Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Cold Lake is my favorite Celtic Frost album.

surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Quote :

S.D. wrote:

Most of the best heavy bands in history are from the UK & Europe.

How is this unorthodox? I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with this!

Until you start talking thrash.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:31 pm

I like recent Iron Maiden albums as much as classic Iron Maiden albums (and more than the first two).

There are very few live albums I enjoy (Made in Japan being the most obvious exception).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Time is the best Mercyful Fate album bar none.

You are high. Time isn't even the best 90s Mercyful Fate album. Clearly, it can't touch Melissa and DBTO.

The thread's title is called "Unorthodox Metal Opinions", you know. It's the best to me and besides you hate a lot of what I love so that shouldn't surprise you.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

You are high. Time isn't even the best 90s Mercyful Fate album. Clearly, it can't touch Melissa and DBTO.

The thread's title is called "Unorthodox Metal Opinions", you know. It's the best to me and besides you hate a lot of what I love so that shouldn't surprise you.

Indeed sir. I've just never heard someone say that before. Not that Time is bad or anything. I quite like it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Indeed sir. I've just never heard someone say that before. Not that Time is bad or anything. I quite like it.

At least you do like it. I've heard some Mercyful Fate fans tear it to shreads. For me it was the very first Mercyful Fate album I ever heard (I was already a big King fan when I discovered them. While the early ones are great, I had already been a long time fan of Time by the time I got those. I guess I'm also still turned off by the "hail Satan!" lyrics which time doesn't have (except for Nightmare Be Thy Name and Angel Of Light and even then it's not too prominent).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

At least you do like it. I've heard some Mercyful Fate fans tear it to shreads. For me it was the very first Mercyful Fate album I ever heard (I was already a big King fan when I discovered them. While the early ones are great, I had already been a long time fan of Time by the time I got those. I guess I'm also still turned off by the "hail Satan!" lyrics which time doesn't have (except for Nightmare Be Thy Name and Angel Of Light and even then it's not too prominent).

That makes perfect sense. My favorite 90s MF albums are In The Shadows and 9. The others are good as well. It's not like MF has even put out an average album. They are all rock solid, traditional metal, stuffed with tasty riffs.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Every album Exodus did with Souza and Baloff are masterpieces (yes, this includes Pleasures of the Flesh and Force of Habit). Everything else is shit.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Couple more to add before I get back to work:

-Music videos, as commercial as they can be, are a great form of translating a song's cinematic and theoretic application if done right and therefore should be employed more often.

-Nicko, sorry man, I love you, but you're a terrible drummer.

That last one was tough to get out. At least no one had a problem with the Aerosmith claims.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm

The albums with Dio are my least favorite Rainbow albums. I greatly prefer any of the Turner albums or Stranger in Us All
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I like the band Keel (Brian Jay and Marc Ferrari are a great tandem)

The best 80's Quiet Riot album was the S/T with Shortino at the helm.

Tesla was THE BEST MTV band of the late 80's

Jake E. Lee is Ozzy's best guitarist after Rhoads

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Retroactive is one of my favorite def leppard albums.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Vexer6 wrote:

Cold Lake is my favorite Celtic Frost album.

+1

I've said that many times here, including my earlier post on this thread. I've always taken that album as a parody of glam metal rather than a sellout (I don't know what it was supposed to be, that's just my personal take) and so I find it one of the most fun and entertaining albums ever made, even if it was by mistake. Plus it rocks. I like the earlier classic CF albums too, but this is the one I play the most by far.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I like recent Iron Maiden albums as much as classic Iron Maiden albums (and more than the first two).

