Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I love love love Augury. For the most part, a lot of death metal which is being cranked out lately is overproduced and overbr00tal and super stock artwork and stock riffs and stock everything.

This.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:50 pm

A new death metal band I like a lot is Cannabis Corpse all their songs are original btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDRRm_fNww
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:16 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Not an opinion, but an observation of my own tastes. I've grown bored with death metal. I can't seem to get into most new stuff thrown my way and I rarely listen to the old stuff.

I like some newer death bands (I like to rock Nile every once in a while), but I prefer the older, earlier death bands. They actually had some memorable riffs. The vocals can get monotonous, though.
I could never really get into most death metal bands, I honestly think most of them sound too identical to one another, especially in regards to the vocals.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

What gets me is these days the vocal patterns are reaaaally starting to blend and sound exactly the same. But with the old school, it was all distinctive. You could tell Glen Benton, Chuck Schuldiner, David Vincent, and John Tardy apart from each other. Today, we have a bunch of Randy Blythe copycats.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Possessed - Seven Churches, Beyond the Gates
Death - Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy
Early Sepultura

That's about as far as I have ever gone or wanted to go with the whole genre. It really does leave me cold.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 4:22 pm

corplhicks wrote:
What gets me is these days the vocal patterns are reaaaally starting to blend and sound exactly the same. But with the old school, it was all distinctive. You could tell Glen Benton, Chuck Schuldiner, David Vincent, and John Tardy apart from each other. Today, we have a bunch of Randy Blythe copycats.

THANK YOU!!!!! headbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Other than Immortal Souls or Arch Enemy, death metal is a style that I tend to avoid for reasons as stated ^^.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:39 pm

I can't stand Arch Enemy! Lyrically they are in the footstep's almost Crass/Amebix like which I'm not really into. Also I don't like the vox.

I think Amon Amarth is overated. They have a few good albums but nothing blew my mind.

Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm

choosemetal wrote:
I can't stand Arch Enemy! Lyrically they are in the footstep's almost Crass/Amebix like which I'm not really into. Also I don't like the vox.

I think Amon Amarth is overated. They have a few good albums but nothing blew my mind.

I don't like early Arch Enemy too much, I don't think the band got good until Angela stepped in.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 11:10 pm

I like a lot of pop metal, hair metal, sleaze metal or whatever you want to call it. Bands like Cinderella, Britny Fox, Slaughter, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Steelheart, Dangerous Toys, Dirty Looks, White Lion, Stryper, Kix, Ratt, etc. re some of my favorites. That said, I detest Bon Jovi, though in my opinion he was never even remotely metal.

Motley Crue's best albums were Too Fast for Love and Shout At the Devil. After that they never released another 100% solid, filler-free record.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 11:38 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I like a lot of pop metal, hair metal, sleaze metal or whatever you want to call it. Bands like Cinderella, Britny Fox, Slaughter, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Steelheart, Dangerous Toys, Dirty Looks, White Lion, Stryper, Kix, Ratt, etc. re some of my favorites. That said, I detest Bon Jovi, though in my opinion he was never even remotely metal.

Motley Crue's best albums were Too Fast for Love and Shout At the Devil. After that they never released another 100% solid, filler-free record.
So you don't like ANY Bon Jovi songs, I usually skip over the radio hits, but "Wild In The Streets" is one of my faves.

As for Crue, I think New Tattoo and Saints Of Los Angeles didn't have any real filler, I even sorta liked Generation Swine.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:13 am

ultmetal wrote:

Same exact here. Let's talk about some of those names you mentioned:

Cinderella: their image did them zero favors. Bluesy, ballsy, a lot of Aerosmith and AC/DC, nothing like the glam artists of the day, and nothing like pop metal.

Steelheart: This album, to me, was a masterpiece even if it was the end of an era. I'll never forget hearing "She's Gone" for the first time, one of the most intense and greatest metal ballads. Let's not forget Miljenko Matijevic's voice eclipsed nearly every other singer in regard to range. That man was the Mariah Carey of pop metal. Lastly, the album had no filler IMO. Every song is catchy, rocking, and well-written.

White Lion: I always went against the grain here and said these guys got better with age. Pride had the best singles but the in-between was rambling filler and got pretty cheesy. On top of that the mix was nasty, way too much treble. But Big Game and Mane Attraction were spot-on and consistent. Tramp developed more dynamics in his style and the production was fat and muscular. And of course Vito's a helluva underrated guitarist who did fascinating things with what Eddie started.

