. I finally picked it up used for 2.99 or 3.99 about a year after its release. For that price I thought it was an OK album. If I'd paid full price I might not have been so charitable. Haha.

...I actually like Risk better than the supposed "return-to-form" album that followed it (The World Needs A Hero), which I've always thought sounded pretty half-assed.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Put together the decent songs from Risk and TWNAH and you still don't have a whole album.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 1:49 pm

I bought the album based on the single, "Breadline" which I actually enjoyed. Over time, "Wanderlust" became my favorite song on the album. I love the chorus and the guitar solo to that song. While it may not fit the "brand" Megadeth, it's an album that I return to more frequently than the majority of the more celebrated Megadeth albums. That said, it is not one that I play straight through.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I still listen to Risk from time to time. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

That is where I stand as well. I don't hate it, not that I love it either, but I like.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 pm

I always liked it, and wished it was heavier, or had a few more "heavier" songs, but at the time, I was mostly listening to the radio, and had not yet fully re-immersed myself into underground / thrash metal.
You would find me playing Triumph albums instead of Razor when this came out.

I totally hate the remixed version.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:48 pm

I still think about half of it has got a lot of heart. I can't say that about most of the stuff after. Having the elements present doesn't magically make the spark return to the songwriting. If anything most of the stuff after strikes me as more lame because it seems like a show - "give em what they want..", them being every kind of metal fan at once, so we get mostly 'Cryptic Writings' kind of stuff with a random drunken smattering of thrash now and then..... yawn.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I prefer Risk to Supercollider and 13
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Boris and OCI, I think you guys are nuts. :-p

"13" has some great stuff on it IMO. "Sudden Death", "Public Enemy", "Deadly Nightshade", "New World Order", "Black Swan", even if those last two are older tracks that the band recorded.

"SuperCollider" I like some songs too, especially "Kingmaker", but I'd rather be forcefed a daily diet of "13" and "Super Collider" than have to listen to much of "Risk".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm

MoonChild wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That is where I stand as well. I don't hate it, not that I love it either, but I like.

Same with me. It's not a total train wreck but it's also not something I really listen to too much. It's mainly a collection filler.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Risk is just not a good album. It was their attempt at trying to follow Metallica's more commercial footsteps. And they didn't succeed at it.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm

It's awful. Their worst album by far.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Liked Risk the day it came out and still do but I prefer the original release to the '04 remaster.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm

I listened to it once and vowed never to listen to it again, and that was without any knowledge of all the negative hype. It truly is a weak, watered-down, substandard Deth record without a single convincing song on it.

Going beyond that, I've really been trying hard to wrap my head around their discog since Countdown, as to why they've been following that album's formula or worse. Why haven't we heard anything akin to the first four albums? With one chance after another you'd figure there'd be at least one instance where Dave revisits the technical and progressive twists and turns that made those albums so eclectic and head-turning, but there's still so much commercial application. Sure there have been a couple songs here and there that have done this, but why can't we have a whole album?
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I listened to it once and vowed never to listen to it again, and that was without any knowledge of all the negative hype. It truly is a weak, watered-down, substandard Deth record without a single convincing song on it.

Going beyond that, I've really been trying hard to wrap my head around their discog since Countdown, as to why they've been following that album's formula or worse. Why haven't we heard anything akin to the first four albums? With one chance after another you'd figure there'd be at least one instance where Dave revisits the technical and progressive twists and turns that made those albums so eclectic and head-turning, but there's still so much commercial application. Sure there have been a couple songs here and there that have done this, but why can't we have a whole album?

Well, my favorite era is Countdown to CW, so I'm not complaining.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Risk is an okay album. There are a few duds, but also a few great songs. The rest kind of sit in between those.

My favorite is...

Sounds like a long lost Danzig song.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:21 pm

I have always liked Risk too.....except for "crush em"....what a terrible song and doesn't fit with the rest of the album whatsoever. For me, Cryptic Writings is easily their worst by a mile.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 pm

I really like Risk. In fact all of Megadeth since Countdown to Extinction are winners in my book.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Rex wrote:
I have always liked Risk too.....except for "crush em"....what a terrible song and doesn't fit with the rest of the album whatsoever. For me, Cryptic Writings is easily their best by a mile.

Fixed it for ya!  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Megadeth - Risk revisited 499945 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Youthanasia is their best.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Youthanasia is their best.

I'd go:

Cryptic Writings
Countdown to Extinction
Youthanasia

But those are subject to change depending on my mood and the day.  Megadeth - Risk revisited 506406 
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Like FF said I don't love it nor do I hate it. It has been awhile since I have spun the disc and may give it a go before I go to bed, but overall I don't completely dislike it, I think there are some good songs on the album but whether its his take on pop metal/ alternative rock or Mega-Lite, IMO whatever genre you want to file this tunes, I just don't think the songs are as memorable as he has written in the past.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:22 am

manny wrote:
Like FF said I don't love it nor do I hate it. It has been awhile since I have spun the disc and may give it a go before I go to bed, but overall I don't completely dislike it, I think there are some good songs on the album but I just don't think the songs are as memorable as he has written in the past.

This is how I would describe all Megadeth albums since Youthanasia...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Risk revisited   Megadeth - Risk revisited Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - Risk revisited
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next