Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Balance is the greatest album by VH from the Van Hagar years. It is one of my favorite VH albums period.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Balance is the greatest album by VH from the Van Hagar years. It is one of my favorite VH albums period.

It's second only to 5150 in my book, and equal with the first three albums. So, my (rough) order is:

1. 5150
2. Balance
3. Tie: Women and Children First, VH II
4. VH I
5. Tie: 1984 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
6. Tie: OU812 and A Different Kind of Truth
7. Tie: Diver Down and Fair Warning.
9,718,863. VH III
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm

VH III was the worst album of the decade.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I think I can safely say that, even having never heard all albums from the decade.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I think I can safely say that, even having never heard all albums from the decade.

LOL there was some Britney Spears junk and I think some Black Eyed Peas. And STILL I say VH III was worse than those combined.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

corplhicks wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

LOL there was some Britney Spears junk and I think some Black Eyed Peas. And STILL I say VH III was worse than those combined.

Which is one of the reasons the quality of A Different Kind of Truth was even more impressive (granted they used some old ideas, but who cares?).
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Anything by Coldplay is the worst album of ALL decades! angry
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Anything by Coldplay is the worst album of ALL decades! Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 308838
I totally agree! Coldplay is the new Dave Matthews Band in the Toho Hate Pantheon.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Anything by Coldplay is the worst album of ALL decades! Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 308838
I totally agree! Coldplay is the new Dave Matthews Band in the Toho Hate Pantheon.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of either. However, I still think VH III is worse, particularly because it came from the mighty Van Halen!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:55 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of either. However, I still think VH III is worse, particularly because it came from the mighty Van Halen!

I've never heard VH III, but I've often wondered if it would have been better if Hagar was the singer ?
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm

007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I've never heard VH III, but I've often wondered if it would have been better if Hagar was the singer ?

I don't think it would have made much of a difference, because the songs just weren't there. Not even Dio or Halford could've saved it, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 9:05 am

007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I don't think it would have made much of a difference, because the songs just weren't there. Not even Dio or Halford could've saved it, IMHO.

The songs weren't there, but the ideas were. VH III is at the bottom of the catalog, but by no means the disaster that so many claim it to be. I view it more as a soundtrack in that it isn't flowing and cohesive, but in the context of underscoring scene after scene it shines. Said another way, the bits and pieces are really good and added together they get lost. Gary brought in too much of an Extreme influence and especially in places where it seemed it was grafted onto instead of being integrated. When considering the bits, I was disappointed by Eddie’s tone and that to me was the turn off. I was really impressed by some of his genius ideas and it’s a shame that they fell flat. I listen to VH III unlike any other album in that I am constantly skipping around which isn’t something I usually do. Gary just didn’t work out and Eddie wasn’t at the top of his game. The other two were cardboard cutouts as far as adding anything. It’s pretty clear that Eddie’s not a strong song writer and needs good collaboration.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 9:14 am

007 wrote:

It would have made a lot of difference. Gary sang the songs as Ed's recorded them on his own. Sammy would have re-arranged Ed's music into tighter, more flowing pieces...not to mention writing completely different lyrics and melodies.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 9:32 am

Nordland is the best Bathory record by far. It's not even close.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 9:47 am

Disciple's Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is one of my very favorite albums and one that didn't leave my CD player for months after I got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ng36lR3pY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KcvLsNlAJ4
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 10:14 am

Disciple's Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is one of my very favorite albums and one that didn't leave my CD player for months after I got it.

Wow! Listened to the clip of "Remedy". This band doesn't even sound like Disciple. They sound like any number of modern rock bands, but nothing like the Disciple I remember. I'm not saying the songs are bad, they just don't sound like Disciple.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 10:16 am

ultmetal wrote:

Wow! Listened to the clip of "Remedy". This band doesn't even sound like Disciple. They sound like any number of modern rock bands, but nothing like the Disciple I remember. I'm not saying the songs are bad, they just don't sound like Disciple.

The strange thing is, I'm not a huge modern rock fan. There's only a few bands/albums I like. For some reason, this album really grabbed me. I like most Disciple, but this is my favorite.

Also, try the other clip. It's a bit heavier than "Remedy."
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:31 am

tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Ummm... "Clocks" is a pretty good tune, as is "Fire in the Hole." Radiohead takes the cake for worst band of the decade.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:49 am

jettafiend wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Ummm... "Clocks" is a pretty good tune, as is "Fire in the Hole." Radiohead takes the cake for worst band of the decade.

Maroon 5.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Maroon 5 are awful.

Coldplay are much, much worse!

Radiohead are absolutely brilliant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm not a big fan of Radiohead but I respect what they do, I don't think they deserve all the hate they get from some quarters.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Quote :
Warrior Soul deserved to be the mother-effing hugest band of the 1990s

So true. I will always contend that with a little bit of foresight and proper promotion from Geffen they could've been a "metal act" that fit in well with the alternative set. Kind of a Rage Against The Machine type of thing. Of course Kory Clarke would've imploded even worse with any kind of big success I'm guessing. But it was all right there for them IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:07 pm

I don't know how unorthodox this is, but this is my favorite Stryper song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coQXONftaKY
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Radiohead but I respect what they do, I don't think they deserve all the hate they get from some quarters.

The Bends is my most often spun CD that isn't metal, and OK Computer was their best album. I didn't really pay much attention to them after Kid A because of the style change, but those two albums were certainly hard rock masterpieces in my book.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't know how unorthodox this is, but this is my favorite Stryper song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coQXONftaKY

This song has just made me a Stryper fan - finally it "clicked".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 21 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next