BON JOVI: Borderline AOR, maybe a little hard rock. I respect how they pulled a Bruce Springsteen in representing the common blue-collar working man, unlike most glam bands all about riches and luxury, but we all know what they were really up to backstage. Their songs, while accessible and hooky, just don't come off as sincere; and of course every other song has to be a ballad. Last but not least they have gotten worse with every album and are now essentially a self-parody with the genre-switching, bleeding heart poeticism, and self-infatuation. Meh, I say.

As for the Crue, this is true as well, except I still think their best album was without Vince.

TL; DR: glam metal was the shit.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 11:20 am

choosemetal wrote:
A new death metal band I like a lot is Cannabis Corpse all their songs are original btw.

new as in "new" to you listening to them surprised

"Eaten Back Alive" was released in 1990

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:14 pm

James B. wrote:
choosemetal wrote:

Canabis Corpse formed in 2006.

Cannibal Corpse put out "Eaten Back To Life" in 1990.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Going back to page one for this one.....

Quote :
Last but not least: Holland was Priest's best drummer.

I almost sprayed coffee all over the monitor and ended up choking insread.

His playing was average even in Trapeze. He came on board with British Steel and dumbed thing s down on the kit. Les Binks who came in for the tour of "Sin After Sin" was steps above him (IMHDO)

Listen.......to the songs from the three albums before Binks joined that are on "Unleashed" and you can hear lil nuances that were not on the studio albums. Then go and listen to Holland on "LIVE" and alot of "feel" and vibe" or gone.

Travis is talented but has tendacies to overplay. He can be predictable too.
Fast has it's place....drums are an instrument played by a human and should have something to them that are not a machine like feeling.

I prefer Binks to em all. He could jump in the pocket, kick it out with the feet, swing, groove, and most of all play with some feel.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:
choosemetal wrote:

Canabis Corpse formed in 2006.

Cannibal Corpse put out "Eaten Back To Life" in 1990.

duh, thanks Shawn...didn't even notice the difference till you pointed it out.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:48 pm

James B. wrote:
Going back to page one for this one.....

Quote :
Last but not least: Holland was Priest's best drummer.

I almost sprayed coffee all over the monitor and ended up choking insread.

His playing was average even in Trapeze. He came on board with British Steel and dumbed thing s down on the kit. Les Binks who came in for the tour of "Sin After Sin" was steps above him (IMHDO)

Listen.......to the songs from the three albums before Binks joined that are on "Unleashed" and you can hear lil nuances that were not on the studio albums. Then go and listen to Holland on "LIVE" and alot of "feel" and vibe" or gone.

Travis is talented but has tendacies to overplay. He can be predictable too.
Fast has it's place....drums are an instrument played by a human and should have something to them that are not a machine like feeling.

I prefer Binks to em all. He could jump in the pocket, kick it out with the feet, swing, groove, and most of all play with some feel.
Dude, that's why this thread has "opinion" in the title, relax. Personally I like Holland better then Binks.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Dude, that's why this thread has "opinion" in the title, relax. Personally I like Holland better then Binks.

...and he just told you his. Dude, relax.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Speaking of hair/pop/glam metal, i find i like a lot of the lesser known stuff more. I like Poison, Warrant, and all the big names too, but i really dig the more obscure stuff like sleeze beez, spread eagle, bonfire, babylon ad, jesse strange, blue tears, tyketto,etc.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Hadley wrote:
Speaking of hair/pop/glam metal, i find i like a lot of the lesser known stuff more. I like Poison, Warrant, and all the big names too, but i really dig the more obscure stuff like sleeze beez, spread eagle, bonfire, babylon ad, jesse strange, blue tears, tyketto,etc.
Me too, Bonfire is my all-time favorite band.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Alice Cooper's Dirty Diamonds is one of his best!

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Anvil is boring...the best thing about them is their movie.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

don\'t know Can't call why ya thought I was distressed or whatever. I was cracking up more than blowing a gasket or anything like that. It's subjective of course. I look at it from this perspective as well....after Holland joined they stopped playing certain songs. Yeah, I know ya gotta make room for newer tunes but it can also point to the new guy not being able to play things correctly. Case in point, the dude drumming for Sabbath nowadays. He has skills but his hands and feet have a big time hole trying to fill the pocket that Bill Ward fit into so nicely.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm

To me Bill Ward is the one drummer who cannot be emulated.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 5:31 pm

I guess this is unorthodox:

Not only do I not own any Celtic Frost, I don't think I've ever heard a single song from them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 23 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next