Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Also, "grunge" is basically a different mold of rock and metal.

Folks 'round here tend to be more open minded about the grunge "thang" than at some other forums I've hung out on. There are a few out there that will tar 'n' feather you if you even hint that you may have, at one time, kinda sorta enjoyed "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Next thing you know they're gettin' out the pitchforks and torches and they're running you out of town on a rail.

And like most genres, a lot of the good stuff was under the radar. Everybody got sick of Nirvana and Pearl Jam to some degree. As much as I loved STP's Core I played it to death, but there was other stuff along the same lines such as Gruntruck or New Idol Sun to freshen things up for those of us who happened to like that particular sound.
Or Screaming Trees...I still think "Sweet Oblivion" and "Dust" are excellent albums.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :
Chris Ledoux (the most metal of all country western!)
Anything Bluegrass

(psssst, actually it's Johnny Cash. ) Carry on, nothing to see here.

chris LeDoux is definitely metal, Johnny Cash is the original punk. Love them both.

Garth Brooks was the first "New Kid on the Block" Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 447763
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 pm

So Far, So Good... So What! is better than both Peace Sells and Rust in Peace
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think 'Keeper of the Seven Keys 1' is way, way, way better than the second one. The second one is probably one of the weaker Helloween records, as a whole record.

HELL YES. I've been tryin' to convince folks around here of that for YEARS.

That makes 3 of Us. Eagle Fly Free annoyed me about 30 seconds in and the rest of the album, other than Save Us is "meh". Save Us is a fantastic speedy metal song and one of the best that Helloween have written.

Last edited by jettafiend on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 pm

A night at the opera is a great blind guardian album.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
A night at the opera is a great blind guardian album.

I can't really be impartial but it is the only one that I own or have heard, and I do enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Helloween is over-rated

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:40 pm

James B. wrote:
Helloween is over-rated

Agreed. I like them fine, but there are many power metal bands I enjoy a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 pm

same. I would be more into the later era if not for Deris' vocals, and I'm not someone who is amazingly picky about singers or whatever since I feel like most people really miss the point of different voices, but as a singer, there is something about his vocals which provoke this uncomfortable physical reaction in me and it's actually really kind of ugh to go through a whole album with him on it.
Back to top Go down
trock67
Metal novice
Metal novice
trock67

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 pm

James B. wrote:
I like the band Keel (Brian Jay and Marc Ferrari are a great tandem)

The best 80's Quiet Riot album was the S/T with Shortino at the helm.

Tesla was THE BEST MTV band of the late 80's

Jake E. Lee is Ozzy's best guitarist after Rhoads

Keel- The Final Frontier is better than Iron Maiden- The Final Frontier.
Badlands was the greatest band EVER!
Europe-S/T is one of the finest debuts in metal history.
When Criss Olivia died, Savatage died.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Saviour Machine is not a metal band.

Okay. I just caught this a little late while browsing. I've been super-curious as to why Saviour Machine isn't listed on NLTM. I'm not very fond of them, but remember they were such a big deal when their albums came out, and all the goth-metal kids were pushing them in my face. I still don't know what goth metal is. Anyway, I've listened to them and they are technically metal sounding...?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 pm

They are not on my site because I've never really cared for them. I've owned most of their CDs and they are just background noise. A lot of the songs don't even have guitars which I would say is one of the key ingredients to be metal, if not the key ingredient. I just randomly picked three songs on YouTube. Does anyone consider this heavy metal?

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Nope. They're gothic rock opera.

Eagle Fly Free is one of the BEST songs Helloween has ever written.
Keepers 1 and 2 cannot and should not really be pitted against each other because they're considerably different than each other.
The only 'meh' song on Part 2 is We Got The Right. All the others are excellent, and that's just the way it is.
Helloween's humor in their songs is what sets them apart and is part of their charm. It is not a detriment. Silly humor and metal DO mix. Helloween prove it.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I liked Saviour Machine's first album but never bothered with'em beyond that one...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 pm

I think Russel Allen is one of the most boring singers in metal. Technically a solid singer, but that's the very reason he sucks. All personality is polished out of the voice and your left with a human note machine. As a dream theater fan I always hear people wishing/hoping that Allen would sing for them but ugh... At the very least Labrie has personality and distinctiveness on his side... Even if you hate Labrie with firey passion you gotta admit that he's more memorable than typical power metal guy... I mean russel Allen.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 pm

DevZor wrote:
I think Russel Allen is one of the most boring singers in metal. Technically a solid singer, but that's the very reason he sucks. All personality is polished out of the voice and your left with a human note machine. As a dream theater fan I always hear people wishing/hoping that Allen would sing for them but ugh... At the very least Labrie has personality and distinctiveness on his side... Even if you hate Labrie with firey passion you gotta admit that he's more memorable than typical power metal guy... I mean russel Allen.

I'm totally with you on this one.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Except it's worse because now Russell is run of the mill power metal guy mixed with Phil Anselmo.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 pm

I listened to a couple of adrenalin mob's recent covers. It was a master class in how to strip the magic away from the songs. The Dio covers where brutal, by thank mean almost perfect musical representations but dead and lifeless. It was almost unnerving in the same way perfect wax statues of real people are.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm

My opinion is that ALL rock music is a product of Satan and his minions. He/His has taken the form of Robert Johnson, Glen Miller, Frank Sinatra, Jerry Lee Lewis, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Stephen Bishop, Lee Greenwood, Billy Ray Cyrus, etc. Only to manipulte young minds into the evils of sex and free-thinking! I condemn thee to hell Garth Brooks and Ted Nugent!!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 pm

ultmetal wrote:
They are not on my site because I've never really cared for them. I've owned most of their CDs and they are just background noise. A lot of the songs don't even have guitars which I would say is one of the key ingredients to be metal, if not the key ingredient. I just randomly picked three songs on YouTube. Does anyone consider this heavy metal?

Agreed for the most part, they became really elaborate and ethereal with their later material, taking the "opera" thing too far. However, this is the Saviour Machine I remember:

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Flotsam and Jetsam's When the Storm Comes Down and Onslaught's In Search of Sainty are fine records.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 am

I quite enjoy Billy Squier, Billy Idol and Bon Jovi.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:23 am

DevZor wrote:
I think Russel Allen is one of the most boring singers in metal. Technically a solid singer, but that's the very reason he sucks. All personality is polished out of the voice and your left with a human note machine. As a dream theater fan I always hear people wishing/hoping that Allen would sing for them but ugh...

Ironic because I was just thinking that I'm not a fan of Jorn Lande. His voice is ok I guess, but he just hasn't had the songs. I've heard about two songs from him that I like and one was a cover. Allen/Lande was boring too.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 am

Vexer6 wrote:

I enjoy Billy Squire, Billy Idol, and Billy Ocean- but no Jon for me.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:33 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

I enjoy Billy Squire, Billy Idol, and Billy Ocean- but no Jon for me.

I admit to being heavily into Bon Jovi at one point, but now it's all fluffy stuff marshmallows to me. I have to say, though...Bed of Roses is quite a ballad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 10 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 24  Next