Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)

Go down 
+45
Chrome Locust
Vexer6
ultmetal
EmoElmo
kmorg
Gilbert
tohostudios
nevermore
jstate
BladeRadio
Thrasher73
SpectreFate
Boris2008
Shawn Of Fire
arachnoplasma
MoonChild
Alex Dee Rokket
Grimmo
DallasBlack
corplhicks
DevZor
Leatherface
Required Fields
metalinmyveins
Joe
Troublezone
Hamer12
adrian
choosemetal
manny
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
mc666
Eyesore
Wurthless
thejokeriv
metalheaded
MetallicSeminarian
chewie
Orion Crystal Ice
Lari
MetalRob331
metalhead777
Witchfinder
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 10:43 pm

I really don't know where Jeff's eternal soul might be now or whether death is just the end.

All I know is that he has very alive people who loved him who are hurting right now and all of this crap must be very distressing for them. My heart is with them. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:37 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Is it just me or does some of the stuff fans are posting smack of extremely poor taste? I've seen people posting, "See You In Hell Jeff" or "He's South of Heaven now!" Really? We hope he was burning in hell?
As someone who doesn't believe in a hell, comments like that sound very tongue in cheek to me. Seeing as how somewhat satanic Slayers lyrics were, especially in the early days.
Yeah, I don't think those comments were meant to be offensive. I don't believe in heaven or hell myself.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 1:46 am

The WBC are fake Christians. They're not from GOD.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue May 07, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 8:17 am

The WBC are not a "church." They're not even a "cult." They're a hate group. Plain and simple. The only thing they're missing are the white hoods.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm

R.I.P Jeff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Nice write-up by Alex Skolnick.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Remembering_Jeff_Hanneman_1964_2013.aspx

What separated Jeff from the rest of the metal pack was his rhythm technique, his songwriting, and that for which he will be most remembered—his riffs. But his frenzied, turbulent solos were also an important part of the package. They weren’t about showing off. They served a greater artistic purpose—to sonically channel the qualities of Slayer’s lyrical content. They were sometimes abrasive, sometimes jarring, and at times disturbing. They had less in common with typical rock-guitar virtuosos than they did with the sonic collages of avant-garde improvisers such as Derek Bailey and John Zorn, the latter of whom is a self-professed Slayer fan who has cited the band as an inspiration. Though Jeff’s wider, more holistic guitar approach didn’t garner the same accolades as some of his more technically proficient contemporaries, Jeff never waivered from his original approach. And the fact that he continued to attack his guitar with relentless abandon—as though he were a linebacker on his beloved Oakland Raiders (whose logo adorned some of his signature ESP guitars)—is without a doubt a big part of why Slayer’s music will always be deemed one of metal’s high watermarks.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:40 pm

I did a YouTube video in memory of Jeff.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:41 am

A very strange FB ordeal that I have no idea what to do with. I was rather taken aback by this. Basically I went to school with Amber and she introduced me to her friend who I suppose is a musician and hardcore evangelist. He's also a fan of Empire 21 (a Swedish Melodic Metal band I've never heard of), Yngwie, and Rex Caroll. I'm thinking about just ignoring him but part of me wants to take a stand. Anyway:

Amber Padgett (to Martin Simson): I think I should introduce you to my high school friend, Shay Clay. You both fill my newsfeed with music and guitars and bands and so I think an introduction is finally in order. Carry on. He just posted something about j a guitar guy, Hanneman? I apologize for not paying closer attention. It trigged me to make the intros. I obviously am friends with both and don't mind the music posts.
39 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Martin Simson Slayer guitarist. Satanic band. Never heard of him.
38 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Amber Padgett Never mind.
34 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Martin Simson It's cool. Thanks for the intro.
33 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:12 am

I don't get it, but almost everything on Facebook reminds me why I applied for MarsOne, so once I understand what she's trying to say and his response I'm sure I'll hate it.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:22 am

If you are going to dig in and get into it with this guy. I would suggest appealing to his sense of empathy for the loss of a human being and musician. The dudes entitled to his opinion about slayer but that post is a bit dismissive and ignorant. But discussions like that quite often go nowhere and wind up making you mad.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:34 am

Forgot to mention my posts were a RIP and a share of the Skolnick article.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Cplhicks - That "Martin" dude sounds like a self righteous bag of douche. I'd walk away and be the better person.

On a related note... the official cause of Hanneman's death was announced today. Doesn't sound like we can blame the spider.

Quote :
We've just learned that the official cause of Jeff's death was alcohol related cirrhosis. While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent Necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life. Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving – he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record.

Bummer, and again, R.I.P.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Cplhicks - That "Martin" dude sounds like a self righteous bag of douche. I'd walk away and be the better person.

On a related note... the official cause of Hanneman's death was announced today. Doesn't sound like we can blame the spider.

Quote :
We've just learned that the official cause of Jeff's death was alcohol related cirrhosis. While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent Necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life. Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving – he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record.

Bummer, and again, R.I.P.

