Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
18. DREAM THEATER have written very few good songs since Kevin Moore quit.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! Kevin Moore was the best SONGwriter they ever had!

... I like DT.... and your right about Awake, corplhicks. That album has an atmosphere like no other DT album..... I LOVE IT!!!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 am

I really like Kevin Moore's solo material!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
1. CAULDRON BORN are a better band than IRON MAIDEN

I sort of think Cauldron Born is the band that tries so incredibly hard to be so USPM blah blah blah blah in every way that it ends up a tribute band and misses the point of heavy metal entirely. "Wait, guys, do we have enough minor scales in 4/5 here? What about the lyrics to this song, are there enough manly dungeons? Ok, good." I'm sure that band hates, I dunno, Freedom Call, but you know what? FC (on the first couple at least) mean every single note and every single verse, and stuff is not there to just be there, like to shred, or be emotional, or perfectly fit a genre specification. Bad music happens when bands try to do that, especially in metal.

Temple of Blood wrote:
9. Lars Ulrich's drumming >>>> Jon Schaffer's songwriting

Some of these comparisons feel sort of random, but I have to give the thumbs up on this one just to stick it to IE. Laughing

Temple of Blood wrote:
10. FORCED ENTRY is much better than BELIEVER

Again a little random, but even so, Forced Entry never made a comeback with 'Gabriel' and 'Transhuman', both of which manage to piss off and confuse everybody while staying amazing progressive metal with great guitar ideas everywhere.

Temple of Blood wrote:
11. Chuck Shuldiner played more bad guitar solos during his career than good ones

Gonna happen when there's 3 in every song..

Temple of Blood wrote:
20. SEVEN WITCHES is the worst metal band to ever be signed by a large metal label

I'm no fan of Seven Witches, but did you forget DragonForce? I have a difficult time thinking of one aspect of their music which is good beyond some of the songs on their first record. It's like they took everything that should work fine and decided to do it all completely wrong.

Temple of Blood wrote:
22. TESTAMENT wrote a lot of mediocre songs in the 80s.

Testament is just mediocre, period.

Temple of Blood wrote:
33. MANILLA ROAD is also a terrible band.

I can forgive you for Cauldron Born worship because of this truth (although the juxtaposition leaves me a little confused).
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 am

I've never been much of a Metallica fan.

I prefer European power metal to US power metal, and I think they're distinct enough that they should be regarded as separate genres.

Possibly related to the last point, I prefer Ray Alder Fates Warning to John Arch Fates Warning and later Savatage to earlier Savatage.

I like Fight For The Rock, but it was one of the last Savatage albums I heard and I did know in advance that it was a bit of an anomaly, so my reaction was always going to be different from someone who heard it when it was first released.

I like Hear In The Now Frontier and Geoff Tate's first solo album.

I prefer Nightwish with Anette Olzon to Nightwish with Tarja, although I would say that's more to do with songwriting than the change in vocalist.

I think Falling Into Infinity is one of Dream Theater's better albums, and I would take it over some of their more recent ones.

Although I like both progressive metal and power metal, most "progressive/power" metal bands don't do it for me.

Last edited by Citanul on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 am

I prefer the Fates Warning albums Pleasant Shade of Grey, Disconnected & FWX over the rest of their catalogue.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 am

With the exception of Ultra Beatdown, I think Dragonforce is a fine metal band.

Force Of Habbit, Countdown To Extinction, Cuatro, I Hear Black, The Ritual, and Green are very enjoyable albums.

I consider the first two Alice In Chains albums metal.

No More Tears has better songs than any of the other Ozzy albums before it. I like the older stuff, but several times I want to hit the skip button when listening to them. I don't have that problem with NMT.

Lock Up The Wolves is easily on par with Dream Evil and Sacred Heart.

Andi Deris era Helloween is consistently better than the era before it.

Some Nu Metal and Metalcore can be good.

Reckoning Night is a great Sonata Arctica album.

Danzig III is better than Danzig I & II.

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 8:28 am

Fates Warning never did much for me, whether in their "US Power Metal" or their "progressive" phases.

...which now that I think about it, might explain why I'm so disinterested in Dream Theater as well, since FW were apparently a major influence on them.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 am

I think metal is better than metal.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 8:33 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think metal is better than metal.

You're wrong. Shame on you.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am

I think there are times when poor production adds something to a record, while clean/loud/clear production can take something away from it.

Granted most of that feeling stems from forgiving things from the 80's. But production values have never been a deal breaker for me.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:51 am

jstate wrote:
I think there are times when poor production adds something to a record, while clean/loud/clear production can take something away from it.

Granted most of that feeling stems from forgiving things from the 80's. But production values have never been a deal breaker for me.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Bruce Dickinson's Tattooed Millionaire for me is the perfect solo album.

No matter what you define them as - I like Poison's entire discography. And not just as guilty pleasure or nostalgia either.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 am

jstate wrote:

No matter what you define them as - I like Poison's entire discography. And not just as guilty pleasure or nostalgia either.
Me too. Say what you will but they write catchy, memorable songs. And I think their "Native Tongue" album is underrated among Poison fans.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 am

tohostudios wrote:
jstate wrote:

Me too. Say what you will but they write catchy, memorable songs. And I think their "Native Tongue" album is underrated among Poison fans.

I can't forgive them for "Unskinny Bop". They went too far for my tastes, but I'll fight anyone who says LWTCDI isn't one of the better "hair metal" albums.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 am

I agree on all the Poison love. I guess its a quilty pleasure but they do write catchy tunes.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 am

The best thrash metal has memorable hooks.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 am

Quote :

That reminds me...

Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth is not only the best Maiden album that Maiden never made, it is still superior to everything Maiden has released since Bruce re-joined.

(I have a feeling that thejokeriv will take issue with that one... hahaha)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

That reminds me...

Bruce Dickinson's Accident of Birth is not only the best Maiden album that Maiden never made, it is still superior to everything Maiden has released since Bruce re-joined.

Completely agree.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 am

yeah, 'A Matter of Life And Death' is fairly passable, but 'The Final Frontier' is just about the most boring thing I've heard from them. I'm sitting there wondering what in the world is going on as they're doing this. lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

5. "Show No Mercy" is better than "Reign in Blood"

ultmetal wrote:

Slayer's first two albums were their best. "Reign in Blood" is overrated. (Yes, I know, blasphemy!)

Holy cow! ToB and I actually agree on something. fainting

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Owning CDs by "grunge" bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.) does not make you the enemy, a sell-out or a traitor to the metal scene.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

That reminds me...

You are correct, Sir! LOL!

AoB is an awesome album and better than the Blaze albums, but the last 4 are better than AoB, IMHO. Chemical Wedding is damn good too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm

I prefer the "less metallic" Bruce solo albums Balls To Picasso and Skunkworks to Accident Of Birth. It was nice to hear Bruce mix things up stylistically during that era.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Owning CDs by "grunge" bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.) does not make you the enemy, a sell-out or a traitor to the metal scene.

This!

In fact, there is no such thing as being a traitor to the metal scene. If you dig a record, you dig it, end of story.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

In the battle is one of saint's weakest albums. While it is a good album, I never understood why it gets so much acclaim. The mark and hell blade are far superior albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 8 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 24  Next