Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Though metal is my main gig I still dig the following artists:

Sweet Surrender
Garth Brooks
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Peter Cetera
Duran Duran
Peabo Bryson
Sergio Mendes
The Temptations
Chris Ledoux (the most metal of all country western!)
Anything Bluegrass

Also, "grunge" is basically a different mold of rock and metal. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Quote :
Also, "grunge" is basically a different mold of rock and metal.

Folks 'round here tend to be more open minded about the grunge "thang" than at some other forums I've hung out on. There are a few out there that will tar 'n' feather you if you even hint that you may have, at one time, kinda sorta enjoyed "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Next thing you know they're gettin' out the pitchforks and torches and they're running you out of town on a rail.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Folks 'round here tend to be more open minded about the grunge "thang" than at some other forums I've hung out on. There are a few out there that will tar 'n' feather you if you even hint that you may, at one time, have kinda sorta enjoyed "Smells Like Teen Spirit." : Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 430996

It's frustrating to see. I was lucky since I got into rock and metal a bit after the grunge scene had settled in. Thus I embraced both; it didn't feel like a dichotomy to me. The funny thing is I've never had many friends that like the taste of rock and metal, so I didn't have to suffer a guilt trip because I rarely heard any negativity about it.

Hell, if one were to speed up Smells Like Teen Spirit, it would be borderline thrash! headbanger
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

I enjoy Eye II Eye as much as Tokyo Tapes

I like Slip Of The Tongue.

I like Blaze era Maiden.

The 80's kicked butt. That's when I came of age musically. May not listen to a lot of it now but it was sure great while it was happening.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Quote :
Anything Bluegrass

(psssst, actually it's Johnny Cash. ) Carry on, nothing to see here.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :
Anything Bluegrass

(psssst, actually it's Johnny Cash. ) Carry on, nothing to see here.

Whisper ye not, for correct ye are. How could I forget?!
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Owning CDs by "grunge" bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.) does not make you the enemy, a sell-out or a traitor to the metal scene.

This!

In fact, there is no such thing as being a traitor to the metal scene. If you dig a record, you dig it, end of story.

That sounds an awful lot like TRAITOR talk to me! angry

just kidding
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 pm

DevZor wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Owning CDs by "grunge" bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.) does not make you the enemy, a sell-out or a traitor to the metal scene.

This!

In fact, there is no such thing as being a traitor to the metal scene. If you dig a record, you dig it, end of story.

just kidding

Let me guess, you're a Manowar fan... lol!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
yeah, 'A Matter of Life And Death' is fairly passable, but 'The Final Frontier' is just about the most boring thing I've heard from them. I'm sitting there wondering what in the world is going on as they're doing this. lol!

Sadly, being a big Maiden fan, I have to agree. I just never could really get into The Final Frontier. I also had that problem with MoLaD, but eventually grew on me. Dance Of Death was the last Maiden album to really draw me in from the get go.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm

I guess I should say here that I've heard nothing of Maiden's after Fear of the Dark. Not even the Blaze stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Embarassed I really like the final frontier. Quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm

I think 'Keeper of the Seven Keys 1' is way, way, way better than the second one. The second one is probably one of the weaker Helloween records, as a whole record.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Embarassed I really like the final frontier. Quite a bit.

I did too. In fact it's probably my favorite of the Bruce reunion albums.

I'll not only take the reunion records over the "Blaze" stuff but I also like them better than No Prayer or Fear Of The Dark.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think 'Keeper of the Seven Keys 1' is way, way, way better than the second one. The second one is probably one of the weaker Helloween records, as a whole record.

HELL YES. I've been tryin' to convince folks around here of that for YEARS.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Saviour Machine is not a metal band.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If I'm in the mood for some helloween, I am much more likely to pull out part I rather than part II. Half of part II does absolutely nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DevZor wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

This!

just kidding

Let me guess, you're a Manowar fan... lol!

Lol, little too Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 576953 for my taste... Razz
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Do you not crave intense and violent physical contact and fellowship with other males for the pursuit of respect?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 pm

I completely gave up on Helloween about 90 seconds into Dr Stein, so yes I much prefer ptI
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Do you not crave intense and violent physical contact and fellowship with other males for the pursuit of respect?

While being all oiled up wearing fur boots and loin cloths. How very "over-compensating" of them.

Razz

Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 505193 RESPECT ME!!!
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
yeah, 'A Matter of Life And Death' is fairly passable, but 'The Final Frontier' is just about the most boring thing I've heard from them. I'm sitting there wondering what in the world is going on as they're doing this. lol!

Sadly, being a big Maiden fan, I have to agree. I just never could really get into The Final Frontier. I also had that problem with MoLaD, but eventually grew on me. Dance Of Death was the last Maiden album to really draw me in from the get go.
I like Final Frontier, but Matter Of Life And Death just didn't really do anything for me, it's my least favorite Maiden album by far.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm

James B. wrote:
I like the band Keel (Brian Jay and Marc Ferrari are a great tandem)

The best 80's Quiet Riot album was the S/T with Shortino at the helm.

Tesla was THE BEST MTV band of the late 80's

Jake E. Lee is Ozzy's best guitarist after Rhoads

I like Keel too, I don't if that's "unorthodox" though.

I think QRIII is the Quiet Riot album.

I think Psycho Circus is a decent KISS album.

I love everything Dragonforce has done.

While i'm not really a fan of grunge or alternative bands, I do like some grunge-ish albums like Dokken-Shadowlife and Warrant-Belly To Belly

Slip Of The Tongue is my favorite Whitesnake album.

I occasionally listen to pop music like Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, etc.

I think "All For You" is an underrated Annihilator album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 6:19 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
The best thrash metal has memorable hooks.

Everyone should agree here!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Folks 'round here tend to be more open minded about the grunge "thang" than at some other forums I've hung out on. There are a few out there that will tar 'n' feather you if you even hint that you may have, at one time, kinda sorta enjoyed "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Next thing you know they're gettin' out the pitchforks and torches and they're running you out of town on a rail.

And like most genres, a lot of the good stuff was under the radar. Everybody got sick of Nirvana and Pearl Jam to some degree. As much as I loved STP's Core I played it to death, but there was other stuff along the same lines such as Gruntruck or New Idol Sun to freshen things up for those of us who happened to like that particular sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 9 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 24  Next