Actually, not that unorthodox of an opinion. I also agree that the last 4 are just as good as the first 7.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:

Actually, not that unorthodox of an opinion. I also agree that the last 4 are just as good as the first 7.

same here.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 pm

1. CAULDRON BORN are a better band than IRON MAIDEN
2. The Blaze Bayley IRON MAIDEN albums are better than the recent Bruce ones (including all Bruce's solo albums)
3. "Fistful of Metal" is better than "State of Euphroria"
4. "Impact is Imminent" is better than "Bonded by Blood"
5. "Show No Mercy" is better than "Reign in Blood"
6. Ski (FAITH FACTOR, ex-DEADLY BLESSING, ex-ALTERED STATE) is a far better singer than Tim "Ripper" Owens.
7. Skolnick's guitar solos these days are pretty tasteless and terrible (UPDATE: They are much better on the new album than Formation or FSSD)
8. LETHAL is better than CAGE
9. Lars Ulrich's drumming >>>> Jon Schaffer's songwriting
10. FORCED ENTRY is much better than BELIEVER
11. Chuck Shuldiner played more bad guitar solos during his career than good ones
12. The worst guitar solo in all of metal history is at the beginning of FLOTSAM AND JETSAM's "Der Fuhrer"
13. Jeff Hanneman is the worst lead guitarist in all of metal history who has ever been interviewed by a guitar magazine
14. David Wayne's solo album is far better than every METAL CHURCH album since "Blessing in Disguise"
15. OVERKILL have more bad songs in their discography than good ones
16. SLAYER sold out during the 90s
17. If SLAYER had had Louie Clemente or Tom Hunting on drums they wouldn't have been half as popular as they are now
18. DREAM THEATER have written very few good songs since Kevin Moore quit
19. Tony Martin would be a better singer for CANDLEMASS now than Robert Lowe is
20. SEVEN WITCHES is the worst metal band to ever be signed by a large metal label
21. HELSTAR "Nosferatu" features the best twin guitar work in the entire history of metal.
22. TESTAMENT wrote a lot of mediocre songs in the 80s.
23. Dio's lyrics are really awful for the most part.
24. Halford sold out when it was commercially convenient and only returned to metal when all other doors had closed
25. "Cracked Brain" is by far DESTRUCTION's best album
26. "Rust in Peace" is the worst album of MEGADETH's first four releases
27. Andy LaRoque is the single best guitar soloist in all of metal history
28. ANTHRAX should be removed from "The Big 4" because of how poorly they have performed since they kicked out Belladonna
29. Danny Lilker writes better guitar riffs than Jon Schaffer
30. A lot of CORONER's music is hit or miss: some brilliant things and a lot of quirky, weird, goofy things that don't quite work
31. "Psycho Savant" is a much better album than "Among the Living"
32. ANVIL is a terrible band and shouldn't have ever expected financial success or fame.
33. MANILLA ROAD is also a terrible band.
34. So is CIRITH UNGOL.
35. Chris Barnes is a more interesting vocalist than George Fisher.
36. NILE is one of the most boring bands to ever get signed and tour.
37. "The Graveyard" is a better album than "Them".
38. So is "Spider's Lullabye".
39. OBSESSION "Methods to Madness" is far superior to the bulk of HAMMERFALL's catalog.
40. So is YNGWIE MALMSTEEN's "The Seventh Sign".
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Although it's not so controversial here...

"There is such a thing as Christian metal" would be considered unorthodox to some metal circles.

They think having metal guitar riffs and vocals but Christian lyrics magically changes the genre of music it is. I am sure we've come across one or two of those before, but I have a question for those who have...

Did you ask them if they have that stance on Christian rap or Christian punk music as well? I ask this because a lot of the easily offended "won't somebody please think of the children?" have three types of music they are vitriolic towards: metal, rap, and punk. The overwhelming majority of those types identify themselves as Christian.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

4. "Impact is Imminent" is better than "Bonded by Blood"
9. Lars Ulrich's drumming >>>> Jon Schaffer's songwriting
14. David Wayne's solo album is far better than every METAL CHURCH album since "Blessing in Disguise"
25. "Cracked Brain" is by far DESTRUCTION's best album
29. Danny Lilker writes better guitar riffs than Jon Schaffer
39. OBSESSION "Methods to Madness" is far superior to the bulk of HAMMERFALL's catalog.
40. So is YNGWIE MALMSTEEN's "The Seventh Sign".
Agree with all of these
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Adrenalize is my favorite DL album, and NO, it's not a freakin clone of Hysteria.

