Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!

Go down 
+52
ZombieHavoc
the sentinel
deathisgain
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Required Fields
Thelemech
mlotek
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
Sutekh
Svengo
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Wurthless
bgsully
bass63
MetallicSeminarian
MoonChild
RAIDwarden
Wayne
Red Kitty
Orion Crystal Ice
springozzy
SpectreFate
corplhicks
stepcousin
nevermore
Alex Dee Rokket
DevZor
brokentulsa
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
tul
Boris2008
AchrisK
choosemetal
manny
Gilbert
Lari
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
James B.
Witchfinder
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
exact33
journeyman
thejokeriv
MEGATRON
kmorg
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm

DevZor wrote:

They really need a new producer, cuz I think whoever has been behind the knobs lately for maiden has been crushing or smothering some great material with the sound.

Wise words. I cannot stand Kevin "tin ears" Shirley.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm

journeyman wrote:
Somewhere In Time would be a good tour, maybe it'll happen.

Already did...it was the Somewhere Back In Time Tour a few years back...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:33 pm

S.D. wrote:
DevZor wrote:

They really need a new producer, cuz I think whoever has been behind the knobs lately for maiden has been crushing or smothering some great material with the sound.

Wise words. I cannot stand Kevin "tin ears" Shirley.

Could be worse, they could have hired Rick Rubin..........

One thing I don't get about Shirley - with Maiden, his 5.1 mixes are far better than his stereo mixes
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
journeyman wrote:

Yes, that's right. I believe it produced a greatest hits and used the Live After Death tour stage and bridged the 3 albums of Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son. I'd like to see concerts from all of the album tours if they have them, which may not be the case. I'm actually trying to convince the wife to take a vacation in Europe so we can see Steve Harris and possibly Maiden again, which seems to be losing to New Zealand.

correction: I meant Beast Over Hammersmith and not Beast On The Road.

Wouldn't it be great to have Martin Birch come out of retirement for Maiden.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 am

journeyman wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
journeyman wrote:

Yes, that's right. I believe it produced a greatest hits and used the Live After Death tour stage and bridged the 3 albums of Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son. I'd like to see concerts from all of the album tours if they have them, which may not be the case. I'm actually trying to convince the wife to take a vacation in Europe so we can see Steve Harris and possibly Maiden again, which seems to be losing to New Zealand.

That is the tour I saw in Sydney - Somewhere Back in Time - however it didn't feature as many songs as I would have hoped off Somewhere in Time. In fact the setlist was much closer to the Live After Death setlist with a few inclusions from Somewhere in Time (I believe Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait) and a couple off Seventh Son (I know Clairvoyant and Can I Play With Madness were there).

Of course they also had the Somewhere in Time Eddie on stage. However, what I would really like to see is Somewhere in Time covered back-to-back or at least a great portion of it. Songs like Caught Somewhere in Time, Stranger in a Strange Land and Sea of Madness at least need to be covered lived more often. But also Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. There are so many underrated gems on that album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
journeyman wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
journeyman wrote:

That is the tour I saw in Sydney - Somewhere Back in Time - however it didn't feature as many songs as I would have hoped off Somewhere in Time. In fact the setlist was much closer to the Live After Death setlist with a few inclusions from Somewhere in Time (I believe Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait) and a couple off Seventh Son (I know Clairvoyant and Can I Play With Madness were there).

Of course they also had the Somewhere in Time Eddie on stage. However, what I would really like to see is Somewhere in Time covered back-to-back or at least a great portion of it. Songs like Caught Somewhere in Time, Stranger in a Strange Land and Sea of Madness at least need to be covered lived more often. But also Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. There are so many underrated gems on that album.

Yeah, it's my favorite Maiden album...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 pm

I would like to Hear a studio recording of Iron Maiden And Killers albums in their entirety with Bruce Singing. headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I would like to Hear a studio recording of Iron Maiden And Killers albums in their entirety with Bruce Singing. headbanger

Nah, no reason to revisit all that. There are numerous live versions of Bruce singing quite a bit of that stuff plus a few studio re-recordings over the years.