Yeah, I put it behind me, not worth the fight. I appreciate all the advice given here, however tr00

As for the cause of death, my God that is a horrible and painful way to go. Regardless of his drinking, though, let it not taint what we recall of his talent as a guitarist and songwriter, nor the brilliance of his character.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 11:31 pm

I've heard that the ordeal of the spider bite increased his drinking (which was already excessive) considerably. A sad ending to be sure, but he left quite a musical legacy behind for us to enjoy.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:37 am

To be honest, I thought that may be the case. I remember recently seeing an interview with Tom and he was saying that he was regularly 'reaching out' to Jeff, but who knew when he would feel able to return? I thought that it was a strange comment when talking about a guy recovering from a spider bite. Not going to judge Jeff, I came very close to that situation at a much younger age, if he had a serious problem, then the inactivity of recovering from the spider bite, just kicking around the house was probably a major contributor to his death.

The likes of Hetfield and Mustaine may make me cringe at times with all of the pompous 'recovery' talk, but if it keeps them healthy then it has to be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:49 am

Boris2008 wrote:
To be honest, I thought that may be the case. I remember recently seeing an interview with Tom and he was saying that he was regularly 'reaching out' to Jeff, but who knew when he would feel able to return? I thought that it was a strange comment when talking about a guy recovering from a spider bite. Not going to judge Jeff, I came very close to that situation at a much younger age, if he had a serious problem, then the inactivity of recovering from the spider bite, just kicking around the house was probably a major contributor to his death.

The likes of Hetfield and Mustaine may make me cringe at times with all of the pompous 'recovery' talk, but if it keeps them healthy then it has to be a good thing.

I remember reading what Tom said and thinking it was a strange choice of words too.

It's a good bet that the drinking was due to the pain as well, as healing from necrosis and the PT work involved.

One thing I learned from Jani Lane's death is that the demons are always there. Even our good man Adler went back to rehab (in his words he picked up the phone before things got worse--which is more restraint than you see in other cases). One day a man may kick his habit, but that habit will always be married to his subconscious, threatening to return in full form. My former ideal self thought the opposite, that once you kick it it's gone for good, especially if you're a rock star. Yeah, right.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

RIP

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:58 am

It's exactly what I suspected when I read it was liver related, too, so sad..
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Quote :
The Jeff Hanneman Memorial Celebration will take place on Thursday, May 23, at LA’s Hollywood Palladium from 3.30pm to 7.30pm. Entry will be free but limited by venue capacity.

A statement on the band’s Facebook page says: “It was once suggested to Slayer that if they would write ‘just one mainstream song that could get on the radio,’ they would likely sell millions of records and change the commercial course of their career, similar to what had happened to Metallica with 1993′s Enter Sandman.

“Jeff was the first to draw a line of integrity in the sand, replying, ‘We’re going to make a Slayer record. If you can get it on the radio, fine, if not, then f*ck it.’”

The band are planning to complete their European tour as previously arranged. Exodus guitarist Gary Holt, who’d stood in for Hanneman since he fell ill, will remain with the band. It’s not known whether drummer Dave Lombardo, who was dropped over a contractual dispute, will return.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Hmm, well Hanneman was the one who wrote the music for "Stain of Mind" which was obviously an attempt to cross over into the groovier "hard music" that was popular at the time. Not saying he shouldn't do that but let's put all the facts on table here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Hmm, well Hanneman was the one who wrote the music for "Stain of Mind" which was obviously an attempt to cross over into the groovier "hard music" that was popular at the time. Not saying he shouldn't do that but let's put all the facts on table here.

How is that any different than Kerry writing "Skeletons Of Society" which is quite a groovy little number on Seasons?

This viewpoint that if a thrash band has any type of groove to their music it is somehow "impure" is one of the stupidest in all of metal.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

How is that any different than Kerry writing "Skeletons Of Society" which is quite a groovy little number on Seasons?

It's definitely groovier than that one (the drumbeat to the verse for example), not to mention that whole whispering pre-chorus that was influenced by Jonathon Davis.

Quote :
This viewpoint that if a thrash band has any type of groove to their music it is somehow "impure" is one of the stupidest in all of metal.

You'd have to be pretty oblivious not to recall what was going on in "hard music" at the time (later SEPULTURA, \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", etc.) and how they made some overtures to cater to the new style. I mean just look at the timing of when it came out. They weren't trying that stuff in 2006.

Kinda like how METALLICA were just following their muse going grungy/ditching any remnants of thrash on "Load" but they conveniently brought it back when they didn't have a choice. Or see Rob Halford's failied career as an industrial artist. I'm not saying SLAYER deviated to that degree, but they definitely did deviate.

Whether something is "pure" or not doesn't make it bad btw. Sounds like you got distracted from what I was saying in order to try to create a strawman.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm

I actually think "Stain Of Mind" is one of the more memorable later Slayer songs, so whether catering to a new audience or not it worked. I'm one of the few that really love that album and think it's one of the best later Slayer albums. It was the last time they actually experimented a little with their sound before returning to their usual template.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I think it's a good album too. And I didn't say it was a bad song. But let's be honest about what it is and isn't.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 6:58 pm

How do you get rid of that "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain" thing? That's really annoying, what's so wrong with liking K o r n? I should be able to type it out normally without having to deal with that.

I disagree with the whole "Slayer selling out" thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)   Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeff Hanneman R.I.P. (1964-2013)
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next