Brave New World and Somewhere in Time are my favorite Maiden albums, can't stand the DiAnno sludge.

I love 80's and early 90's Aerosmith so much better than the 70's catalog, which is a lot better than JPP by a mile.

Michael Sweet is an amazing vocalist

Slayer Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 78889

Some of the best metal out now-a-days is coming out of Germany, the "Gothenberg" sound sucks.

Shadows Fall and The Showdown are both fantastic.

the Moshketeers are a cross-over thrash band, and have a HUGE NY hardcore influence in their sound.

I don't get why Yngwie is so famous, brilliant player but his lyrics are terrible.

Megadeth's best era is Rust to Cryptic Writings

Metallica's Justice album is complete garbage

Alexi Laiho Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 499945

I like Kiss' Revenge and Psycho Circus albums

Neither Brian Posehn or Jim Brewer are funny.

Saxon and Raven are by far the best of the NWOBHM.

Last edited by jettafiend on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

2. The Blaze Bayley IRON MAIDEN albums are better than the recent Bruce ones (including all Bruce's solo albums)
Nope

Nope

13. Jeff Hanneman is the worst lead guitarist in all of metal history who has ever been interviewed by a guitar magazine
Mick Mars or C.C. Deville, plus Jeff writes great riffs.

16. SLAYER sold out during the 90s
Nope

17. If SLAYER had had Louie Clemente or Tom Hunting on drums they wouldn't have been half as popular as they are now
Explain???

26. "Rust in Peace" is the worst album of MEGADETH's first four releases
Nah, it's a better record than Killing or So Far, So Good

27. Andy LaRoque is the single best guitar soloist in all of metal history
He's a good player, but I wouldn't go that far into hyperbole.

30. A lot of CORONER's music is hit or miss: some brilliant things and a lot of quirky, weird, goofy things that don't quite work
The "quirky, weird" stuff is why they are so awesome, Coroner is one of the only thrash bands I can still listen to regularly.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 pm

"13. Jeff Hanneman is the worst lead guitarist in all of metal history who has ever been interviewed by a guitar magazine
Mick Mars or C.C. Deville, plus Jeff writes great riffs."

This. Absolutely this. Two of the worst guitarists in rock history. I think Bryan Adams is a better guitarist.

I also share the sentiment about Dream Theater and Kevin Moore. I see there are a lot of DT haters here, but Awake was a monumental album that was the most ethereal and progressive thing they've done thanks to Moore. After that it was all about copying popular metal riffage.

People need to stop calling Voivod a thrash band. Maybe once upon a time.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

My favorite believer album is transhuman.

I can't stomach king diamond most of the time. I've tried listening on occasion and can't shake the image in my head of Mickey Mouse in corpse paint. Sometimes he's fine, but his falsetto's often lack any sort of balls. His recent cameo on the volbeat song was great though.

I love the crap out of Dream Theater's "Train of Thought" album. Most people I've talked to poopoo everything post scenes, but TOT gives any thrash band on the planet a run for their money. I don't give a rat's behind if its pretentious or derivative, not as heady, or whatever. It kicks anus at rust in peace levels.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 pm

DevZor wrote:
My favorite believer album is transhuman.

I can't stomach king diamond most of the time. I've tried listening on occasion and can't shake the image in my head of Mickey Mouse in corpse paint. Sometimes he's fine, but his falsetto's often lack any sort of balls. His recent cameo on the volbeat song was great though.

THIS!! I have never understood why he is so popular.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 pm

While I love No More Tears and Ozzmosis, the rest of the Ozzy catalog other than maybe Bark at the Moon is uninteresting on a good day and grating on the others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 am

corplhicks wrote:

People need to stop calling Voivod a thrash band. Maybe once upon a time.

I didn't really become a Voivod fan until they hit their progressive phase...Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, Angel Rat and The Outer Limits. Those are the core albums that turned me into a fan and I think all of them hold up beautifully to this day. I remember when I started getting into King Crimson, one of the first things I realized was "oh, Piggy was a MAJOR Robert Fripp fan!", the Voivod stuff made even more sense to me at that point.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 7 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next