Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I don't know how unorthodox this is, but this is my favorite Stryper song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coQXONftaKY

This song has just made me a Stryper fan - finally it "clicked".

Against the Law is an incredible album, even though it's a bit uneven (they visit several different subgenres). All for One was quite an anthem but you should hear their rendition of Shining Star; a bit cheesy but it rocks hard. This is all coming from one who does not care for Stryper.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Great song.

My other favorite off that album:

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 2:53 pm

ultmetal wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Great song.

That one is great, too. I also love the title track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH3w7QmqezM
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Great song.

I'm never gonna like this, it's just not my thing, but I really can respect it as they are talented guys who have come a long way IMHO since they started and I really hated them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I've got one..

Steve Tucker Morbid Angel > Vincent Morbid Angel. 'Formulas..' is probably their best record.

I can see this. Tucker had a scary scary vocal, truly menacing low end. I like MA either way. Vincent's vocals have this awesome sickening/violent current that I enjoy a bit more. Musically speaking, I prefer the constant speed of the Vincent albums. Later albums got a little muckier. Either way, best death metal ever created (perhaps that's my unorthodox opinion). Covenant's my favorite album; I still get goosebumps listening to Angel of Disease.

I can agree with this. I like the Tucker era better. I must admit that my favorite Morbid Angel album is Gateways to Annihilation which I hold as one of their best if not their best album. It is imo also a death metal gem that is far too underappreciated.

I 100% I loved their first four albums, and prefer David Vincent era, but it could be I prefer that era because I saw that line up several times live.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Great song.

I'm never gonna like this, it's just not my thing, but I really can respect it as they are talented guys who have come a long way IMHO since they started and I really hated them.

Yeah they and WASP sounded practically identical in the beginning. Wink
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm probably like most people where I would like Stryper so much more if their lyrics were at least on the level of Saint, and there were no ballads.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I'm probably like most people where I would like Stryper so much more if their lyrics were at least on the level of Saint, and there were no ballads.

I like "Lady" from Against the Law. Other than that, not a fan of their ballads.

While I agree with Stryper and Saint in their beliefs, as I am a Christian, neither one of them were the best lyricists available in Christian metal. That being said, Saint's "Sinnerpeace" is one of their best songs lyrically, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Unable to resist the guitarwork. Simply. Can't.
Back to topic, "Port Royal" is THE Running Wild album, with instrumental "Final Gates" being one of the best tracks they've ever recorded.
Fifth Angel's "Time Will Tell" is better than the s\t.
Exciter became listenable from Long Live the Loud, OTT album is the best of theirs.
Last but not least, Vicious Rumors lost the magic after mighty Carl Albert dramatically died. Their post work fails to grab me at all.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:19 pm

As long as we're talking about before ATL, yes, they wrote horrid ballads drenched in keyboards goo, and their lyrics are the biggest turn off for me. In fact, Sing-Along Song spoiled the entire To Hell with the Devil batch. When I heard that song I nearly kicked my boombox. I doubt there's anything more insipid written in Christian metal. And let's not forget Reason for the Season. Blegh.

My biggest problem with Stryper will always be how they dumbed everything down. The music was just too simple and boneheaded. Perhaps if there was a punkier attitude to go along with the five or six power chords, tiny riffs, lame poeticism, and pretty melodies, I'd dig it some, but it really is way to squeaky clean to the point of bad taste.