I'd prefer to hear Maiden continue to write new material.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

I can't think of anything that I'd rather hear less! My favorite Maiden records by a wide margin, best left alone, there are plenty of records with Bruce singing.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

I think the first two should be left alone. I'd love to see Maiden Japan released or another concert from the Killers tour.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm

journeyman wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

I think the first two should be left alone. I'd love to see Maiden Japan released or another concert from the Killers tour.

100% agree with both statements
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Ok, I've been spinning Maiden England and is it me, but on disc two Bruce sounds different. Track 4 - Hallowed be thy name is the track I've noticed.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm

The songs on the first two Maiden albums were not written for a singer like Dick Brucington. (IMHDO)

Not that Bruce does a bad job with those songs in a live setting, it's just doesn't seem right.

I'm heading to the big city tommorow and will pick up Maiden England on DVD headbanger

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 pm

I think that they are doing the Maiden England set at Download this year. Not enough for me to go as it's a seriously crappy line up this year!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 am

Sadly (and not at all surprising) the CD is squashed to death:

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 102theevilthatmendo

Reportedly the DVD is less compressed and has an extra 3db of dynamic range, I'll just buy the DVD and rip the audio from it.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm

S.D. wrote:

Reportedly the DVD is less compressed and has an extra 3db of dynamic range, I'll just buy the DVD and rip the audio from it.

My copies (DVD and CD) FINALLY arrived today - I'll have to a bit of comparison this weekend on the overall sound of CD vs DVD.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm

S.D. wrote:

Watching the DVD now... the DVD doesn't sound brickwalled to me. The Cynbals sounds like cymbals.

Been switching between the 5.1 mix and the original mix - The guitars are much higher and drums much lower in the 5.1 mix. There is a HUGE difference between the DTS and Dolby 5.1 tracks. The Dobly version seems to be lacking quite a bit of low end......
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:23 pm

I'll hopefully pick up the dvd soon.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Sadly (and not at all surprising) the CD is squashed to death

Watching the DVD now... the DVD doesn't sound brickwalled to me.

What does squashed and brickwalled mean. Asking cause I've heard these terms and I'm not sure if I understand. Does squashed mean that the top and bottom are clipped.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 pm

journeyman wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

What does squashed and brickwalled mean. Asking cause I've heard these terms and I'm not sure if I understand. Does squashed mean that the top and bottom are clipped.

Our resident audio expert SD explains it all in this thread:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t19589-bands-with-the-worst-remastered-catalogs-what-do-you-think

BTW - had to run out and popped the CD in the car, it is way more brickedwalled than the DVD
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
journeyman wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Our resident audio expert SD explains it all in this thread:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t19589-bands-with-the-worst-remastered-catalogs-what-do-you-think

BTW - had to run out and popped the CD in the car, it is way more brickedwalled than the DVD
Just read it, thanks. makes perfect sense and now all this talk about remastering and cd vs lp is jiving.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 pm

The stereo mix on the DVD & the CD are the original Martin Birch mix (except for the bonus tracks which were done by Shirley)
The 5.1 mix was done by Shirley.

The DVD has a dynamic range of 9db
The CD has a dynamic range of 6db

Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

S.D. wrote:

Why so different. Shouldn't the CD be the soundtrack to the video or is it because of the 5.1.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 pm

journeyman wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Why so different. Shouldn't the CD be the soundtrack to the video or is it because of the 5.1.

Because CDs are supposed to be LOUD. Razz

DVDs generally (but not always) have better dynamic range than the CD releases. The stereo mix on the DVD is identical to the CD, they just added further compression to the CD during the mastering phase.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 pm

BUMP!

Since it was mentioned there is an OFFICIAL thread....

Mexico and some South America dates have announced..... Guests will be Slayer and Ghost
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next