I'm so glad other bands like Bloodgood, Barren Cross, and later Holy Soldier got the grasp of this.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah, when they really try and they turn on some power metal like 'Soldiers Under Command' (the song, which is my favorite Stryper song) it's like YESSSSSSSSSSSS and then.........other songs. Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 499945

I don't know if 'Port Royal' is THE THE THE Running Wild record, although it destroys, but the Rolf/Majk Moti guitar duo IMO is one of the best there's ever been in metal. It's too bad it only lasted 4 records. Perfect example of exactly what to do if you are gonna have dual leads. Just perfect leads. Another duo in that school is Olaf Thorsen/Andrea Cantarelli (Labyrinth).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Soldiers Under Command is really the only pre-ATL song I like; decent riffing.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Quote :
I would like Stryper so much more if their lyrics were at least on the level of Saint

I understand what you mean. But I can take the cheese dick lyrics from guys dressed up like bumblebees way before grown men with Fantastic Sam's haircuts in leather and spikes.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 7:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
I would like Stryper so much more if their lyrics were at least on the level of Saint

I understand what you mean. But I can take the cheese dick lyrics from guys dressed up like bumblebees way before grown men with Fantastic Sam's haircuts in leather and spikes.

Regarding the latter, are you referring to those who are TR00?? tr00
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 7:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

These guys:

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Saint-in-the-battle
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Why...yes. Yes, you are right.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

These guys:

laughing

I love there sound but that cover deserves to go in the "bad album covers are like fine art" thread. Man do they look dorky there.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:38 pm

DevZor wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

These guys:

laughing
I love there sound but that cover deserves to go in the "bad album covers are like fine art" thread. Man do they look dorky there.

The reissued cover is one million times better.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:46 pm

The reissued cover is one million times better.

THIS is a million times better.

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Scissors
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 9:55 pm

From a Christian music review site (hopefully no one reading this): "It also must be mentioned the new album artwork, which, appropriately, reflects a “medieval battle flair”. Many have complained that the artwork to the original, in which the group’s portrait is placed over a nuclear explosion in the background, was cheesy. To be honest, I kind of liked it."
Back to top Go down
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:27 am

• My favourite Vicious Rumors album is Soldiers Of The Night.
  • I like the Blaze-era albums as much as, say, Powerslave, and more than some other Bruce-era albums.
  • I think Jugulator and Demolition are actually good albums, or at least Glenn Tipton taking swipes at extreme metal and nu-metal.
  • The David Wayne era Metal Church albums are the ones I like least.
  • GnR, Poison, RATT, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and all those glam bands don't interest me at all.
  • I like all of Europe's 80s albums, and feel Final Countdown would make a neat metal album if only Norum's guitar was not muzzled.
  • I also enjoy AOR and synthpop with plenty of keyboard presence.
  • Maybe unorthodox, but I feel picking Andi Deris was a step down for Helloween, and he sounds worse (and so do the band) on every album- while Kai Hansen's singing is actually getting better.
  • Metallica's Black Album ranks up there at the top with Master Of Puppets and Justice For All.
  • The Terry Glaze/Power Metal era of Pantera is fun to listen to.
  • In the present, I find Jon Oliva's voice difficult to listen to, while I don't mind Geoff Tate's so much- yes, I know Oliva's had problems and Tate, um, caused problems, but maybe in some time I won't like Tate either.
  • Joe Lynn Turner fits nicely in a metal band.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm

I keep hearing in this thread about Pantera's early glam work, and now I'm curious since I've never heard anything before Cowboys. Think I know what I'll be hearing tonight (along with Slayer, of course).

Got another one to add: Voivod. Voivod is decent, but I can't stand Nothingface and keep scratching my head as to why it's considered a masterpiece (although I do enjoy Astronomy Domine).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Not an opinion, but an observation of my own tastes. I've grown bored with death metal. I can't seem to get into most new stuff thrown my way and I rarely listen to the old stuff.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Not an opinion, but an observation of my own tastes. I've grown bored with death metal. I can't seem to get into most new stuff thrown my way and I rarely listen to the old stuff.

I like some newer death bands (I like to rock Nile every once in a while), but I prefer the older, earlier death bands. They actually had some memorable riffs. The vocals can get monotonous, though.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

I love love love Augury. For the most part, a lot of death metal which is being cranked out lately is overproduced and overbr00tal and super stock artwork and stock riffs and stock everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 22 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next